ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question on the throttle bypass issue:

I tried bitComet just to see if the encryption option would help the speed. It did not. Is the path you're going down as a solution for uTorrent the same as BitComet? If it is, then I'm not sure how it will help the issue. If it's different, and if BitComet didn't help, then will your solution get around this shaping issue?

Does that make sense? I guess what I'm asking is if BitComet didn't help, will uTorrent once this PHE work is done?

Thanks!

Oh happy day if that happens.

I don't get why ISP's bother to roll out networks that offer 3/1 when the only thing they let you do is HTTP and email! WTF is the point of a big empty pipe like that?!

Maybe it's time to go back to the old PeerToPeer like Napster so we can actually use the pipes?

Mediacom (Northwestern Illinois) tests at 2.4MB down/234KB up during the day but during the late evening/early morning hours it's testing at 4.5MB down/60K up...this brings my utorrent speed from a daytime average of 44/23 during the daytime to a nighttime average of 22/15. This is using the default port, I haven't messed around with changing and then forwarding a different port number yet because even at the slower speed utorrent demolishes abc and bittorrent totally. With the same connection I was lucky to pull at 7KB and upload was usually about 2.1 Thank utorrent crew!~

BTW, I read earlier that someone "heard Charter reports you to the P2P police." I had a friend in southern IL (near St. Louis) that recieved a warning letter from them for downloading torrents. They told him that if he did not cease they would report his name and billing address to some internet policing agency.

Starhub (Singapore): shape/throttle BitTorrent traffic. No known workaround.

Bloody Starhub! It was cool last time, then recently it has started throttling the speeds.

The accidental cutting off the pipe was an excuse. The isp got overloaded with bittorent traffic until its pipe cdnt take it and gave way. So now they have decided to throttle the traffic. U can d/l still but 1/5th of the speeds. And for a connection of 250kB/s , thats a measly 50kB/s.

Singnet (singapore) does that too. Cant really beat it too...especially when all the ISPs in your country throttle the Bittorrent traffic.

Thats coz Singnet has a direct line to ur house and bittorent traffic can be easily monitored. Friends have got letters after downloading 1 movie.

Starhub was the alternative coz it had one big pipe to an area which was divided among its users. And many pple went to it coz of that. And now its back to square one. Useless!

@Firon. Wats PE?

I've found a workaround for the SHAW CABLE cap...works like a dream!

Unfortunately...you MUST use BitComet as I do not believe uTorrent has this feature yet.

Go into Preferences, Advanced, Connection, then turn Protocol Header Encrypt ON.

This is truly a bandage solution, as you will only be able to connect to other Bitcomet users who have this option on. So big torrents you'll get good speeds again...but small torrents might work poorly. However, so far, I've found ALL torrents will get better than the 5kbps I've been getting...

Good luck!!! This may work on other ISPs!!!

Archived