DHT peers.. How many is normal/good?

Neonix

I've currently made the switch from Azureus to uTorrent (latest 1.3.1 beta build). It's currently been running for about 10-15 hours with a few torrents. So far so good, but: i'm only connected to 280 DHT peers.. Is this normal? Coming from Azureus where i used to have like 600.000-1.100.000 DHT users online, this seem a bit little...

I've searched and couldnt find any topic regarding this. I rely on DHT alot when i download rare/old torrents, and with Azureus i would always get status "OK :dht" after a while, even if it couldnt find any trackers to connect to. But with around 280 peers compared to upto a million this is probably gonna get alot worse with uTorrent or am i missing something here?

i get about the same i think its cos the DHT is different to the one that Azureus uses.. however ive seen it say found 690 peers on the actual torrent even tho it says im connected to about 280 or so at the bottom so maybe it works by connecting u to some peers and the peers u are connected to are connected to different ones, kinda like how limewire and that work (i think anyway! lol)

This has been answered several times on the forum already. µTorrent only shows the number of nodes you're connected directly to. Those nodes are definitely connected to other nodes that you're not connected to yourself, but you're still connected indirectly in the whole network. When Azureus says there are 600,000+ people connected, it's talking about the estimated (?) number of people in the whole network, not who you're connected to directly. It would be insane to have that many simultaneous connections.

Time to add a new FAQ entry, Firon? "Why does µTorrent connect to less DHT nodes than Azureus/BitComet/whatever?" =P

This has been answered several times on the forum already. µTorrent only shows the number of nodes you're connected directly to. Those nodes are definitely connected to other nodes that you're not connected to yourself, but you're still connected indirectly in the whole network. When Azureus says there are 600,000+ people connected, it's talking about the estimated (?) number of people in the whole network, not who you're connected to directly. It would be insane to have that many simultaneous connections.

Time to add a new FAQ entry, Firon? "Why does µTorrent connect to less DHT nodes than Azureus/BitComet/whatever?" =P

Ok :) thanks for the informative reply. I searched for "DHT" and didn't find a similar topic.

I was thinking this was the way it worked, since it says "peers" which means it's actually connected to them. Azureus reports 600.000+ in the "Neighbourhood", and i figured out that i aint really connected to all of them ofcourse (600k+ connections would probably mess up my router, my connection, and so on, so :)

Archived