Port forwarding issues and NAT

Es0ter1c

Greetings,

I have configured my firewall software (Comodo Pro), established a static IP, configured my router (NETGEAR Rangemax Wireless Router WPN 824 v2), and set a port designation in all of the above.

I am still appearing as NAT and when I attempt to verify that my port is forwarded properly it tells me it isn't. I can download and upload torrents at a decent rate but if someone else is NAT it would be nice to be able to share with them. I don't understand what else to try to get this working. I have attempted multiple ports and have disconnected my FIOP and Power supply to my router on MULTIPLE occasions. What else can I try? Any of you experts out there have any ideas?

Thanks,

Es0ter1c

I think what DWK is trying to figure out is if you have a double NAT. If your Netgear's router IP address starts with a 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x then that would indicate a double NAT. I assume your FIOP is some sort Fiber Optic hardware device from Verizon? What is the make and model of that device? Port forwarding is easiest to set up with a single NAT setup.

It is a NETGEAR Rangemax Wireless Router WPN824v2 and my router's IP does begin with 192. I assume you are referrring to my hub? I will need to do some climbing to access it enough to see it.

Ok *brushing off cobwebs* it is a:

Intellinet 8 port Nway 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch

Model # 523318

I was wrong about the 'hub'. Just a switch.

What modem? You referring to the router or the switch?

Also, for some reason the router keeps on removing the Utorrent entries I make for my ports from the visible list, yet keeps refusing to allow me to use those names on new entries, claims the names are in use, but I cannot see them... It hasn't happened for quite some time, but now happened today again.

WAN IP begins with 10.xx.x.xx

This means you have another router. You need to either forward it or disable one of the routers capabilities. Is it that switch? Do you have a big network setup (how many computers)? Also, try connecting to the WAN gateway IP, what do you see?

Whatever device you have in front of the netgear router is also a router. If we have the make and model of the thing in front of your Netgear router, we can maybe help you figure out how to disable that router (bridged mode) so your Netgear is the only NAT in the setup. Once that is accomplished, port forwarding will be much more straight-forward.

Hello! Teh never ending port forwarding darkness, which seems to be one of mankind´s yet to solve problems. I sometimes sure would like to kill my computer. http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=31326 tells me "Error! Port 31326 does not appear to be open." whatever I do. I have 5 computers in a LAN and NO router! I have a gateway (I think it´s called) i one of the computers. I have XP Pro SP3 on all computers and I hav never had this problem before. Suddenly this port is not forwarded, but uTorrent seems to download anyway!? The always referred "www.portforward.com" talks only about routers, and since I have no router the problem remains! I´m not an advanced computer user, so many times the answers seems more painful than the problem. I would marry anyone who can tell me how this works!

Whenever I try to point my browser at that IP I get the following message:

Page Load Error

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

The switch sits as the first point of contact from the fiber box outside. From that switch comes the phone, Data, and a few televisions. The data runs directly from the switch to the netgear router. There are only two computers directly attached to the router. The makes and models are listed in my previous post.

Still stuck... :(

If the outside box is not locked, see if you can get the make and model of the hardware device.

If you want to try to access the WAN (switch box), you have to connect the ethernet cable directly to your desktop and your network connections to automatic IP settings. Then browse to the gateway IP. If you don't know the gateway IP, type in ipconfig from the command prompt to get the gateway IP.

So trying the Gateway IP address doesn't work, and the it's from your ISP and you also get phone and television? In that case it's an ISP created problem. The last thing you can try is bypassing your router, checking your computers gateway address when directly connected, and trying the gateway IPa again. If that doesn't work, you'll have to call them, see if you can get access to the router for port forwarding, or get them to port forward it remotely, or something. A smart tech support would help.

Archived