having trouble opening port in linksys wireless router

etep513

Hi, I have been using utorrent for a long time without any problems. I have a westell 6100 which works just fine (the port was open and download speeds were normal). However, I just got a Linksys Wireless G router and I can't seem to forward a port. The linksys g router is also connected to the original westell 6100 dsl modem via network cable. The etheret cable used to go in the westell 6100 but now it's in the linksys. I tried to follow the instructions on portforward.com, but when I did the wireless internet connection was down. What should I do to forward the port?

Are you sure you followed the directions properly? Try again, and if you still have trouble, post the steps you followed, and post the following information from your computer for verification:

Operating System.

All the addresses entered for static addressing.

Your network topology. Example: Cable hookup [brighthouse (ISP)] > WebSTAR DPC2100R2 [Cable Modem] > Linksys WRT54G [router] > Computers

While in dynamic/automatic: Control Panel > Network Connections > Double-click your connection > Support tab > Details > Everything except physical address.

Set your Westell 6100 DSL modem for bridge mode:

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/NetworkSteps/Case6445LinksysWestell6100.pdf

You currently have a double NAT (both devices are assigning IP address) which is causing set up issues.

Your IP address can remain dynamic, but if it changes, you have to re-do your port forwarding assignment to the new IP address.

That would also help, but doesn't explain him loosing 'net access while statically configured on the Linksys. etep513: if your Westell uses PPPoE, and you bridge it, you'll need to set up PPPoE in your Linksys. My guide should help with that.

I tried following the instructions for the static ip again and it didn't work. The connection on failed after I did it. The internet went down when I went to Control Panel>Network Connections>Intel Pro 10/100>Internet protocol tcp/ip. I did exactly what the instructions said, but then the internet on my desktop goes down. I'll try doing bridge mode. What is PPPoE? How do I know if that's how the network is set up? For now, I'll try bridge mode. Thanks for your help guys.

Here are my system specs:

Windows Vista Premium 64 bit

Ip address: 192.168.0.102

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Name Server: 192.168.1.1

Note: I had only one dns server listed. In the instructions there were two. Also, it says that i have a dhcp server which has the same address as the default gateway. I don't know if that's important or not. BTW, how do I find the network topology. One of you asked about that.

Hermanm, the instructions that you gave me for bridge mode are out of date. Verizon has already changed the layout of the router setting page and I could not find anything that closely resembled what you were talking about. I will try to get in touch with them about it.

If you see PPPoA/PPPoE listed somewhere on the Westell as your current connection type, then it's in PPPoA mode. There are two paths you can take from here, one would be to figure out how to port forward on your Westell, and use bridge mode on your Linksys (if available, giving me a model number will help), the other would be to bridge your Westell, but if it uses PPPoE it requires a few extra steps. If the Linksys router is a good model, I'd bridge the Westell. Is the Linksys a WRT54G? Not a very good one. Are the addresses you posted from automatic addressing?

As for port forwarding the Westell, taking pictures of the new interface would allow us to give direction. You can also try to search Verizons website, but they can be misleading with directions.

Network topology is just a map of how your computers are connected, like my example above which is Modem > Router > Computer, except I put models and stuff.

My linksys is a WRT54G2. What would be the best course of action to take with this router? I'll check the settings to see if it's PPPoA/PPPoE.

BTW, my westel 6100f was already forwarded before I got the linksys wireless router.

The specs on the G2 don't look good, I would set the Linksys to bridge mode. If the firmware is similar to others, the option should be on the setup page, where it says Connection Type. The default setting for that should be DHCP - Automatic or something. Once you do that, it'll be like your computers connected to the Westell, set the Westells port forwarding as such.

The only option that I saw (when I logged into the modem settings was to disable the DHCP server). Is that what I should do? As for the PPPoE, I am absolutely clueless as to whether or not the westell has those settings. When I went into the westell settings, I did not see that listed anywhere.

I don't want to mess around with 3rd party firmware. Will bridging the westell solve the problem? I can't find the feature for that since the instructions were for outdated firmware. When I went into network connections in the control panel, it said that my internet connection was Intel® PRO 100 VE Network Connection.

Archived