download speed suddenly cuts - comcast

chopficaro1

hey all ive got comcast and ive been downloading quite a bit with utorrent lately. i usually cap off at 768kb/s and flatline there with one particular group of new torrents. however, i just started a new group that should have done the exact same thing but instad what happens is the overall download speed approaches that number but before it reaches it it cutts of and i dont get more than .1kb/s from any peer. i can restart the downloads but the same thing happens. the numbers go high, then slow really fast. whats going on?

I'm on ComCast as well, connected through Florida in fact.

It's possible your networking hardware or software isn't up to the task with the settings you're using in uTorrent. The overload is so severe that speeds die to almost nothing in an instant.

So, have you tried the 1st and 2nd links in my signature?

Do note that ComCast uses something called "SpeedBoost" that gives temporary bursts of speed...you cannot count on that to last more than a couple minutes. Also, it throws speed tests off, since SpeedBoost can run almost the whole time of speed tests. :(

yeah i usually see the torrents go past 1000 kb/s for a few seconds then they settle down to 768 with a group like this. my hardware is brand new and ive done this with 80gb groups with even more seed recently and the pattern is always bump past 1000 then settle at 768. ive watched the peers individually. im getting 30+kb/s from each user and then a few seconds later bam down to .1 kb/s. i knew comcast throttled my uploads but not my downloads. i know its not my hardware. is comcast fucking with me?

Newness of hardware does not guarantee stability.

In fact, some of the older tech works better. (Case in point, older Linux-based Linksys routers...especially when using custom firmware!)

D-Link and Belkin routers, wireless, and USB connections tend to not be able to handle typical Speed Guide settings for uTorrent.

What settings are you trying to use in uTorrent and what's your networking hardware and software?

it shouldn't matter because ive handled many many many workloads larger than this before, with more connections and more seeds, and very recently too.

but ill tell u because u asked. i have a linksys and my connection settings are as bloated as they can possibly be.

but im telling u it shouldn't matter because ive seen this router handle greater things on utorrent.

i suspect comcast is doing this manually or something, maybe because ive been sucking up their bandwidth allot lately?

A router can die slowly or all at once.

ComCast is doing a lot of stuff I don't like. I'd have changed ISPs already were the deals in my area even a tiny bit better. ADSL offers here are 3 megabits/second down tops. :(

You have to download about 250 GB a month probably before they'd do much to you. Dunno about upload side...I'm going to find out soon if I keep seeding though. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Archived