ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had to add this to the jumble here of ISP throttling solutions. As mentioned already Rogers of Canada is notorious at throttling the upload of torrents. Actually what it does it Throttles all encrypted traffic basically to a crawl so certainly does not help to go setting your utorrent to encrypt your traffic after taking all other steps to improve your speeds that might be suggested here, as I found out ..lol

Nothing at all was working for me, then all at once I remembered seeing that small fact about Rogers throttling all encrypted traffic and simply clicked the encryption from force no legacy ..to no encryption at all ... and voila

from seeding at 1.2 kB/s to 100kB/s

unfortunately in no time at all ...my port was pinpointed and I was back to very low speeds..lol

ya can't seem to win with Rogers ...still

perhaps by using some of the mentioned port used ordinarily by other programs that stream or game ports ..or something like that ???

anyway ...just thought I'd add that to the mix ...as I know there are so many much smarter people in here than I and that this information might just be one of the puzzles that helps someone else out.

for me on port 1072 for 1/2 hour with encryption off ...I did get max my upload capacity bandwidth uploading for the first time in a very long time ..and I enjoyed it ..lol I had been for a long time not detected using cFos Speed ..but unfortunately something is amist and that has failed me somehow :(

• 3 weeks later...

You can add At&t U-verse to the list of ISP`s that throttles bittorent. When I first got u-verse 2 months ago, I was getting speeds of 1.5 mbits.Now it just fluctuates all over the place and what use to take minutes to download now takes hours.Uploading is xtremely slow to non exitent.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I registered to this website forum solely for this post. I apologize for not going through the 19 pages as what I am about to say may have already been said, but I just felt the need to share.

I have been witnessing throttling from Bell Sympatico here in Canada. When I downloaded from utorrent, it definitely capped out at around 20-30kb/s. However, just recently I witnessed the following; when I closed utorrent, and then reclicked on my original torrent file, utorrent opened and asked me "This file has already been added to your downloads, would you like to load trackers from it".

I responded "yes" and there I saw my download rate go back to its normal value... I tried this on two different torrents and they both worked. I'm not sure I exactly understand the phenomenon or what exactly is the underlying cause, however, it's working. It seems as though it takes longer for the ISP to realize a bittorrent connection since the download rate goes down (still higher than 20-30kb/s) only a considerable amount of time later. I found this method quite practical for smaller downloads. This process can be repeated more than once to get a boost (at least it worked for me), but it becomes somewhat of a pain for larger downloads...

Has anyone else experienced/confirmed this?

OrBz

@ForeverOrbital

I feel ur pain, for the past bout 3 weeks rogers been going hard at me. Like its seriously annoying, from an avg of 1500KB/s down to 150, and I don't know bout u but im only restricted when downloading bitorrent files. It doesn't matter even if I use a client other than utorrent I still get capped, but no problems with any other forms of downloading. For example when using sites with dedicated servers im getting 2.5 - 3 MB/s, so I'm sure that rogers is monitoring the traffic. So any way as far as the boost u got by reloadinng the trackers, how long does it last, and how much data could it cover ( 100,200 or 500 MB+).

@ b2times

It's really weird. It's actually very variable, so giving you an exact number will be very difficult.

This one download I had was around 290mb and there was almost no decrease in download rate. The catch here was that the torrent was extremely high seeded and low leeched, so I felt as though every time the dl rate would start to decrease, I would catch a new seed and the dl rate would go fly high.

I have set my utorrent settings to allow up to 100 connections per torrent solely for the purpose of constantly catching new seeds when the old ones are being throttled. So you can safely assume that I did not reach 100 connections for my 290 mb torrent (roughly 10 min. download). However, my second download was 1.88gb. This one seemed to reach a lower download rate after having downloaded around 190mb in roughly 10 minutes. This latter had a lower number of seeds than the previous one, but still a very popular torrent. After reloading my trackers, up to 4 times, the download just seemed to cruise through the remaining 1.5 gb which ended up being completed in around 2 hours.

That's as much detail as I can give about this experience I had with reloading trackers. Thanks for the reply.

OrBz

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know about AT&T (used to be BellSouth)? :/ :/

We have a great wireless 'connection', at least my connection says it's at 24 Mbps, but every time I try to download a torrent my speeds end up at wayyyy less than 30 kb/s!! I'm trying to download a 7 gig file now and it's been downloading for almost 18 hours and I've only managed to download 1.86 gigs - with my average speed around 15-20 kb/s. I am a member at Demonoid and the exact same torrent is there with a few more seeders and wanted to try and add them, but instead of it recognizing the torrent was already in my downloads, it added a new download and not the new tracker/seeders. Is there anything I can do to speed this up, even a little? I was looking at some of the peers and I'd kill for even the 904 kb/s one of them had, as opposed to my pathetic 20 kb/s. At this rate, it's going to take me days and days to download this and it's making me very old before my time.....PLEASE HELP ME! Any ideas and comments will be greatly appreciated.

:mad::mad: I used to use Utorrent a lot and was very happy with it. but for the last 4 months my speed never exceeds 50kb/s. is this some sort of petty thing because I don't seed enough or is it the ISP. the ISP name is SKYTEL broadband. at moment I have 35/16099 seeds and speed is 27kb/s also there is the green tick saying everything is working as it should. why is this? because I'll have to sue someone!

Hi,

I just found a trick that increased my speed dramatically!

First i found that all my udp connections are blocked when throttle is in effect from 5 to 12 pm week-day.

I just limit my utorrent to Only use tcp connection.

Simply go in to preference and then in advanced,

And edit the "bt.transp_disposition" to value: "5" and then set.

To apply changes simply Stop all your Torrents and wait 10 seconds and restart them.

I was able to reach my connection limit during traffic shaping hours.

Hope this works for others,

Good luck

There is a big problem with speed of loading

utorrent doesn't search and doesn't connection to local computers of the provider (Internet IP 93..... 176......)

Therefore speed of loading can't be maximum and streaming video in utorrent it is impossible to look :(

The reason in number of given IP trackers. By default 50 IP everyone.

Probability of connection very small :(

1849852.jpg25915962.jpg

If to limit number peers IP trackers , it will be very good :)

3554583.jpg45948611.jpg

Great speed at users

The big pleasure to providers

There is no war torrents vs providers

Very much make :)

Probably ISPs have more than one technique for throttling.

The worst case to me is DPI (deep packet inspection) they apply by their firewalls which filters traffic based on packet inspection, so determining which application is being involved.

So DSL speed test still reports full bandwidth, and even a regular download goes as fast as expected.

However specific p2p applications (but could be any app of their choice), are still blocked by filters in place, thereby controlling bandwidth usage and preventing local traffic congestion (rather than on per-user basis).

I can tell that encryption does nothing, it doesnt affect this throttling at all, and I guess in such a case no setting could ever be successful, until they are able to hide source app identity, and go through the ISP firewall (both outgoing and incoming connections).

Any idea is welcomed, just wanted to bring it to your attention, and possibly find some workaround for this specific (nasty) throttling manner. :D

Edit (link added):

You can test which traffic is being filtered by this test:

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php?

• 1 month later...

I have Eastlink in Alberta Canada...they throttle my torrent at daytime thru midnight..my daytime speed is at 330 kilobyte per sec max..nightime sometimes is 115 max..that's not just a coincidence when your speed is never going up even a kilobyte higher at those exact speed limit.I always test it with reliable seeded private trackers and they are not giving me the max 1.8 MB/s that i normally get and what i signed up for..The funny thing is it is always at midnight that they turn my speed back to normal.yes at midnight..that's when it all goes back to 1.8 MB/s again..I am so frustrated with this,,it has been half a year and there is no other provider that are available except for phone companies with dsl and have bandwidth limit monthly,,even that im not sure if they throttle also..pure crap ISPs

• 1 month later...

I've got kinda the opposite to report.

I'm in the US, Georgia to be exact, and using Comcast with what seems to be no throttling issues. AS OF YET. I've even been getting 2.1 MB/sec on WiFi which still amazes me.

I just recently signed onto their web site and found out that even while trying to be careful I've been blowing past their 250 GB/month cap. (Funny thing is I moved here year ago, in Sep, and in Oct they implemented this NEW policy.) I've been verbally slapped on the wrist twice for going over their cap, but nobody would supply me with monitoring software or even mentioned it was POSTED on their site!!!

I don't like them and I don't trust them, but for now they're the best (read fastest) game in town.

I emailed Eastlink(Alberta) about thottling me,and that I know for a fact that they are,because at this exATC time its limited below these certain speed..So they emailed me back admitting that they practice throttling..at these times..

EastLink applies the following to Peer-to-Peer traffic:

Time of Day: 0000-0700 Download: N/A Upload: 512Kbps

Time of Day: 0700-1800 Download: 6Mbps Upload: 300Kbps

Time of Day: 1800-0000 Download: 5Mbps Upload: 240Kbps

here's the link http://eastlink.ca/west/about/legal/aup.asp

NOTE:that my speed is slowed down lower than those posted above,,night time its 100 kilobyte/s max and r daytime its at 334 kB/s max

It's bullshit having to have your downloads on at midnight thru 7am(no throttling)

• 1 month later...

I use to be with BeThere which was uncapped/unthrottled Torrents, but now I'm with TalkTalk, GB which is on the list of Bad ISPs in the United Kingdom. :( I am currently being capped from 3pm - 12am with speeds of up to 5KB/s.. :| This affects me so much I had to use paid services such as UseNet £6 a month :mad:... I don't want to pay any more and I don't like using UseNet communities! I would like to use Torrents like the old days! :cool:

Can anyone help recommend which settings to use and ports etc?

Much appreciated. ;)

for sure, Shaw packet shapes. I get 10kb/s upload and about 30kb/s download with a package that is capable of 100 times that speed.

I change ports and restart torrent, and the upload speed happily goes fast for about a minute, and then it drops off again. If I do this, it kills the download speed and then slowly comes back up to the regularly throttled speed.

I tried these in different combination's to no avail:

- forcing encryption

- enabling encryption

- forcing tcp only

- limiting concurrent connections

- cycling ports

End of story: It is much faster for me to use torrents with my local Telus DSL provider as they don't employ such tactics as to offer speeds which are not available for use due to restricting you from using those speeds. It makes absolutely no sense why anyone should be using a high speed provider if they offer high speed internet comparable to dial-up speeds.

If you don't like packet shaping or packet filtering, don't use providers who employ it. Unfortunately many of you have no options and as such is killing the whole idea of using the internet to begin with. Time to turn off the computer and buy a book?

Hi,

I just found a trick that increased my speed dramatically!

First i found that all my udp connections are blocked when throttle is in effect from 5 to 12 pm week-day.

I just limit my utorrent to Only use tcp connection.

Simply go in to preference and then in advanced,

And edit the "bt.transp_disposition" to value: "5" and then set.

To apply changes simply Stop all your Torrents and wait 10 seconds and restart them.

I was able to reach my connection limit during traffic shaping hours.

Hope this works for others,

Good luck

Just wanted to say that worked for me, I'm on Bell Canada which brings all my speeds down to 25 kb/s at around 4pm. I have encryption as enabled, not forced, and also set bt.transp_disposition to 5, and stopped all torrents, restarted, and speed went through the roof. Thanks! :)

Edit: Seeding still not going up unfortunately, at about 0.8 kb/s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have Comcast as my ISP and I want to assure you that this is not the best choice for bittorrent. You can use some paid service that provide encrypted tunnel (i'm using pirateray dot com ). Now i haven't any problems with torrents.

Unfortunately ISPs are catching on to this. It's only a matter of time before they start throttling that address you are using... But as long as it works, keep using it I guess.

Just, I wouldn't reccommend signing up for the 5 year plan...:/

Just had to add this to the jumble here of ISP throttling solutions. As mentioned already Rogers of Canada is notorious at throttling the upload of torrents. Actually what it does it Throttles all encrypted traffic basically to a crawl so certainly does not help to go setting your utorrent to encrypt your traffic after taking all other steps to improve your speeds that might be suggested here, as I found out ..lol

Nothing at all was working for me, then all at once I remembered seeing that small fact about Rogers throttling all encrypted traffic and simply clicked the encryption from force no legacy ..to no encryption at all ... and voila

unfortunately in no time at all ...my port was pinpointed and I was back to very low speeds..lol

perhaps by using some of the mentioned port used ordinarily by other programs that stream or game ports ..or something like that ???

anyway ...just thought I'd add that to the mix ...as I know there are so many much smarter people in here than I and that this information might just be one of the puzzles that helps someone else out.

for me on port 1072 for 1/2 hour with encryption off ...I did get max my upload capacity bandwidth uploading for the first time in a very long time ..and I enjoyed it ..lol I had been for a long time not detected using cFos Speed ..but unfortunately something is amist and that has failed me somehow :(

Yeah I am using TEKSAVVY. They do not throttle. I pay $65 a month ($55 before taxes) in Canada (southern Ontario near Toronto) and I basically use my internet for everything so it works out great. Never had a problem. I get 3MBPS download and 125KBPS upload consistently and those are the minimums.

Funny thing is, TEKSAVVY is a 3rd party internet company, and they use Rogers Cable lines and Bell Telephone lines for their service, so even though I'm connected through rogers lines, because of some new laws the Canadian govt. passed, I can be routed directly to TEKSAVVY servers. Anyone in Canada who wants great internet with no plans just month to month. Go TEKSAVVY.

• 3 months later...

Yeah I am using TEKSAVVY. They do not throttle. I pay $65 a month ($55 before taxes) in Canada (southern Ontario near Toronto) and I basically use my internet for everything so it works out great. Never had a problem. I get 3MBPS download and 125KBPS upload consistently and those are the minimums.

Funny thing is, TEKSAVVY is a 3rd party internet company, and they use Rogers Cable lines and Bell Telephone lines for their service, so even though I'm connected through rogers lines, because of some new laws the Canadian govt. passed, I can be routed directly to TEKSAVVY servers. Anyone in Canada who wants great internet with no plans just month to month. Go TEKSAVVY.

Yes, Teksavvy does. Well, no but because they buy time on Bell lines and Bell DOES throttle. I'm on 6mb service and it's coming down the pipe right now at 8kb (19 of 159 seeds) and 6kb (18 of 99 seeds) respectively.

For various reasons (shaping being one), I left bell and went to Tek. I'm still being choked today (albeit one ISP removed).

I checked using glasnost yesterday and came up with this:

Results for your host (69-XXX-XXX-190.dsl.teksavvy.com - 69.XXX.XXX.190):

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your uploads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 670 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 246 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 6881. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 670 Kbps while uploads on port 46276 achieved up to 248 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 5384 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 236 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 5384 Kbps while downloads on port 46276 achieved up to 239 Kbps.

• 2 months later...
Just had to add this to the jumble here of ISP throttling solutions. As mentioned already Rogers of Canada is notorious at throttling the upload of torrents. Actually what it does it Throttles all encrypted traffic basically to a crawl so certainly does not help to go setting your utorrent to encrypt your traffic after taking all other steps to improve your speeds that might be suggested here' date=' as I found out ..lol

for me on port 1072 for 1/2 hour with encryption off ...I did get max my upload capacity bandwidth uploading for the first time in a very long time ..and I enjoyed it ..lol I had been for a long time not detected using cFos Speed ..but unfortunately something is amist and that has failed me somehow :([/quote']

3rd party internet company use their own modem, I believe robers(rogers) and hell(bell) use throttle with their modem not their cable/telephone line. i'm using nexicom in toronto paying $77.95 monthly + $8.95 dry Loop monthly fee, modem's included. VDSL2+ which give the speed up to 25 Mbps / 7 Mbps -Unlimited Bandwidth.

this link might be helpful for some people who want to switch to a better company > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqw272FAdwiXdHBqajBqdnlWaXJGUUpmcmhiUnZ5S3c#gid=0

Archived