uTorrent stopped working in Toronto on Rogers High Speed (ISP)

Derrett Lww

Hi.

I am new to the forum and hope my querry is OK. uTorrent has stopped working on Rogers High Speed Internet here in Toronto, Canada. This is my ISP. I have tried using all three newer versions of uTorrent including the beta ones. The reason I have come to this conclusion is because I tried using another torrent client (Azureus) and it works. However I do not like Azureus. I much perfer the simplicity of uTorrent and especially its built in search. I was wondering if anybody has encountered this problem with there ISP and is there a way around it. I have tried randoming the ports to see if that makes any difference. It does not. uTorrent does not work. It will not download or upload. Any suggestions would be greartly appreciated. Thank you.

Derrett Lee

derrettlee@rogers.com

Hi. Its Derrett Lww again. Just to give you some more information. I have checked my firewall (Norton Systemworks) and its is permitting internet acces to both uTorrent and uTorrent beta. I have also checked my status bar and there is no message of "Network OK" or "Nat Error". I can not ever remembering seeing any of these two messages and I have been using uTorrent for two months. Again, any help or suggestions you might have to get uTorrent working again would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Derrett Lee

derrettlee@rogers.com

Hi. Firon - Thank you for the quick reply to my querry. I tried the ports you suggested 1720, 1755, 587, and 5100 and made peer.lazy_bitfield "true" in the advanced options box and it did not change anything. uTorrent still does not work. And it was working so well until two days ago. Do you think Rogers can block uTorrent that well?. Any more suggestons you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Derrett Lee

derrettlee@rogers.com

Hi - Firon - Thanks for all you help and suggestions. I tried the test and I got the message that the test had failed and also "The connection was successful but a timeout occured reading or writing the BitTorrent client data.". I have never had a "Listen error" in the status bar. I noticed when I changed ports that the download and up load windows started up for a bit but the speed never got above 1.0 kbs. Right now it says "D: Total 741.0 kb and U: Total 565.7 kb". Do you have any more suggestions? Thanks again for all your help.

Derrett Lee

derrettlee@rogers.com

Attempting connect to: 70.30.205.81 port 587

Fail!

Unable to connect. This likely means you need to adjust your port forwarding configuration, or there is no client running on that port. Hi, that the message I got when I tried the test on the other three ports you gave me (1720, 1755, and 587). What else should I try?

Derrett Lee

derrettlee@rogers.com

I turned off the worm protection and it worked. uTorrent started working again. I tried the test on port 1720 with different hash code and got the following message

"Attempting connect to: 70.30.205.81 port 1720

Fail!

Successfully connected, but didn't get proper a BitTorrent client response. Make sure you entered a correct hash ID that corresponds to the active torrent on your system. Most likely, your network is properly configured, but repeat this test with a valid hash ID to be sure.

Response was: ''

Does this mean anything or should I just forget about this test? By the way what AV do you suggest I get to replace Norton?

Thank you again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Derrett Lee

derrettlee@rogers.com

That probably means it's working fine, you just probably forgot to put in the hash or put in the wrong hash. Try running a torrent, clicking on it, right click -> Copy in the general tab, and paste it into the NAT checker.

AVG, NOD32, Kaspersky are good alternatives. There may be others.

Hello there,

I have been reading through this post and i am experiencing something very similar. I live in the Toronto area as well using Rogers as my ISP.

I tried using the nat check and I am getting the exact same type of errors.

Fail!

Successfully connected, but didn't get proper a BitTorrent client response. Make sure you entered a correct hash ID that corresponds to the active torrent on your system. Most likely, your network is properly configured, but repeat this test with a valid hash ID to be sure.

Response was: ''

I am as well using port 1720 based on what a few friends have told me and in forum.

Im not sure if its the ISP or not but my seeds are always very low if not at 0. And availability is very low most of the time below 1.000. A friend of mine will download the same torrent and have fantastic download speeds, seeds, and availability. He is using Bell. So im not sure what the problem could be.

I would love to know how you have things setup. I'm not getting much sucess from port 1720. Most amount of seeds im getting is 1-2 and my download will flux from 1kB/s-10kB/s. Very odd times i've seen one torrent spike to 60kB/s then come back down to 10.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Have you already tried everything in this thread? :/

Rogers throttles BitTorrent to hell and back.

Try port 1720, and turn on peer.lazy_bitfield.

Etc.

B.t.w, I'm not on Rogers, so I can't say what works or not...just echo-ing what others are saying... :|

I'm not going to hold that against you. :P

Turn off the worm protection and see if it goes away. Norton's Worm Protection (and ALL their software in fact, get a real AV) is utterly worthless anyway.

[...]

AVG, NOD32, Kaspersky are good alternatives. There may be others.

But as xamenos said, I'm going to have to put my support with avast if you're coming from NAV. Sure, it's not as resource friendly as NOD32/AVG, but if you turn on the KDE skin, it is much prettier. :P In all seriousness, the main reason to get avast is the incremental updates. I know other clients have them, but avast's are the shit. They run automatically if you want, with no intervention/reboots required (though they let you know when they've installed), and they are so small that it's not at all a hassle to update a dialup machine. Program updates are similarly small, but you have to confirm their installation.

I live in the Pickering Area, near Toronto and I have the same problems which started for me about a month ago. Rogers IS throttling BT in their network yet they have not made an official statement. This is being talked about in a lot of forums. I am considering switching to Bell, but there's no guarantee that they won't follow Rogers. Some people are seriously considering setting up FTP servers!(you try having DLs @ 5kbps!) I used to have DL @ 180 kbps, no more......such a shame cause I started using this great client a month before this whole thing happened.... </rant>

• 4 weeks later...

Time to get aggressive then. :/ If they are blocking all other ports, use port 80, 21, 110, or as a last resort, 25 - and turn on Encryption. I truly hate it when ISP's play this cat and mouse game. This bullshit must stop! mad8yb.png People payed for their bandwidth, let them use it as they see fit! Damn Nazi's... :mad:

Archived