HELP! modem port issue

baby_kittles

hey everyone...ok i'm a little technically disabled so i'm please excuse my terms for description if they're wrong...sorry!

anyways...previously i was using a speedstream 5200 from sympatico and everything was amazing i could download on avg about 4MB but it started to emit some noise on occasion so bell sent me their new 2wire...nooowww...i can only download at about 60KB and i have that little yellow triangle saying that the port is not open...so i try to open the port but any random port i open it always says that the port is closed.

i've read through a couple of other threads and tried:

- disabling the router feature on the modem and telling to act solely as a modem

- checking to see if there is a hidden firewall and router within the modem itself and changing all the features to that

- re-installing uTorrent...just in case

I am running both of these exact systems on a vista & a xp computer both hardwired to the modem..o...and they're both PCs...

what to do??? thanks for all suggestions in advance...haha i really need it!

Last I looked, ADSL v2 modems were only capable of speeds up to 24 megabits/second down and only ~1 megabits/second up. (That upload limit really chafes.)

That means download speeds beyond 3 MegaBYTES/second with incompressible data as typically found in torrents...is impossible with an ADSL line.

Perhaps the poster meant something else than 4 MegaBYTES/second download speed?

4 MB in seconds?

Hi I am having the same issue, I am a very new to this and new to using forums. But by what i have researched on this forum i can see that before i get any help from anyone you need some info from me. I am having the same issue as this guy slow download speeds, about 15 to 30 kbp/s. I have been using utorrent for a while. When initial set up was done i am pretty sure i had a green light and had some good decient download speeds. I didnt use it then for a while for lack of time and desire. Now im getting back into it and noticing these poor download speeds. I am running vista and have followed allot of instruction such as ceating a static ip and port forrwarding. I have utorrent on my list of thing for windows firewall to allow, and i even have a good share ratio, above 1.0. Here is my settings if i do not provide enough info please let me now what you need to know. Network status light is yellow; speed guide settings are; connection type is unlimitted; maximum upload rate is auto it usually is between 60 and 70kbp/s; enable upnp port mapping checked; enable nat-pmp port mapping checked; upload slots pro torr is 5; connections is 100; connections global is 1000; max active torr and down is 25 current port i am using is; net.max_halfopen is set to 8; i have dsl connection speeds are 2850 kbp/s down and 600 kbp/s up; my isp is embarq; router i am using is a lynsys wrt54g.

hiro77,

Some things to try:

Disable automatic upload rate.

Choose no higher than xx/768k (768 kilobits/second upload speed max) from Speed Guide (CTRL+G)...you may need to reduce upload speed after that to as low as 60 KiloBYTES/second.

Uploading should be stable right at the max you set it to, given enough busy torrents to have peers to upload to.

Your router will probably have severe problems with more than 500 connections at once...and may even have problems with 150 connections at once.

thank you for the advice upload speeds are up to 70 and 80 but i still have a yellow icon network status and when i test the port it still comes back as not open. Is there a specific port i should use? If you need more info i will do my best to provide it.

I am still not getting ports to forward i have configured the only firewall i have that i know of which is the windows firewall. and i still get a yellow network status light "no incomming connections" but something of intrest when i right click on it and disable the sheduler it goes green for a few min then goes back to yellow this i dont understand. Also while the light is green ports still arent forwarded. Could there be any way that my isp has a firewall that i cannot configure? If my modem is firewalled how do i configure it.

Archived