disk overloaded 100%?????????

viralinfection

I had this problem and it turned out my hard drive was dying. It was only 9 months old so I wasn't suspecting it straight away.

If you try all of the suggestions here and nothing seems to work, run hard drive diagnostics (WD Data Lifeguard works great if you have a Western Digital drive) to see if your drive is bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I read this thread and got worried of my HD.

I had changed my laptop's 160GB HD to 500GB to be able to torrent properly. Recently my laptop started to show temperature of 72 degrees and such, whereas earlier it had been in the 50s. And uTorrent seemed to be one culprit, the process took around 50% of CPU time. I tried to control the temperature with RMClock, throttling the CPU as much as possible, and got the temperature down a bit, but even idling the temperature stayed high. A few blows to the fan area brought about a cloud of dust, and brought the temperature down to the original. Even uTorrent didn't raise the temp a lot, but kept eating the CPU time. Only then I noticed the disk overloaded 100%, though the downloading rate had been low for a while, too. uTorrent won't close on exit, have to end the process via Task Manager.

Got scared that my relatively new hard disk would be dying, ran the manufacturer's (Samsung) diagnostic, is supposedly ok. Defragmented the partition. Still disk overloaded 100% (although now I noticed it increasing gradually from 0%). Stopped my newest torrent, which was some 8GB files, terminated the process and restarted. Voilà, the problems gone! So there seems to be a problem how my systems handles (or does not know how to handle) large files. I had managed to complete one 8GB file, but another one seems to be too much. Could someone confirm this behaviour?

• 2 weeks later...

Relax bros, this has nothing to do with your disk drives or any other hardware. I've had the same problem. Disk cache would fill up and download stop.

Here is how I fixed it:

1. Close uTorrent and make sure it's closed by ending task in task manager.

2. Uninstall uTorrent completely, including all settings and preferences.

3. Download and run the newest version in portable mode.

4. Make sure all settings got reset to their defaults.

Now uTorrent should write to disk with no problems. ;)

Found this thread and figured I'd try to clear things up a bit for everyone.

The cache is basically a place in memory where uTorrent stores data before writing it to the hard disk. This way, instead of constantly having to write to disk and potentially slowing things down, it can gather up a bunch of stuff and write it in one go (kinda like getting gas, going to the bank and buying groceries all in one trip). This is good because writing to a hard drive is terribly slow compared to writing to memory, so it pays to be efficient.

The "Disk overloaded" error basically means that the cache has built up the maximum amount of data it is capable of storing without having a chance to clear itself (by writing to the disk). This could be caused by several things, for example another process is using the disk heavily so that uTorrent can't access it very often (uTorrent tries to stay in the background, so it will let other processes use the disk before it does), or if you have an older (or cheap) hard drive then it may just not be able to keep up. This is why manually increasing cache size does not fix the underlying problem; once the new space fills up you're back to where you were before.

There are many things that can cause a problem like this, and just as many solutions. You could try killing any disk-intensive processes, or installing a higher-quality hard drive, for example.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

I seem to have permanently solved the problem, which appeared only when I tried to dl big files (ie: > 10GB).

For some unknown reason Windows was unable to create then files where to empty the cache, therefore virtually halting the download process and forcing me to kill the process in Task manager, losing all the data downloaded.

To prevent that from happening, I had just to check "Pre-allocate all files" in the main Options screen, deleting the "big" torrents, rebooting for good measure and loading the troubled torrent.

Et-voilà. That's it. The files are immediately crated (which, I know, can be a nuisance on certain circumstances) and the cache is correctly emptied.

I hope you'll find this helpful. :)

the new 3.0 i had issues on my 2 systems with the disk cache making my system hang (mouse still moves) for an bit, pressing stream button mid download does it nearly every time (when download finishes utorrent acts like nothing has happened)

i have never had issues with the old versions of utorrent with the disk cache stalling the system (its an i7 920 with an SSD in it) i not but the oder version on my server as that system is headless (no KVM), remote connection only as i want to still be able to use it when downloading

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there.

I seem to have permanently solved the problem, which appeared only when I tried to dl big files (ie: > 10GB).

For some unknown reason Windows was unable to create then files where to empty the cache, therefore virtually halting the download process and forcing me to kill the process in Task manager, losing all the data downloaded.

To prevent that from happening, I had just to check "Pre-allocate all files" in the main Options screen, deleting the "big" torrents, rebooting for good measure and loading the troubled torrent.

Et-voilà. That's it. The files are immediately crated (which, I know, can be a nuisance on certain circumstances) and the cache is correctly emptied.

I hope you'll find this helpful. :)

Thanks! This worked for me too in the opposite way!. The problem with the bigger files than 10GB ,make utorrent dumping physical memory,no matter what size you put in the field "Override automatic cache disk size" in the Disk Cache in advanced option menu.To resolve permanently the problem you must !!!uncheck!!! "Pre-allocate all files" in the main Option screen exit utorrent and start it again and reload the problem torrent!If you start task manager in process,you will see that utorrent start raising the memory but after a while its back to normal and no more problems with disk overloaded.

Hope that this will help you all!

• 2 months later...

FIXING LOADING ERROR.

---- HELLO I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR SOME TIME. IT OVERLOAD COMES AND GOES. IT SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WITH UTORRENT DUMPING THE CACHE... ALL I NEEDED TO DO WAS RE-INSTALLMENT OF IT. RUN A SETUP TEST. BUT I STILL HAD THE OVERLOAD PART. I FEEL AS IF UTORRENT IS GLITCHING!. I FOUND OUT IF YOU GO TO UR ADVANCE AND REFRESH IT. IT SEEMS TO FLIX THE GLICH. SO CHANGE SOME THINGS UP. THEN CHANGE THEM BACK.,,, ALL OF MINE ARE DEFAULTS BUT I NOW RUN INCREASE AUTO CACHE SIZE WHEN CACHE THRASHING :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 7 months later...

"Hello IT! Have you tried turning it off and on again???..."

I don't often get this stupid problem, but rebooting the computer seems to fix it.

I tried shutting down uTorrent and then starting it up again. And the download starts and goes up to 1.1 MB/s which is about my maximum speed (10 Mbit/s). And then after about two minutes at best it goes down to like 10 Kbyte/s.

I also tried limiting the overall download speed in uTorrent to 400 Kbyte/s on start and then successively rise it to 500 Kbyte/s and then 600 Kbyte/s and then let it download at that speed. For a while it seemed to work but then it dies on me again...

I know that Vista caches/prefetches memory like crazy but I noticed that my free physical memory was down to like 3 or 4 MB at the time when this happens. I tried freeing up some memory by shutting down other programs but it didn't help. I have 4 GB of Corsair DDR2 800 MHz memory and the disk is a Seagate 7200 RPM SATA and yes it's in DMA mode (I checked).

Not sure what the heck is its problem but obviously rebooting the computer altogether seems to solve the issue. After rebooting I was speeding like a cat, at 1.1 MB/s.

The best proven method of solving stupid computer problems like this is to turn the damn thing off and turn it back on again.

I'm not gonna bore you anymore, just turn the thing off and turn it back on again. If you are like me and you prefer to put your computer in hibernation (deep sleep) instead of shutting it down, then you might want to reconsider, as too many hibernations without a proper reboot tend to mess things up and make the computer act up like this. Things change on the computer and it needs an occasional reboot.

For the record, I'm on version 3.2 build 27886.

Archived