ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a bad ISP indeed.They are giving u speed much lower than what u purchased. Check your connection speed. follow the guide on speed problem

i agree with the bad ISP part.

but before a month ago I'm having 50+ download speed but it came down to 0-5 so suddenly.

then I heard from some friends that TM Net is Traffic Shapping, and after I went to Azureus's wiki site I completely believe it.

anyway, which guide are you mentioning?

and can someone help me in using SecureIX?

cause i can't connect to the VPN server.

getting Error 800

Well this is a major problem. I don't see how ISPs can justify throttling or even blocking off BitTorrent traffic. We pay for the bandwidth and should be able to use 100% of it for whatever suits us. If I will not be able to kill the pipe of the ISP. I'm only getting the bandwidth I'm paying for anyway (if the ISP has done the math). ISPs should never become middlemen for RIAA or MPAA (but if they pass a law about it they obviously would have to comply in order to continue business). The minister of culture here in Norway states that he wants to stop filesharing of copyrighted material and further mentions enforcing the ISP to limit it's clients connections as a possibility. Currently no known ISP here in Norway blocks P2P traffic.

I'm with Pipex, and i know for a fact that they have throttled pretty much all P2P clients down to a max of 20Kb/s to 25Kb/s. I used to use emule for a long time, till it became pretty much useless to me whilst i was with that particular ISP. However, i was informed by a friend of mine that uTorrent had an option in it's programme to enable 'Protocol encryption', (still not sure how it works), but my d/l'ing ability using this particular client. (uTorrent) has increased to between 40Kb/s to 45Kb/s, and u/l'ing at a constant 20Kb/s, which is a huge relief as finding a friendly P2P is a daunting prospect at this time.

Thank you guy's @ uTorrent!

Is it true that we can call up our ISP and ask which port they use for gaming purposes, like XBox, without arousing suspicion? I heard that you can then use this port without being throttled.

Also--is it possible for ISPs to throttle you even if you're using Protocol Encryption?

Hi, I'm using uTorrent with AOL in germany. My question, if there is any known limitation with AOL, refers to a uTorrent installation I did for a friend yesterday. I nearly could not believe that my friend had a rather stable download speed of up to 120 kB/s after a few minutes - on a single torrent!, while I am usually getting a "speed rush" of maybe 17 kB/s - at least for a while. Both installations use the standard setup, the only relevant difference I can see is my friend is with another, local isp.

Hope my english is not too strange to understand, any answer would be appreciated.

kukuruz so you are conected to AOL and you want to know if AOL is limiting your BT traffic.

I do'nt know if AOL in D is limiting BT traffic.

check it by DLing this legaltorrents.com torrent.

http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/route-66-de.torrent

(German spoken documentarylike film bout Route66)

legaltorrents.com have a high speed peer in .NL

If your µtorrent setup is okay, your network equipment is not crappy to handle BT traffic you will get full speed on these legaltorrents if your ISP is not throtteling them.

µtorrent-Guest I gave it a try and my DL startet with up to 170 kb/s. After a minute or so speed decreased clearly, ranging wildly between 0.3 and up to 75 kb/s now. But for sure AOL at least doesn't limit, must be my firewall or whatelse.

Thank u for that torrent-link, it's a useful thing.

• 1 month later...
Atlantic BB users rejoice.. The new version of utorrent works with PE on.

Unfortunately I am having problems with my upload rate. I am not uploading at all. Any solutions for this?

If you have peers you are connected to that are not using compression, then your ISP is able to see the traffic and block it. It sounds to me like you'll need to turn encryption on to forced and turn off all legacy connections so you HAVE to have encrypted transfers or you'll get blocked.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, there is alot of talk here about ISP's and bandwidth throttling, but why is it that whenever I use ANY torrent d/load software, either at work (on leased T1), or at home (Comcast, Chicago), i almost ALWAYS experience where the upload is higher than the download. and If i change the upload limit to (unlimited) it will go up as high as 75kbps and download is almost ALWAYS 3-4kbps max... OK, there are some d/loads that i get where they finish in 2hours, but 99% of them range in the U/L ratio of 200%+. And Ive seen where the Seeds are upwards of 20 IP Address, and they all have 100% avail, but i only d/load from 2 or 3 at best. Whats goin on here? Am I just not understanding the math behind Torrents? I thought the idea was, you get as much as you give? If that were the case, I would be supplying 900% of the uploads! (and getting maybe 1 file per every 3 weeks!)

(I have Static IP, Linksys Wired Router, Motorola Surfboard modem, Comcast Broadband, No VOIP, NO Wireless, Windows XP SP2....etc..

DivXTrdr, I also have Comcast service in Chicago and a Motorola Surfboard modem (the 5120), though no router, and while my IP is DHCP-assigned they haven't changed it in months.

But I don't experience what you're reporting at all. Perhaps the problem is that you're saturating your uplink by not capping your download. The usual recommendations I've read are to limit it to 80% of what your ISP offers you (for us, about 40 KiB/s) while you're downloading, a little more while you're seeding but not downloading but still using your connection for web surfing or email or such, and perhaps going unlimited only if you're leaving torrents seeding while you're away from the computer and not using your connection for anything else at all.

• 2 weeks later...

SecureIX i cant be able to configure it properly. cant seem to connect. I'm using Staruhb ISP from singapore with win2k pro as OS. i tried many ways but cant seem to work for me. does anyone knows?? help need here :)

many thanks

SecureIX i cant be able to configure it properly. cant seem to connect. I'm using Staruhb ISP from singapore with win2k pro as OS. i tried many ways but cant seem to work for me. does anyone knows?? help need here :)

many thanks

Starhub sucks :(( I use it too. Thank god for utorrent and PE.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived