[Help] Unattended v1.8 installation

biatche

Alright, I have "\\server\path\utorrent-downloadedfile.exe"

I wanna use a switch to install utorrent via switch so that it goes into %programfiles% **AND** installs the necessary registries, and file association

how do i do this?

im aware of that /performinstall but i dont quite get how it works

But wait, I want those registries and file association stuff.. without CLICKING on anything... and if possible, i dont wanna import registries... troublesome.

--

I think developers should straighten the switches out, and add /help or /? for switch information..

i also think there should be a simple /setup switch to install the necessary registries... in fact, it'd be a lot easier if there's an actual utorrent installer.. and also standalone.

Searching first would have been nice ... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34293 was in the first page of results for "arguments" If you want to mimic the registry behaviour, capture it yourself with some registry compare utility OR use process monitor from http://sysinternals.com while uT runs from a "clean" slate so you can capture the behaviour and replicate it elsewhere.

thelittlefire: thanks for the link, and i've already gone through that before I even made this post, but testing the actual switch it was WEIRD

i did a /PERFORMINSTALL 0 /NORUN

it installed utorrent to c:\norun LOL? woulda been good if you had read the last part of my first post.

If I wanna capture the registry, i have progrms for that too.. like regmon or installrite

Except, I think it'd be better if the switches can do all that.

Coders are notorious for lack of documentation... so I'm sure you'll forgive them for the moment at least until they push 1.8 out the door. Yes, command line switches would be good to have documented, extensively and I do admit i've never seen performinstall do THAT before. I'm just happy you don't lose your arguments anymore with 1.8 and multiple instances :P (1.7 doesn't keep the flags you choose due to corrupted /recover parameters)... I'm thinking as with that problem order-of-operations comes into play here as well.

I read your post. It is both in 1.8, compared to the "installers" of 1.6-era. You do /noinstall and it just pops up the first time. This is useful for headless environments or other cases brought up in that thread I linked. As far as registry edits I'm unsure what you're talking about which can't be captured by process monitor? regmon+filemon are now deprecated tools in the sysinternals suite.

• 5 months later...

Archived