How to forward Linksys WRT54G correctly?

Processor

How to forward Linksys WRT54G correctly?

I have followed the steps described in the port forwarding website that comes with

the notion that the ports are not open (from the preferences), but it doesn't work!

Before following the steps I had only yellow triangle now I have a red one!!

What I did is: assigning a static ip address, and then going to the linksys page and

open the port that shows in the options of uTorrent I did precisely what they said!!

I have also disabled the UpnP stuff.

Please help me, and thanks in advance.

It says: "Not connectable

A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic.

you need to open up a port so others can connect to you."

By the way before following the steps described in that website,

I could reach 300KB download, and now I reach only 100KB

(my dl speed is 2MB from Alice)

I didn't changed anything in the router settings except that of gaming/app's.

Thanks again.

No problem, now you're sure you used the right port, your listening port? TCP and UDP? Also check on your router, in the status section, the IPa your router has in the "Internet" section. The one under the words "Login Type: DHCP Automatic". Post the first half for a double-NAT check.

Also, did you reset the router after disabling UPnP? That model might be a bit buggy with UPnP.

Speed testing should be done with an OpenOffice torrent and be sure to double-check the port with µT's online port tester.

This the information: uTorrent random port is 16030, I have putted it in the gaming/app's section in the linksys page and for TCP/UDP I selected Both.

The first page of the linksys called "Basic Setup" I see the option DHCP selected from the dropdown menu who has six options (including static ip)

No I didn't rested the router nor restarted the pc, this is my first time to use uTorrent.

(I used Azureus before, but it doesn't satisfy my needs anymore)

By the way I have the firm: v7.00.7 Beta and I see also that the UPnP is enabled in the administration section.

So what to do now?

Well, I updated my post a bit, so you should re-read it, and include the data I want from your status page. Also, you kept the random port, right (make sure randomize port is unchecked)? And is UPnP disabled in µT? If it isn't, disable it, then reboot your router, to make sure it isn't a bug.

If 192.168.1.100 is what came up in your routers status page for its IPa (hope your not talking about the DHCP range), that means you have another router, it could be disguised as something like a cable modem. Can you look at what your router connects to and post the manufacturer and model number of it?

Unbelievable the speed is: 1.3MB yes MB (when downloading open office)

well which speed shall I get if every thing is correct?!

Back to our problem

Options --> Preferences --> Connection --> Listening Port: except the port there are

4 options 2 unchecked (Randomize..., Enable UpnP)

and 2 checked (Enable NAT-PMP, Add uTorrent to windows Firewall exceptions)

I have checked it many times it is not open.

Should it be a firmware problem?

Sorry I didn't read your last massage, wait a minute....

The OO torrents make a good bench mark to make sure your downloading at your line speed (lately my connection has been crap since lightning struck).

Anyway, the Linksys firmware IS crap, but to reiterate, did the 192.168.1.100 come from the status page? If it is, you have another router, or a modem that's also a router, and you need to either forward it, or bridge it. Are you using ADSL/DSL? What's the modems make and model.

There is "local Ip address": 192.168.1.1

and there is "starting Ip adress": 192.168.1.100

and sure my static ip is: 192.168.1.10

I use only one router (linksys), and the other is only modem with one jak

I'm using ADSL from Alice (I live in Europe to be specific in Holland), the make of the modem is: bbned

(very unknown make lol)

The first half is safe :/

More importantly, if it's anything from here, then you have the problem I described. In fact, I'm almost certain it is because it's the same as your DNS. If that's the case, use the gateway address to try to connect to the modem, and see if you can determine the model so I can find instructions. You can also try port forwarding in it, in this case, you would use your routers address so it goes to your router, then your router should send it to you.

Only 24:00? I don't go to bed till 03:00-04:00 :P. Well, post whenever and someone should help (I post this so that you can make another post, double posting isn't allowed). If it turns our your routers IPa isn't in the range specified by the Wikipedia link I gave, try bypassing your router to rule it out.

What is the exact model of your DSL modem?

Instead of plugging the cable coming from the DSL modem to your "uplink" port (this is the very left port on your Linksys - slightly separated from the rest of the ports) plug the ethernet cable into the right side. That will make it so the LinkSys router is now just acts like a switch. Then from the command prompt, if you type in "ipconfig" the "default gateway" is how you access the DSL modem. Usually the password is written on the bottom of the DSL modem. You might be able to port forward using the DSL modem.

Hello GTHK, Hermanm,

First of all thanks for your help, secondly sorry for my slow/lazy reply,

I will try to plug the cable in the port you mentioned herman, but then can I still use the wireless connection? and don't suffer from security problems?

Although I have the yellow and sometimes the red triangle, but the speed is okay,

how is this possible?

Anyway I want to get it green, so please keep helping me :-)

(I want to get also more experience :-)

By the way I have some questions about Tor, may I ask them here?

or is there a special section for?

Tor should NOT be used for torrenting. I guess tracker communication would be fine though..

Processor, go to your WRT54G settings, setup page, change connection type from DHCP to bridge, save settings. On your computer, do Start > Run > CMD /k IPCONFIG /renew and press enter. Then in that window that appears, after your addresses are renewed, enter ipconfig /all | find "Gateway" and tell me the first half of the set of numbers that appears. These instructions must be followed in the order written, and the word "Gateway" is case sensitive.

Hmm I didn't knew that, but anyway, my question about Tor is:

There are some Forums who associate your membership with your first ip-address,

so entering it again with other ip-address will be impossible for me, is there anyway to omit this bad habited?

(yeah it is bad habited, let the people search anonymously :-)

Lets return to our subject, sorry there is no "bridge" option in the drop down menue, the only options are: {DHCP, StaticIP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Telstra cable}

Anyway I will give you the first half of the gateway with pm if that possible.

By the way I restarted the router few times, it doesn't help,

but I didn't used the method of hermanm until now.

And for the people who are saying you have to read the FAQ about Linksys,

no sorry my version is 7, and not 5 and below.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... bridge mode must be added by third party firmware then. Which is kinda ironic, because I was hoping to avoid that crappy router with bridge mode, instead of upgrading to something better. Easiest thing to do, get a static IPa working, forward the Westell to the Linksys, forward the Linksys to your computer. Hopefully the crappy WRT54G doesn't break down once it's working. Do you know how to forward the Westell, and get the Linksys's IPa?

Let's start with the static address. Since you're having trouble setting up a static IPa, can you give me the name of your connection as it appears in Windows Network Connections? Local Area Connection maybe? Or something else I don't remember is using a wireless. What OS? This is what you should try:

IP address: 192.168.1.213

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

DNS 1: 208.67.222.222

DNS 2: 208.67.220.220

Archived