Many "Got Bad Have" errors while seeding my torrent

OOZ662

I've used uTorrent for a few years now, but I've never started my own torrent until now. I created one yesterday and set it off to seed. It seems to do fine most of the time, but by the end of a few hours the Logger is full of "Got Bad Have" errors that range throughout the file (i.e. not the same chunk each time) and it appears that many of the clients downloading have blocked me (I would too. :)). It seems especially prevalent on peers with BitComet. I've never seen this error until today, either; I can seed finished downloads just fine.

I'm behind a WRT54G V8.0 router with V8.0.0.2 firmware. I use port 14923 which is reported to be forwarded correctly now and in the past. I've just manually added it to my router's port forwarding list to make sure.

The torrent's a simple 699MB Divx AVI file with MP3 audio, though that shouldn't make any difference.

I apologize if this turns out to be a stupid mistake on my part, but I've tried searching and using common sense, but haven't found anything. I'll be happy to provide more details. I'd really love to be able to share this file.

Connections don't last very long, as far as I can see, but I have uploaded enough in the past day or so that the torrent's living. Currently it shows 0 of 2 seeds connected with 5 in swarm, 0 of 6 peers connected, 1 in swarm. I've read that they've confirmed Comcast to be killing seeds, but I'm not suffering too badly. One of the people in my town has been completely denied access to everything torrent related somehow (according to him).

My average ratio is about 5.4 with around a week of seeding, filesize of ~700MB and 5.14GB.

EDIT: All of my Got Bad Have errors are occurring to BitComet and BitLord clients, so guess that's the answer to my original question. Got one from a uTorrent, but that seemed like a network twitch.

Forced encryption on outgoing connections...and disabling incoming legacy (unencrypted) connections will at least eliminate the older and FAR more buggy BitComet clients. Unfortunately it prevents BitTornado clients from connecting to you as well. But with ComCast, there's not much choice.

Low total connection number is almost a must...more connections = more attention by their traffic disrupting equipment (Sandvine presumably is what they're using.)

Disabling DHT, LPD, UPnP, and Resolve IPs may make uTorrent "quieter" so slightly less BitTorrent traffic is found and disrupted.

From what I've seen, ComCast allows at least a tiny number of BitTorrent connections (here at least) while I'm seeding. So I can hang onto roughly 2-6 peers for hours sometimes so long as I'm not receiving lots of new incoming connections. My half open connection limit in uTorrent I change typically from default of 8 to 4, 1, or 0. 0 = no tracker traffic, accept only incoming connections.

1 I call "trickle rate" that seems the best at avoiding disconnects, especially if I'm web surfing at the same time.

I have some (enough) knowledge of what UPnP does and know what resolving an IP is, but the rest of it I have no idea about. I don't know what effect DHT has on a torrent (better speed or reliability at the cost of detection, possibly?) or even what LPD is. I'm not sure what you mean by "half open connection limit" either.

I'm very much a nooblet when it comes to torrents. Maybe a rung or two up from "Ma & Pa Kettle," but not much. :D If it's too much trouble or too time consuming to explain, that's fine...but I'm always curious. :)

Right, well technically DHT does nothing about the torrent... it's a distributed database hopefully allowing you to get MORE connections (or ANY connections if your connection blocks tracker communication). Once you have SOME connections though PEX (or Peer Exchange) does an even better job trading peerlists with peers to which you're connected. LPD is the acronym for local peer discovery.. which was added in 1.7 as a means for identifying likely "local" peers (under contention .. just search on the forum, heh) to which you're not likely to get penalized for transferring to or rate-limited downloading from. It sends out extra traffic (minimal) and creates connections (marginal) which sometimes are just too much for low-quality hardware or low-bandwidth lines to handle effectively. As hard as it is to believe, some people ACTUALLY torrent on dialup connections, due to the ease-of-resuming those long downloads they may not get otherwise.

The half-open connections is a setting in Advanced screen of Preferences (Ctrl-P) called net.max_halfopen. A higher number CAN help your speeds in certain cases but it shouldn't be changed without knowing what it does. Essentially Windows networking subsystem has a limit on itself as to how many connections it thinks you should be able to make (10)... uTorrent with default settings doesn't saturate this number (8). However some people like to make more (50)... but it requires you to always be aware when you update through Windows Update your limit didn't get reset AND that your hardware/connection can handle the extra load. If you want to read more, always feel free to check out the http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent-help.zip or http://dessent.net/btfaq/#what

Archived