100 seeds, 500 peers. Expect slow speeds?

hermanm

If a torrent has a 100 seeds and 500 peers, does this mean that I should expect to connect to only two peers that I can download from? The other 8 may or may not connect to me? You'd think there would be enough relevant pieces for more peers to download from. Is this the nature of torrents hosted on public trackers?

15 peers. Seven are 100%, the other half are not complete. Average of 15 peers is 73.6% complete. Average relevancy score is 34. This is the only torrent I am participating in. Upload max is 200 KiB/s. I'm averaging about 70 KiB/s to 140 KiB/s download. Encryption is Forced, DHT off, Legacy not allowed.

Have I been using the terminology incorrectly? I think of peers as anyone you are connected with. Seeds if that connected IP is 100%. I don't say "leechers" unless to be deragatory, as in, "those f''''' leechers!" Public trackers must attract more conditions unfavorable to Bittorrent.

I guess a seed is just a 100% peer, if you say so. :)

I get decent speeds from public trackers, sometimes better than I do from private torrents!

It depends on how willing people are to seed once they finish the download...for stuff like music and movies, I expect they stop the torrent on average within an hour or 2 of finishing. Many people don't care about getting 1:1 ratios.

If you lower your upload speed by 10 KiloBYTES/second (to 190), does your download increase or decrease?

I'm not sure what your "best" upload speed is for your line, since I know almost nothing about it atm.

I've got ComCast as well, but officially I can only upload at 1 megabit/second and download at 6 megabit/second. SpeedBoost may temporarily put download as high as 10 and upload as high as 2.5 ...but they only stay that high for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

ComCast is trying very hard to disrupt seeding here. It sometimes takes an hour or 2 after I start uTorrent before I can get back to my max upload speed...of around 125 KiloBYTES/second.

In my experiments with download/upload combinations, I max out my download while uploading somewhere between 50-100 KiloBYTES/second. Even uploading at 100 KiloBYTES/second, I'm still getting probably 95+% of max download...so there's really no point in lowering my upload (while downloading) any lower than that.

Like you said, not all areas are affected the same. Comcast was forging disconnect packets here, but after the FCC admonishment, they stopped in my area. I am subscribed to BLAST! which gives me the sustained 2 megabit/sec upload speed. On private torrents with seed:leech ratio of 2:1, I can usually reach 500 kB/s and sometimes 1MB/s if I connect with a Japan or Swedish seed.

Archived