excessive disk activity on large downloads

kaldak

overall amazing program. i'm very impressed at its functionality and size. i have only been having one problem with it. when i am downloading a large file (approx 1gb or more) there is constant access to my c: drive even when the download isnt going there. the download will be going to a usb drive in windows xp, and even at slow speeds (15kbps or so) my computer will be constantly doing something with the c: drive though the usb drive is only occationally accessed. it slows down the operation of windows to a crawl, though it does not seem to use much cpu. i have tried changing the diskio.write_queue_size number (to about 16000), and that seems to eliminate the disk overload error i get in conjunction with the problem, but it does nothing to help with the problem itself. this constant disk activity will continue untill the torrents are stopped or utorrent is closed. this certainly never happened with azureus.

i feel like i'm just missing some option, but i cant figure it out. any help would be most appriciated. thanks in advance.

i'll run it, but i'm positive utorrent is involved. as long as utorrent is running with a big download going this will happen, and shortly after stopping all large downloads or exiting utorrent the constant reading/writing will stop.

it kinda seems like page file behavior, but i dont see why as i have 512mb ram and nothing else of note running.

before someone suggests it, no, i dont have a virus or any adware that might be causing this

yes, i was seeing disk overload, but i was able to fix that by fiddling with the advanced options as mentioned above.

ok, i think i've found the culprit. it would seem Norton's SAVSCAN.exe was responsible, but ONLY when utorrent was downloading big files. It seemed to constantly be overzelously scanning those files. I dont believe Norton Antivirus has behaved in this manner with other torrent clients.

So its easy enough to work around but temporarily shutting down norton, and its very possible that if there is a fault its not in your program at all. In any case, if other people have this problem too perhaps its worth looking into.

Archived