Mysterious Tracker Time Out

zxcvbnm6000

Hello. For the last few weeks I have been having a problem with uTorrent. Every half-hour when uTorrent goes to update tracker status and information for one site, it says the tracker is "Offline (Timed out)". After that my speeds start to drop as seeds and peers are disconnected. Then it stays that way until I close and restart uTorrent. After a restart my down and up speed will not go above 5 kB/s total. So I have to restart again and after that everything works fine until the next tracker status update. All torrents not related to that site work fine. Though this sounds like a tracker only issue, to date I seem to be the one one that has it. Could use some help, since it is pain to babysit uTorrent all day.

To save some time, here is a link to the tracker's forum, where I have been discussing the issue and troubleshooting steps I have taken. http://forums.boxtorrents.com/index.php?topic=13429.0

Lowering half-open to 8 or less does nothing?

It was already at 8 and I tried lowering it to 4. Just in case, I restarted uTorrent after that change but at the 30 minute tracker update, they timed out. I waited 10+ minutes and they never reconnected.

And uh, for AV, BitDefender Free or AVG. For firewall, Comodo firewall.

I hoped you wouldn't say AVG. I lost a number of files to trojans it missed.

Truth be told, boxtorrents has always been kind of unstable, so I'm honestly not sure if you have some sort of weird problem on your end.

So do you have any other suggestions that might at least figure out where this problem lies, because I have basically exhausted all my ideas as well as a number of others peoples'?

EDIT: Is there a way to change the time out settings in uTorrent so that it has extra time to communicate with the tracker before timing out?

EDIT2:My problem seems to have gone away, apparently changing the half-open to 4 in uTorrent didn't take effect until I restarted my PC. Or something completely different changed completely that I had no control over, but thanks for the help.

Archived