torrent merging??

Sarreq Teryx

not necessarily merging, as such, but, I was wondering if it were possible to add a way to...

how about I describe the situation first.

I'm running a torrent, and because it's running slow, I go looking for another copy of the same torrent with alternate trackers, but instead, all I find are torrents written for the same exact file set I've already started, but I guess a different part size or hash or file order or something, so I can't add those trackers, only either re-start, or delete the original torrent (not the files) and allow the new one to take over, and run the chance that it will either run just as slow or slower than the original one.

OK, so my request would be to have a way for those 2 torrents to work together, improving the overall performance.

Well it's not currently possible in uT, and IMO it doesn't make sense. Supposedly you can write to the same fileset in Azureus... but think about it for a moment.

If you KNOW how bittorrent works, and you KNOW you have a certain constraint for how much data you can "get" in one go aka downloading a piece at a time... you'd 1) be duplicating efforts on any smaller piecesize than the largest piecesize you have for the same fileset AND 2) have to deal with more peer overhead for connections

I just got finished copying files from one torrent to another. They had the same size but had different names. I renamed them and then did a re-check. Afterwards everything works fine.

Without more details it's hard to give more specific help.

OK, not sure what either of those last 2 have to do with my sugg, but thanks anyway

@firon: how about if the part sizes are the same, but the only difference is that one torrent has an extra file (you know, the one's certain trackers add), would that be possible?

Archived