ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vpn actually works for me. I'm from Portugal. My cable ISP is also applying traffic shaping/QoS (call it what you want). I think that the problem is the way the tracker connection is done (unencrypted, plain http). So, if we can avoid our ISP gateway, the ISP can not "see" the connection between our pc and tracker. This means that they can't see the ip list that tracker sends to us. They can't identify the IPs. When a connection is done to a ip that is seeding/downloading a torrent the ISP thinks it's a normal connection, not bittorrent. So the connection goes on without being throttled.

Let me show you the how i do it:

1 - Connect to the VPN (we just need it to connect to the tracker and receive the peers list)

when connected to the VPN, our predefined gateway is the vpn gateway. This means the communications between your PCs and the tracker is done through the vpn. The ISP can't see. They can't "blacklist" those ips given by the tracker.

2-In utorrent, Options | Preferences | net.outgoing_ip: put your IP, assigned by your ISP (if behind a router, i think that you must put your static/dhcp assigned internal ip address)

This forces the peers connections to be made through your ISP and prevents them to be reseted when you disconnect the vpn.

3-utorrent, Options | Preferences | BitTorrent | IP/Hostname to report to tracker: also put here your IP assigned by your ISP.

4-Start your torrent. You'll be limited by the vpn bandwidth. Don't worry.

5-Disconnect from vpn. Now your default gateway is your ISP gateway. You can use your bandwidth.

Hope this helps someone (if your isp is applying traffic shaping/QoS the way my isp does)

sorry for my english

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly , you are to smart :P

my torrent now getting full speed , i just put the ip address on the both place you said , i run the torrent and i connect to VPN , but no need to disconnect it .

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in the same boat as NK33. Our network is running through Time Warner/RoadRunner and we were completely throttled a few days ago. Unfortunately I dont own the connection so there is very little I can do about it. The owner of the connection is completely terrified. He isnt going to do anything about it because hes afraid. This is like terrorism. No, it really IS terrorism. If one of you is a lawyer you could probably shove the constitution straight up their narrow behinds in a couple states. I really dont think the way we are going about it is the way to do it anymore. Where are those hackers that did all that damage and sent a warning a few years back that the corporate world should not mess with P2P? Time to back up the threats. Terror should be met with terror.

I think UPC (Chello, Hungary) can be added too...

Seeding outside of our country are allmost impossible, inside it goes like around 20% of the maximum...

I'm the only seeder, one downloader only. My connection is active, green arrow and stuff...

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Well I stay in a country where people never complain and censure is given.

The souther Provinces here do not get more than 12 -22 kb/s speed using p2p by downloading. The shared oversee cable in Taiwan which got destroyed by the sea quake in January I think is allready repaired so south east asia should have full speed back.

But it isn't!

2 years ago torrent, emule did work with maximum speed as my line have 2,5 mb/s down and 1 mb/s upload speed.

I guess CAT Telecom TH use traffic shaping as well to oversee and all other ISP's here @ THIX filtered with 2 times NetCache NetApp/6.0.4 inside the lines so that the real ip is a forwarder for the same ip address, looks like a proxy from outside. My IP xxx is a forwarder for the same IP.

I wold like to test http://www.dosdragon.com/antithrottle.zip but this site is not to access so I can't download it to test it. I will very appriciate if someone can attach the file or post an alternativ url.

sorry for bad english.

Please add ACI (Aurora Cable Internet), Ontario Canada to the list.

Last month they started throttling bittorents. Azureus and BitTornado do not work even with the encryption. utorrent seems to be doing better though, I am getting higher speeds than I did on both of the other ones. I'm assuming the encryption used is different from the one the other 2 apps are using.

Nope, the encryption is all the same between Azureus, BitTornado, and µTorrent.

However, you may have more bandwidth for downloading/uploading pieces of the torrent in µTorrent due to it possibly not making as many connections at once. Just having connections costs bandwidth, even if no data is sent!

Anyone else in Thailand recognice that especially in South Thailand doesn't matter which ISP since a year is possible throttle by bittorrent, p2p include emule?

Speed are never more as 12-24 kb/s avarage. Peek 58kb/s 24h/7 on a 2048kb/s line!

Just for a minute or two in the early morning hours can reach 80 - 120 kb/s

Test with CAT Telekom, TOT, Asia Net, all the same. There is no ISP left which is faster even by 40 - 80 us dollar/months internet to oversees.

Are we in the same situation as Malaysia was???

Thanks for the info. I did this allready many times. Linux, openoffice torrents etc... changing computers, test by friends with other ISP's differnet client soft. below 60 kb/s download speed max. peek for a second or two, almost only 6 - 24 kb/s around no more. It's happen since November 2006. Before (November '06) BitTorrent was run with more than 100 kb/s avarage. I did read about Malaysia TM-Net throttled. That shows in Thailand p2p is up to unusable if a download is more than 50 MB of size or it takes many days long.

I did believe changing ISP helps at first but they are all the same (CAT, TOT, Asia Net,...). Calling them service hotlines don't give any information. If I check my IP by ipid.shat.net the info shows: HTTP Forwarded For: my ipxxx.xxx.xxx..., same ip number again (my ip is a forwarder for the same ip). Proxy Host/Type: 1.1 C3300-5 (NetCache NetApp/6.0.4), 1.1 C3300-5 (NetCache NetApp/6.0.4)

means 2 times NetCache between. Some ISP have only shared IP's so that the outgoing IP is with 1000+ people the same (Rapidshare and others shows this IP is already downloading non stop 24h/7days). I come to the result Thailand throttle all ISP's in the whole country especialy in the southern provinces or do not have enough bandwidth for all, cause of oversale internet access contracts or you have to live not far away from Bangkok cause it's the only international accesss point there.

I ask my self for what I pay for a 2048 kb/s down and 1048 kb/s upload speed line a 10 times higher price as in Europe. (New contracts with this speed 2mb/s beginn now by 100 Euro/Months).

there must be one ISP in this god-forsaken country that offers an adsl max package that has absolutely no limits!!!??? I would pay even if it was about £35 per month to know that there were no limits!

There is by all ISP Thai Internet Traffic Exchange (THIX) Gov. at the end. Can't bypass. In the southern provinces are not many ISP's. Region of Bangkok have more ISP's.

Maybe only with foreigner Internet Sattelite (Singapore??) Online it will be possible to use internet normal.

Sometimes imageshak.us is blocked sometimes this and that domains with a green government logo ACCESS Forbidden. If try using a proxy it just change to another local IP number from ISP +/- 1 (I don't have a router just a DSL Modem). Yes they offer now for 2 mb/s lines, the same I have, 24.000 THB Thai Baht/Months and more (about 33 - 37 Baht = 1 US Dollar) will be about 400 - 500 Euro (see TOT price info of 2048 kb/s lines with 1048 kb/s upload). My 2 mb line package unlimit traffic/time is since November 2006 limited to peek 1.4 MB/s. Avarage never more as 300 - 460 kb/s. Listen radio from Oversee is up to impossible. Using Torrent by downloading a CD image takes 4 days almost more than a week by 24h online time. (on weekends it's exteme slow below 128 kb). If someone can help or know if it is possible to use/have available any foreigner internet sattelite online access I will be very happy.

Thank you all.

• 3 weeks later...

For months I have been attempting to get around the traffic shaping clearwire has. They are my current ISP and I am unfortunately stuck with them for a while. I had no luck with proxies or enabling encryption until today.

TOR!!!

http://tor.eff.org/

The above link is to a new project that allows surfing the web anonymously. Picture all the users using the same structure somewhat like bittorrent. Encrypted connections between each allows for safe browsing.

All you have to do is install and point utorrent to the local proxy installed 127.0.0.1:8118

This allows a connection to the tracker.

Guys you need to listen. ISP's are now just reducing your TOTAL bandwidth during peak times to half a meg if you download in excess of approx 50gb per month (limits vary depending on which ISP you are with). I am on my 3rd ISP this year. As soon as they start messing with my connection I flip out on them and send them a strong, threatening letter and 1 week later I have my migration code, even when I am under contract!!

I am trying these guys next : http://www.fast4.net/

Good luck everyone!

That is the most messed up thing I have ever heard! they are surely in breach by blocking specific sites! that is total censorship. If I were you I would write a strong letter requesting a migration code.

i really don see the point of postin anymore..

first of all..ill like to thnk the teem of utorrent for makin such an awesome software..

now..

the conculsion..which evryone arrived on..

in the first page or 2 was tht life has become hell becoz of the ISPs actions..

n tht nuin can be done abt it..

so y keep postin..10 pages later...theres no new conclusion...

i was in india a week back...was usig utoreent thru a company offering free broadband on trial basis..

thru uttorrent ive ben able to download at 450 kbps...

no problems from the ISP..

but ofcorse... im in singapoore rite now...

signed up fr singtel brodband..

now tell me..

even tho the question is retorical...

shud i feer downloadin "the world" thru torrents...???

• 2 weeks later...

looks as though 012.net in Israel is also interfering with BT. Strange how downloads seem to be around 75% ok in the off peak hours - but when peak hours come downloads drop to almost zero - then revert to 75% late at night - very early morning. And that is when everything is configured correctly ( OS, Router, Open and Forwarded Ports, BT Clients) and NAT is green and totally reachable and with a 3 mb connection. They don't and won't admit to doing it but there are problems with them in other internet fields such as VOIP.

Archived