Port Forwarding on Uni network

Gerrard

I'm staying in a university hostel and trying to run utorrent using the LAN connection in my room. I do not have access to the router - there is just the ethernet socket in my room.

Now, I have read some other threads regarding running utorrent on university networks, but I believe my situation may be slightly different, which is why I'm posting this thread. For one, I know that my university does not block p2p per se (it only bans the downloading copyrighted material). For two, I was able to get a green status icon on utorrent yesterday, and a port check indicated that my port was forwarded correctly. However, the status icon reverted to yellow today, and utorrent says that my port isn't forwarded properly any more.

I did not change the port I am using (randomize port is OFF). So why would this be the case? Are there any steps I can take to ensure that my port is always forwarded correctly? I am using utorrent 1.8 rc6 btw - are there any new features in it that can help me increase my d/l speeds?

Archived