Red Tracker

kriskriskris

Hi guys. I am getting the red icon on my torrents, that indicates a problem with the tracker. I checked the FAQ for this and found the reason... my torrents still download just fine, usually, even if the tracker is reading "Offline (timed out)" and I've got a red icon... thing is, it slows down my Internet or makes my browser unresponsive. For example, if I click a link, it won't do anything. I'll just remain on the page I clicked the link from. Then, if I close utorrent, everything picks back up again. This only occurs when icons are red.

Also, when one icon is red, all the rest turn red after a while, too, even if they're on separate trackers entirely. Why? & if I remove the red offending torrent, the rest go green again.

Can anyone address these two issues?

are you guys still interested in lending me advice?

I've changed the net.halfopen thing to 8, down from 50. The red icons appeared, but not as quickly. So I continued to bring the number down. Right now it's at 6, and it seems to be stable as far as red icons. (They'll probably appear later though. Hopefully not, but why kid myself or you into thinking it's fixed? lol) But I've STILL got slow Internet when utorrent is on. I've done all the other things according to the guide you linked me to, jewelisheaven, but I still notice pages take foreverdy ever to load with utorrent running. It hasn't been this bad since utorrent last updated (I'm running the beta version). I was hoping I could switch to the previous version, which seemed more friendly, but someone in the thread about the beta version yelled curse words at me when I asked if I could do that, so I guess it's a no no.

Firon, that was in jewelisheaven's guide, and I did try everything in her guide. I never use DHT because the tracker I'm usually connected to doesn't allow it, anyway. I don't use any sort of firewall aside from windows firewall, and I have that set up to bypass the port I use for utorrent. =(

Far from wishing to accept flattery, it's not MY guide. I didn't have any hand in making it. The resident information-dissemination-expert Ultima and others worked on it long before I even heard of uT :P

As far as continued troubleshooting... If you're already running minimal services, what connection settings are you using? Have you lowered per-torrent connections to 20 OR LESS, what about net.max_halfopen to 4, or 2?

You've got a static IP... can you try re-making the rule for a different port on a different IP...

I just switched my upload rate to 50 today, and alternate to 200 when there are no downloads active. Speed guide says my upload is 900 and I usually rounded it down to 500. I still haven't got any red tracker issues but my Internet is still sorta boggy.

If you're already running minimal services, what connection settings are you using?

5000kb/s for my download rate and like I said above, usually I had my upload at 500 but now it's at 50/200.

As for per torrent connections, I've got it at 10. I think. I have "Number of upload slots for torrent" at 10. Is that what you mean? Max number of connected peers is 1000, and max connection is 200. Does all that sound ok?

How much does lowering my net.max_halfopen impede my download speeds? Is that something I should worry about?

Thanks for the help XD

Archived