weird utorrent problem

teemoh

I've been using utorrent for years and i cant figure out what the problem is, maybe someone out there can help.

Today after i had been running utorrent for a few hours, my internet stopped working, not to say i was disconnected from the internet, but my browsers could not pull up _any_ page IE or firefox as well as i couldnt download any e-mail through Windows Mail. The weird part is that utorrent is still downloading and uploading - not even at speeds that would be considered to be hoggin my bandwidth. No problems with the other computer sharing the router, and even after i close utorrent, the internets still down, this is only fixed with a reboot.

The problem doesnt start until i load utorrent.

Any suggestions?

Actually, last night I started having the EXACT same problem. Weird thing is that I can still access online applications such as AIM and Warcraft III. Internet activity seems to return about 20 minutes after shutting down uTorrent. I've also gone through the necessary steps of disabling DHT, LPD, etc. Any help would be great.

Prior to posting i had done all the steps in the "SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS" on Ultimas Troubleshooting guide EXCEPT patching tcpip.sys... thinking there was no way that could be my problem. Checking EventViewer i realized i was getting a 4226 error as i loaded uTorrent (Event ID 4226 in Event Viewer describes TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts ).

As it turns out i checked my windows update and i had recently installed a missing SP1 security update from a looong time ago... But everything works now after following the instructions and using the autopatcher at :

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/17/download-vista-tcpipsys-and-uac-auto-patcher-to-increase-tcp-connection-limit/

Next time i'll be a little more thorough in looking for solutions. But hopefully this post will help other people still having the problem.

*Personal Note* at first with the autopatcher i was getting conflicting SUCCESSFUL/ERROR messages and the patch was not working even using "Run as Administrator". I booted into safe mode and ran the patch with no ERRORS then everything worked beautifully.

Do you have DHT, UPnP, LPD, and/or Resolve IPs enabled in uTorrent?

(These make anywhere between a few extra to a lot extra connections.)

Also, does your torrents have some/many/lots of trackers for each?

(These seem to not count against uTorrent's "regular" half open limit and can trigger 4226 errors because of it...though fortunately they are not contacted often.)

Archived