having trouble opening port in linksys wireless router

etep513

I made this batch script. It sets up a static IPa according to your Linksys router. It can also backup network settings and set things back to automatic: http://www.mediafire.com/?ldkstbgjuzt

Load it, use backup if you want, then setup a static IPa. You'll need to enter the name of the connection from your network connections folder (Control Panel). If your 'net access still works, great! We can move on. If not, open it again and pick automatic.

Good luck (double posting isn't allowed, this will let you post again later). If it works (it should), look at the connection properties and check the addresses, see if you can figure out what was different from when you tried to set it up manually.

Yes, it's xp. I talked to a tech support guy from linksys and he told me how to open the port but he also said that I had to put the verizon dsl modem in bridge mode. When I called verizon, the tech lead me through the steps but it turns out that there is a firmware problem with it. I will have a new wired modem by Wednesday.

You couldn't just update online? Freaking Verizon.. well, the truth is your router is actually crap, so even with the Westell bridged, the Linksys might crash, unless:

a) Your settings are conservative, possibly reducing your torrent speed (depends on how fast your connection is to begin with).

B) You update the firmware on your router (not possible if it's Intel based or something).

c) The problem is worked around by configuring your Linksys router a specific way to reduce strain.

I'd like you to do two things, as this information will be important once the new modem is in. One, try the static IPa setup using the file I posted, and let me know if you can connect alright. Two, make sure you have your username and password for PPPoA if Verizon uses that. Putting the Westell into bridge without putting that information on the router will lose your connection.

Was Linksys tech support helpful? Is your router still under warranty? I have the same model, and this things a piece of crap. What version do you have? (Sticker underneath).

I asked about updating online, but for some reason, the guy said that it was not recommended. He just said that the company would send me a new one for free, so I have no objections to that. Just out of curiosity, what makes the linksys so bad? I can technically still return it to best buy. I finally found out that the westell 6100 (verizon modem) uses PPPoE. Linksys tech support seemed helpful, but I won't know for sure until I can put the westell in bridge mode. I just got the router about a week ago, so of course it's under the warranty. The sticker says that it is version 1. My internet connection is 768k/128k (90kbps download, 14kbps upload). If the linksys is totally unreliable for torrenting, then what would be a good router for torrents (please don't mention a router that will cost $150). Thanks for your help, you really put a lot of time into this :)

Instructions here show how to run your Westell 6100 modem in bridge mode but I guess it didn't work for you?

Its not that Linksys is an unreliable router for torrenting, its just consumer-grade routers can't handle the number of network connections Bittorrent requires to operate efficiently. WRT54GL with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware upgrade is the recommended router setup. You can buy a pre-flashed router for around $75 USD with shipping. The router is great because you can tweak network settings that make it Bittorrent friendly.

hermanm said, "consumer-grade routers can't handle the number of network connections Bittorrent requires to operate efficiently."

...More like the number of connections that most places recommend we use in BitTorrent.

uTorrent doesn't work terribly bad with 10 connections per torrent.

If you're firewalled, not allowing unencrypted connections, on "smaller" torrents...that's probably all you'd connect to anyway. :P

Linksys messed the router up, plain and simple. The only problem I had with the v4 was brownouts requiring the router be rebooted, and this was original firmware. As soon as that v6 was in it broke down whenever I tried to torrent.

Archived