Browsing slow no matter what the upload speed

Dagon

The second I open utorrent my browsing slows to a crawl even if nothing is uploading or the upload speed is way under 80%

My settings are at mostly default settings. I have a Linksey router and global connections are 250 and 90 per torrent. Number of upload slots per torrent is 4.

I am using port 19838 with a green check. I just have no clue what the problem is.

version 1.7.7

It means too many half-open connections are being generated at once (lots of Internet programs probably running). Either lower µT's half-open limit, or apply the patch. Instructions for both are in the link I posted above. Start with lowering µT's limit though, Microsoft messes up the patch with Windows Updates.

Hmmmmmm... You'll still reach your max download speed, it'll just be delayed a bit in doing so. Though it was already delayed because you're running too many things :P

Unpatched Windows limit is ten, µT uses eight by default, other programs you have used the last two "slots". A "slot" is used when a program is trying to make a connection and hasn't finished, and is "opened" once the connection to whatever website or peer your trying to connect to is established.

OH! How long did you wait after lowering it to one after trying four? µT might have been a bit busy, try playing with the limit a little, I'd try four again, maybe six. Depends on how much stuff you have looking for updates.

Good luck :3, if you browse slow with some timeouts, keep that tweak in mind if your download and upload is lower then possible (unless at my house, where the lightning storm has reduced my speed from 750 KBps to ~70 KBps :()

Oh, and you have to be downloading for it to actually use those "slots". You can check how many connections are half-open by going to "Help" > "Show Statistics".

Half open connection limit is only how many new OUTGOING connections to be attempting at once in uTorrent. It doesn't count how many seeds and peers you've already got connected to you...although it stops if you manage to hit global max connections.

It also doesn't count incoming connections if uTorrent isn't firewalled.

So after you've started a VERY busy public torrent, it's possible to get 100's of connections on it within 10 minutes even if uTorrent's half open connection limit is 1.

After other seeds/peers become aware of your ip, even setting uTorrent's half open connection limit to ZERO won't stop incoming connections.

A high half open connection limit just means uTorrent is probably retrying dead and firewalled peer and seed ips over and over again as fast as possible...in other words, burning bandwidth for no results. :P

Archived