Didn't change anything, speed comes to a halt?

Amine

Hi I've been using utorrent for a while and I'm familiar with it, or so I thought. I download from a private torrent site and have never had problems with download speed. I've tried downloading from a different pc at the same location and it works 100%. So here's my specs:

toshiba laptop

windows xp home edition

like a 1.5ghz proc speed

512 ram

I don't run a firewall

I have the correct port open and utorrent recognizes it with the green checkmark

ISP comcast (shouldn't matter, works fine on other pc)

linksys router (also shouldn't matter, works fine on other pc)

like the topic says I didn't change or I didn't realize if I changed anything regarding my download speed. I can't download more than about 30kbs, but it's usually around the 5kbs range. The problem isn't anything simple like I restricted the down/up settings.

It isn't just this one torrent, every torrent has a red download/seeding status instead of blue/green like it should be.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

the office torrent didn't work either

it's the w4 something or other... a pretty common one I think

I do have recent even errors, quite a few like over 15 or so.. so I did the fix for or but when I type EvID4226Patch.exe in the start>run it says the file didn't exist. So.. I dunno I think that's bad because I do use SP2. I'm reading through that other page now..

net.maxhalfopen should NEVER be set as high or higher than Window's half open max!

You have to leave some room for other connections or you will be CONSTANTLY triggering the error 4226 messages and problems which result from it.

Really, the default value of 8 is typically good enough.

I just set it to 8 a few min ago like the guide said to do on this site. No changes yet.

I had it set like that because of the guide I read on another site, do ya have any other ideas? I'm doing the glasnost test to test my ISP right now

had one 10 minutes ago, a lil after I changed it to 8. Now I have it set to 4

wow I am getting like 70kbs and uploading over 20, nothing extraordinary, but it's a start! Maybe the peers are just slow at the moment but hey all the seeding torrents are green now, and the download one is blue now, instead of red :), hopefully it picks up even more

down to like 30kbs hmm?? I dunno, that's basically where I was before, but atleast it's constant and doesn't stop abruptly now

Have you tried disabling the other connection-making features?:

DHT, LPD, UPnP, Resolve IPs

Your ComCast connection, if it's anything like mine, should be a LOT faster than that...even for BitTorrent traffic.

What settings are you (trying to) using in uTorrent, as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G) window?

I have all those speed settings maxed out at 9999, port is 65535 and enabled on the router settings of course.

I'll have to look into disabling other connection-making features. Right now I'm going to plug my computer straight into the modem since the new power cord came in the mail and see what happens. If it stays slow it's def my computer's settings, not my router.

If you have those "speed settings" maxed out, you're lucky uTorrent doesn't crash your box.

There are upper limits on those numbers...various networking hardware and software becomes bottlenecks, some sooner than others!

It's like trying to get a car to go "infinite" speed. All kinds of bad things will happen before you even hit 200 miles per hour.

Watch what your UPLOAD speed is, if you happen to have active torrents that should be uploading.

Setting upload speed max too high for your connection is an instant overload right there. :(

Archived