Uncapped DL/UP degradative to overall connection?

_ReApEr

Alright, so, I know you're supposed to set uTorrent up with the Speed Guide and whatnot. However, for the sake of seeding being my main priority, I uncapped my upload speed (download already was uncapped) and set the maximum number of active torrents to 500 (way above what I need, but yeah).

Could this be degradative to my ability to upload in any way? Most references to the Speed Guide I saw were for fixing people's slow download speeds, not upload. So I was just curious. Is there any specific thing I could change to maximize my upload capacity?

Much thanks in advance.

Running 500 torrents at once is how to kill one's connection in one easy step.

There's only ONE setting you should set to optimize upload speed while not downloading.

Preferences - Connection (moved to Bandwidth in 1.8) - Alternate upload rate when not downloading.

If you want your seeding to happen first, enable "Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks" in the Queueing section.

Everything else should be set as the speed guide.

... If you KNOW these things you already know the answer.

If you prefer to act like BitComet then keep those settings. If you want to keep your download coming in, set your upload limit below your connection's sustained upload, and reduce the torrents so UPLOAD LIMIT / (TORRENTS * SLOTS) >= 3

DreadWingKnight: I said 500 was way more than I have running, it was just to make it unlimited. However, I've set max active torrents to 6 (as per Speed Guide's recommendation) and max active downloads to 1. Maximum upload rate is 100, max when not downloading is 1000. Max downloading is unlimited. Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks.

However, I'm now not downloading at all. I am uploading one torrent, will download resume when that finishes?

Alrighty, set it to 0.

I have more than six torrents in the list, one is seeding, two are supposed to be downloading, but they're both queued. The seeding ratio set to 1000% because I don't want torrents to slow down or stop or anything at any ratio, and I doubt they'll get to 10:1.

EDIT: Some more detail. I have a ton of torrents in my list that are all completely downloaded, I want them all to be available for seeding all the time. That's why I set the max active torrents so high, so I could constantly have the ability to seed and download, whenever.

Also, I don't care if it saturates my connection. So maxing out my upload is fine, even if it means I can't browse.

You can actually upload more over time if your upload speed max is set at or just below your highest sustainable upload speed.

I'm on ComCast's 6mbps down/1mbps up connection, and for me that seems to be about 125 KiloBYTES/second. I can get a short burst of speed faster than that occasionally, but that's only SpeedBoost in action and I can't count on it.

Archived