IP Filter. Yes or No ?

ScubaSteve

After all the debate going on in the other topic i thought the easiest way to see if the feature is wanted is by a vote, that way ludde can see how we all feel on it.

Please take into account that there are programs such as peerguardian and protowall which can already be used for such a thing and that implementing one into uTorrent will only waste useful development time that could be spent on implementing other more useful features.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please take into account that there are programs such as peerguardian and protowall which can already be used for such a thing and that implementing one into uTorrent will only waste useful development time that could be spent on implementing other more useful features.

Well, that's YOUR opinion. It's not a certainty... But besides that, good idea about the poll :).

God help the software project that decide feature sets by message board voting systems. In almost all cases the "Yes" votes will outnumber the "No" by a significant margin, no matter which feature it is.

Anyway, if you want to do a poll you should have been more clear about what kind of IP filter you mean. Is this for a PG/PW style massive blocklist, or simply an automatically created temporary filter to block IPs which are sending you bad data?

God help the software project that decide feature sets by message board voting systems. In almost all cases the "Yes" votes will outnumber the "No" by a significant margin, no matter which feature it is.

Anyway, if you want to do a poll you should have been more clear about what kind of IP filter you mean. Is this for a PG/PW style massive blocklist, or simply an automatically created temporary filter to block IPs which are sending you bad data?

clearly you havent read the ip filter topic otherwise u would have known i was talking about the PG/PW type blocklist feature.

the blocking ip becoz of bad data feature should certainly be implemented. but the program doesnt need to have a blocklist feature like that of peerguardian/protowall. it is just going to bloat a perfectly good program.

the blocking ip becoz of bad data feature should certainly be implemented. but the program doesnt need to have a blocklist feature like that of peerguardian/protowall. it is just going to bloat a perfectly good program.

I agree... If there is already 2 programs dedicated to block ips then there is no need to spend dev time in adding it to uTorrent. Time is better spent in other things.

developing a plugin or feature that only a couple of ppl are going to use when there are perfectly good programs that do the same thing only better is a waste of time. there is peerguardian and protowall available, both of which have had alot of time spent on them and will be far more effective as they can control bad ips to all p2p applications and not just uTorrent. all this feature is going todo is make the program larger, more resource heavy, add bugs and waste useful development time in trying to get it to work correctly which could be used for far more useful features or tidying up and improving current performance.

Yes, If it means filtering out bad data.

No, If it means peerguardian style features, We already have enough security programs to take care of anything. Paranoia will not be cured because you see the word 'IP FILTERING' in a program.

same here... :P

Yes, If it means filtering out bad data.

No, If it means peerguardian style features, We already have enough security programs to take care of anything. Paranoia will not be cured because you see the word 'IP FILTERING' in a program.

same here... :P

After all the debate going on in the other topic i thought the easiest way to see if the feature is wanted is by a vote, that way ludde can see how we all feel on it.

My, oh my, that's a magnificent and unbiased summary of the issue, isn't it? Everyone now has all they need to make their own opinion, heh? I wish judges would announce their cases like that right at the beggining of trials. It would make justice so much better, easier too.

Fine demonstration of democracy, ScubaSteve!

yw :D i was merely stating that there are other programs that are far more effective at doing the job of blocking ips. both PG and PW have had alot more time to develop tested until they work effectively.

im sure some of you remember peerguardian 1 and how repetative connection attempts from a ban ip would cause the program to start using all the cpu and ram,

by trying to implement the feature into uTorrent its going to waste alot of other more useful development time. the fact that utorrent uses so little ram and cpu is what most ppl love about it, by putting something like this in could completely f**k up a decent program.

but hey thats just mine and 20 other ppls opinions.

i wasnt trying influence ppl into pressing no, i was only informing them that there are other programs specifically designed for the task of ip blocking and will do it far more effectively.

I've read all of these topics and you people seem to put this down.

I for one don't feel the need to block "bad" ranges when I'm only on my computer. I only like it for when I'm on my torrents.

Secondly I believe that the fbi needs evidence to accuse you with. IE they need to connect to your machine and show that you actually getting what they accuse you of getting. I have not seen anyone prove this wrong with real evidence. Until I see that I'm going to have to disagree with your views that them having my IP makes me a convicted con.

Thirdly, I have come from Azureus to this program. I thought wow no more long load times and it's smaller. I have been informed by many that they had planned on including the similar features of Azureus as to grab us users for their own user base. If they chose to not at this they are going agains't what they said.

my $.02

In the end I'd like to see it added.

thanks for your time and keep up the hard work utorrent coders because you have already created a miniture revolution in torrent clients as I know it.

im sure some of you remember peerguardian 1 and how repetative connection attempts from a ban ip would cause the program to start using all the cpu and ram

Actually, you just made a good argument FOR including support for support for them.

Running PG seperately, you would have utorrent repeatedly retrying those blocked IP's over and over again.

With IP blocking support, the first time utorrent could check the blocklist for itself and knowing it is blocked instead of just not being able to connect, it could add that IP to its internal banned IP list and won't attempt to try connecting to it anymore, allowing utorrent to use that time to attempt to connect to other IP's that aren't suspect.

The support doesn't have to be native in utorrent, but being able to support a plugin for it like some other trackers do would be a good idea. Keeps things modular. Don't want that functionality? Don't install the plugin.

r00ted would probably be in a better position to talk about how this kind of thing would be implemented.

-- Smoovious

im sure some of you remember peerguardian 1 and how repetative connection attempts from a ban ip would cause the program to start using all the cpu and ram

when i said that i meant that peerguardian used all the resources.

adding the ability to use plugins would be a good idea, but thats a very large feature to implement. id be happy with just DHT.

Blocking IPs of people who sent X amount of bad data? Yes please.

SafePeer/Peerguardian-like filtering? Hell No.

If you want your BitTorrent client to act as your webserver, IRC client, RSS client, or firewall, just go back to Azureus.

Archived