HELP, v low speed

Scotland

I have had utorrent for about a year and my download speed never goes over 55kb/s if i'm downloading 10 different things and it goes between 47-55kb/s and when i stop 9 of them the one download will go at the 47-55kb/s itself but i've never had anymore than 55kb/s. I'm not so good with computers so i don't know how to stop this.

My maximum number of connections is 1890 and maximum number of peers per torrent is 2329 with maximum upload slots at 14. Both my download and upload speeds are unlimited. PLEASE help me make this faster.

Incase this matters i have windows vista, norton anti-virus and live in the uk

Are you on Carphone Warehouse Broadband Services or Tiscali?

If so, it seems they cripple uTorrent/BitTorrent traffic in some way:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs#United_Kingdom

"My maximum number of connections is 1890 and maximum number of peers per torrent is 2329 with maximum upload slots at 14. Both my download and upload speeds are unlimited."

You should not be using those settings! Whoever told you they were "good" is an idiot. If you continue to use those settings, your ISP has fair grounds to cancel your service on account of your excessive connection use. Hopefully, you didn't change a lot of advanced settings in uTorrent too...as especially the half open max limit should never be over 50...and really doesn't need to be above 8 except in EXTREME cases.

You must know the upload + download speed limits for your connection to give uTorrent the best possible settings.

Run uTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and do the speed test link there.

After that, try my speed guide settings with the upload speed result. (2nd link in my signature)

Archived