Internet browser very slow while uTorrent is open

flaris

Firefox and IE both get very slow load speeds while uTorrent is open. This problem didn't occur until about a year ago, I just didn't care very much to do anything about it. The internet browser on my other computer on my connection is just fine while uTorrent is open.

You're on Rogers Cable in Canada, right?

They do horrible things to BitTorrent traffic. :P

But that's probably not really your problem's cause...

1st and 2nd links in my signature should help.

Do note that effectively your connection is probably no higher than 512 kilobits/second upload speed in BitTorrent due to crippling effects done by your ISP. (And may be far lower than that!)

After 3 days of messing with settings I found a fix that works for me and I hope it works for everyone else.

im on a 16/2 connection

1000 max

500 per torrent

max half open 2

dht off

router settings (befsr41 ver 4.2 2.00.03 beta firmware)

dmz disabled

block anonymous enabled

all filters disabled

upnp enabled

nat enabled

dynamic routing disabled

QoS disabled

forwarded port 4000 for utorrent

after I put these settings to effect I can browse as if utorrent isnt even running even when me and my gf are downloading at 900+kbs. I was having alot of trouble with it even to the point of not being able to connect to counterstrike because it would lose steam connection or not connect at all. I hope this works for you

This is probably what fixed your problem:

"max half open 2"

But...at some future point that you're on a torrent with lots of seeds and peers, numbers this high will likely cause you problems again:

1000 max

500 per torrent

At least a few Linksys routers CAN'T handle more than 500 connections at once...and that even counts closing connections from potentially the last 15 minutes.

You'll definitely need to set uTorrent's upload speed limits well below max or you would possibly lag in Counterstrike as well...although Rogers probably throttles uTorrent traffic so heavy you don't notice.

I run a 2megabit / 2megabit connection just fine with 60 max connections per torrent and 6-8 upload slots. Here's a hint. Many other bittorrent clients can ban a connection if they want. If you set your upload slots to high, you'll find you are unable to give back anywhere near what you are taking. I often run another client that has such capabilities. About half an hour into a torrent I check it to see how it's going. If the download speed is low but my upload is maxed, I go the the connections window and sort it by amount uploaded. Invariably there are one or two utorrent connections (but not always utorrent) taking ten or twenty times what they've given, because the user has configured utorrent for too many upload slots. If the other connections in my swarm were getting more bandwidth from me, I'd get more download speed from them, so I axe the top couple bandwidth suckers in order to give more of my bandwidth to the other connections. A couple minutes later, I'm usually maxed out. So, you should put some effort into finding the lowest number of connections and upload slots that will saturate your bandwidth. The recommendations in the speed guide in utorrent would be maximum values in my opinion. I'm running old Linksys routers, a RT31P2 and a WRT54G, and it all works fine. I can even max out at 40 connections, but I just leave it at 60 and never have to mess with it again. With more connections, your just churning the swarm, your router, and your machine. Good luck.

Archived