Monitoring internet usage?

splintax

Hi all,

I've been considering allowing some of my neighbours to access our wireless network at home for a few dollars a month, since the speeds we have (~20mbit) are more than enough for our house. Also, over here broadband is pretty expensive 'cos you have to pay $100 just to get the connection even set up - plus hardware costs, usually more than $100, and prices for a connection this fast are usually $50 per month+.

The thing is, I'm download a fair bit, and over here in Australia ISPs throttle traffic once you've been past a certain "download quota" which is set according to how much you pay. For example, I get 20GB of quota to use plus an additional 20GB to use between 11pm and 8am local time - I use the µT Scheduler to take advantage of this.

Does anybody know of a way that I would be able to monitor the usage of given MAC addresses as far as bytes transferred? I'm currently using a D-Link modem/router/wireless AP combo, but looking to upgrade it. I'm sure someone will suggest hooking up a Linux box and using that, but I'm afraid I don't have a spare computer lying around.. :P

Is there some way that I can use the console on the router, perhaps, to find out how much data was transferred?

splintax

Perhaps a Linksys WRT54GS (with alternative firmware) can handle that? :P Since it is a Linux router after all. You'd just have to know how to monitor something like that on command line Linux. XD I unfortunately don't know how to.

Boosting the AP power to 100% + a good antenna + a meshed parabolic reflector should give you a nice wireless signal/range too.

I was considering installing some third-party firmware and getting such a router. I'd have to look into it...

edit: only problem is, to my knowledge, none of the Linksys routers with an inbuilt modem have custom firmware available. :( that means i'll have to buy an external modem... bleh.

Archived