Disk Overload 100%, Delayed Write failed - External HD

cami

Having probs for a while now with ma 500 gb seagate ext hd.

No probs with any of my internal IDE drives.

First off, id get disk overload 100% when maxin out a file at 10mb/s or when d/lin multiple files totalling 10mb/s (1000ks)

Changed some settings in disk cache/ advanced, after googling and findin posts related in this forum.

Then started gettin delayed write failed on files and would have to run chkdsk to recover files.

Now i dont even get delayed write failed so no way to recover files i just get the msg "system cannot find the files specified" or "files missing"

Iv never needed to defrag this drive which i thought was strange.

Also i upload multiple files from the drive at 1mb/s (100ks) or 0.7 - 0.8 mb/s (75ks) when im d/lin.

Do u folks have any recommended settings for an ext hd? Oh yea i use utorrent 1.7.7

Could be my usb controller. My m/b doesnt come with usb 2 so i got a pci card off ebay. I always had a prob with the hd tho when i restart my pc hangs just before the blue "windows is starting screen" and id need to strat up without the hd plugged in... Could it be the controller then or do u reckon i should backup all my 500 gb data and send it off to seagate. Less than a yr old. at least its got a 5yr warranty.

How can i tell if its my hd or the controller?

I'd say "a new computer", since that would remove the need for any PCI cards at all. :P

I can't tell you any particular brands, because I've never bought one personally. Just browse on newegg.com for some highly rated ones or something.

Yea i know i need a new m/b.

Just waiting for 6600 cpu's to drop below £100 and 8800GT's to drop a bit more.

I'll either jump into maplins or check out newegg/online retaileer and make sure i get a brand name. I could also try my ext drive with all the same torrents loaded in my laptop couldnt i? ITs usb controller should be fine.

an edit for my original post,used to get disk overload and i still get delayed write failed, will check it out with a diff usb controller

• 8 months later...

Its back. I got a better USB 2 controller. Never had a prob since. Now its started again.

I might have a look at the VIA drivers stuff. And ill check the write cache.

I dont know if its relevent and i forgot to mention the first time. I can never restart with the Seagate 500GB plugged in. I always have to switch off and switch back on. If i restart it gets stuck on a black screen just before the blue welcome screen. Then reboots and says windows did not start properly, try last known good config/safe mode. I then need to reboot with it unplugged.

Anyway this prob only seems to happen when im using Utorrent and i stumbled across my own topic when googling. Hopefully someone here can help me.... again.

You may need a new external drive enclosure or USB PCI controller again. It sounds like the chip on USB controller in your computer or external hard drive is acting up. If you take the drive out of the enclosure and install it directly in your computer and the issue goes away, then you only have two points of failures that you need to test -- PCI controller or USB external case.

i void my warranty by doing that dont i?

maybe i should send the new usb card back for a replacement?

i tried "safely remove hardware" and it said it couldnt stop the volume. so i restarted clicked safely remove hardware, then switched the drive off, then back on. its been workin fine since.... i think it could be software related, like when i boot it loads the wrong drivers. i dono.

Archived