ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

ISP Throttling is going to be the norm in the near future, so you'd better get used to it.

As long as there is copyright material to be had in torrenting then this "throttling" situation is just going to get more widespread with all the isp companies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys I need your help.

My ISP is throttling capping each of my connections. If a torrent has a single seed with 20mb/s of upload speed, I'll download from it at 15 kb/s.

If the same torrent had 500 seeds with upload limit of 10 kb/s each I would be able to download at 5.000 kb/s.

This happens also to anything else. If I download from a http server, each download goes at 10kb/s. If I set my download manager to start multiple downloads from the same http server, it goes high.

So what I would like to know is if there's a solution inside utorrent to do multiple connections in the same IP and if there's any windows software that could do this for all the other connections. A solution that would do multiple connections into anything.

• 1 month later...

For those folks with Comcast / XFINITY (laughing at the slow rebranding to move away from the stink "Comcast" has on it), you may have noticed what looks like throttling on your torrent downloads in the past couple of weeks. I noticed it this past week. After some research, I found this little gem that outlines their "congestion management" guidelines (dated 5/17/12).

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/network-management-information/

The important section is "Real world" types of bandwidth consumption that might be considered too much. It appears that the days of having download speeds set to "Unlimited" may be over (for Comcast customers anyway). Within 5-10 minutes of having downloads peak at 2.5 MB/s, my downloads were throttled all the way down to ~12 kB/s, so I can verify the policy is in effect, at least for Chicago.

I've been experimenting with capping the download speeds at 100 kB/s, 200 kB/s, and 300 kB/s. While I've had some fluctuations above 150 kB/s, my connection speeds have been consistently under that. I'm doing some further tests to see if any other factors will affect the download speeds (number of files, connected peers, etc). Encryption, connected peers, resolving IPs and all the other sorts of workarounds and tweaks in uTorrent did not change a thing when "Unlimited" download speed was set, I might add.

YMMV of course, but this has at least allowed me to get in the vicinity of decent download speeds again. Given what I'm paying for their service, I'm not happy of course and will be looking for an alternate provider who can offer a better level of service for the cost. Hopefully, this will provide some information for sudden speed drop-offs others on Comcast may be seeing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. I have seeds 0 (0) and peers 0 (0) on my torrents. My ISP blocks me from connecting to peers. On my old torrents, I had already connected to some peers from a different internet connection so I was able to download those torrents even though I cannot connect to new peers. Twice I was able to connect to peers, I don't know how, maybe those peers sneaked past the ISP defences lol. Once I have peers, the download speed is fine. Any ideas how to connect to peers when ISP blocks connecting to peers? Any recommended settings? By the way, I set encryption setting to forced and can very rarely connect to peers.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

My top speed dropped from about 1.8 MB/s to around 70 kB/s overnight last week. After using speedtest I found that my internet connection was still running at it's normal speed.

After trying a bunch of different things I gave my ISP a call, O2, and they informed me that throttling had been activated on my line.

Depending on your specific package they can throttle your P2P traffic at any time if they decide you are using too much bandwidth.

I was on the "All-Rounder" package and the guy on the other end told me if I move to "The Works" package my speeds would go back up.

So I agreed to switch and pay extra. Then about 15 mins later my torrent speeds shot back up to about 1.5 MB/s.

Obviously there can be other reasons for torrent speeds dropping a lot very quickly and I would advise checking these out before calling your ISP. I wasn't really keen to draw attention to myself by telling them I use torrents.

But if you are on any of the O2 packages below "The Works" this is could well be the problem.

Cableone.net starting 1 July reset our modem so I had to reboot it within seconds of starting uTorrent.

Though I started using VPN which works fine it is not a real solution as it makes me dependent on another

service whioch could be discontinued at any time.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Like many others... im having throttling problems with my connection...

I have BT Infinity in the UK, about 35m Connection download, and 7 upload.

But I would be lucky to see over 20kbs on most downloads!

Its driving me nuts, I have tried a few things like encryption on uTorrent, and Peerblock etc, but nothing seems to work.

I have had one download get to 200kbs and pretty much stay there, but im not sure if that was down to the encryption or Peerblock.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what I can try, even if I was to remove all of uTorrent/Peerblock/Blocklist etc and start from scratch.

• 1 month later...

Howdy, folks.

I was wondering how current this list was. The last update listed here is (2010-01-22 18:38:22). I can't find a date for my ISP on the VuzeWiki. My current ISP is CLEAR. I spoke to a customer service rep who stated flat out that they do not limit BitTorrent traffic. Quite possible they lied, as I'm having explainable speed issues, and the VuzeWiki lists CLEARWIRE (former company name) as a "BAD ISP".

Any help?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Its driving me nuts, I have tried a few things like encryption on uTorrent, and Peerblock etc, but nothing seems to work.

I have had one download get to 200kbs and pretty much stay there, but im not sure if that was down to the encryption or Peerblock.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what I can try, even if I was to remove all of uTorrent/Peerblock/Blocklist etc and start from scratch.

I'm in same boat as you. Infinity was fine for me until last week. I just suddenly can't get anymore than 5/20bk/s

Hi all,

Read BT's policy on peer to peer networking and VoIP.

http://www.btplc.com/Responsiblebusiness/Ourstory/Sustainabilityreport/report/Bconnections/security/fairuse.aspx

This information is always available from any ISP, you just have go and LOOK for it!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, in Belgium ISPs throttle/interfere with BitTorrent , I had a slow provider before so it was ugly.

My remedy was to use Utorrent, Tixati, Vuze and Zmoth all together, downloading at least 20 torrents simultaniously : this helped !

Now with a faster provider this is not as critical but seems to me :

MORE BITTORRENT CLIENTS GIVE MORE TOTAL SPEED, WHERE AS 1 IS MORE LIMITED !

Am I right ? :rolleyes:

MORE BITTORRENT CLIENTS GIVE MORE TOTAL SPEED, WHERE AS 1 IS MORE LIMITED !

Am I right ?

Nope, you're delusional.

Quick answer, but tested, experienced, no !

For example, when IPS puts the break on for a certain torrent, having f i four with brakes gives four times better !

This is how before with my nasty ex-ips got things going !

Why do you think this does not give any result ?

Greetings, Leko

Because your issue is your ISP, not the number of torrents you run at a time.

Get a better internet provider.

"ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent" is the name of this forum, THE ISSUE, I think !

You say your ISP does not throttle, good for you ! But, don't be selfish and think about solutions, not just comments!

I already have a new provider (you should now as I stated it before), but he is new on the market, looking for subscribers, so, nice for now, but later ?

I do not have the problem now, ... later who knows ? (maybe even you !)

Why do you come to this forum if you do not want to help others ?

STAY POSITIVE, Leko

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Could we also list IPS that DON'T?

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs

Online tester for ISP throttling: Glasnost

my college uses cyberroam

but i had bypassed it to download torrents using the random port 45682 and other few changes

but suddenly it has stopped downloading

it shows the status as downloading but it doesnot download

neither the download size is shown

no health nothing

plz help me brother

• 1 month later...

I'm facing issues with slow Internet speed on my windows 7 pc after ugrading to latest version of utorrent.

I went to speedtest and shows 1.45mb downspeed and 0.76 mps upload speed!!! (this is with latest version installed)

I tried getting an older version installed and uninstalled the latest version thinking this might solve my issue but did not.

So I decided to check my laptop pc running window 7 to see if this pc that does not have utorrent on it is slow or not and went to do speedtest

Result for the laptop not running utorrent were:

15.83mbps downspeed and 5.61 Mbps upload speed.

Can some please let me know why all of a sudden after I went for upgrade I'm facing this issue I've been using utorrent for 7 years upgrading all the time until two days ago after this upgrade now I'm facing this issue.

I have time Warner ISP living in USA california.

Archived