Why do I have inactive peers?

hermanm

I am thinking ideally, every peer I connect with I should be either downloading from and/or uploading to. I understand sometimes the seed:leech ratio may not allow us to be active with every peer. Why not disconnect them? If I manually exclude the peer's IP via ipfilter.dat wouldn't I potentially connect with others that I can download from and/or upload to? Does manually manipulating connectable IPs negatively affect the swarm?

In cases with large inactive times.. there's SOME mucking with pieces there. If you all have the same %, then it's likely the seed which has on initial seed. If however you don't it's possible the peers themselves you're seeing are in initial seed. I wouldn't say it's regular, but there are instances where I'm seeding (not initial seed) and peers don't download from me for several hours. It's all about data throughput.. and given the standard view where people don't want to work effectively-- they choose to work "fast" --I'm amazed it works at all :P

You can't FORCE peers to download from you... as shown elsewhere recently, pull-based sharing isn't the best when you WANT to share data, but it certainly cuts down on wasted data (the alternative with push-based.. you take it because I'm offering it). That's a main reason for my niche always-on swarms I don't rely on the queue... since peers could inexplicably disappear or be blocked. The rotational nature of the queue may mean that they have to wait several hours on their end. This is my alternative :)

Good news regarding random disconnects http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2008/tc20080711_699714.htm

I've been a seeder connected to peers with inactive times greater than 12 hours.

My guess is most if not all of them are using selective downloading or seed-only mode.

However I still wonder if they're just "ghost" connections that ComCast already sent the remote RST packet to...but I failed to get mine so uTorrent still think they're connected.

Archived