ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

You mention the OpenOffice torrent, but what is considered slow from that download?

The uplinks for that torrent aren't even that fast, from where I can see. I don't get higher than 380 kB/s from it, whereas many other torrents will easily max out my local DSL speed, for example those at tvtorrents.com.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check this out

i did a speed test download @ 1.5 mbps and upload @ 358 kbps turning off qos on xp. and with all my ports correct with my wireless wrt54g v2 with firmware v 4.21.1 i upload 42kbps on average of 5 minutes, down load speeds are around 560 kbps.

my question? is this the best it will get!? i mean besides increasing my isp speed and pay more.

or by changing the firmware will i get an emprovement

thanx

• 2 weeks later...

Throttling of BitTorrent traffic is even MORE pronounced on upload speed...many people can't even upload faster than 1-5 KiloBYTES/sec TOTAL.

If you're on a torrent with lots of peers, and you have more of the torrent than they do and you're NOT uploading at your set upload speed max in µTorrent...either you set your upload speed too high or you're being throttled.

Verizon Yahoo Broadband DSL seems to be throttling BT bandwidth. It usually happened on the lower ports (< 10,000) so I just made my port in the 40,000 - 50,000 range and it was fine. This has been a year since, that I've been using those high ports and I've never had to enable encryption. Well a few days ago, I noticed nothing was moving faster that than a few kilobytes. I of course restarted everything (including my modem/router) and it was still really slow. I enabled encryption, and voila! my torrents are coming in fast again. FYI, this is with the same torrents, same port (42,030). So anyway, because I'm kind of curious about this kind of stuff, I disable encryption and the torrent speed drops. Oh well, I guess I'll be encrypting.

I'm in the Austin area of Texas, USA

(Also, other P2P traffic is affected as well and this strategy seems to fix it too.)

Someone see if they can reproduce my iffy experiment.

I'm on Comcast, been seeing the "no seeding" throttle for a few days now. Even when I am downloading the torrent, no seeding. Or it would jump for a couple seconds, then die.

I've read about having your system or router drop RST packets. I decided to look at my crappy Linksys RST300 router, just for grins.

I'm going through it, and I see - hey, this thing does QoS. Hey, I recall someone saying that Comcast prioritizes their voice traffic. Hey, I wonder ... if I put high QoS on my torrent port ... I wonder if Sandvine will ignore it?

I'll be damned. As soon as I put high QoS on the port I was using for bittorrent, I started getting regular high upload speeds.

I turned QoS off, to see if I could reproduce this. Oddly, my upload speed is still high.

The only things I can think are:

1) Complete coincedence, and Comcast just happened to turn off Sandvine on my segment at the exact moment I turned on QoS.

2) There's some kind of ignore timer which I hadn't exceeded when I turned QoS off.

I turned QoS back on.

EDIT: I should also remark that the high upload speeds are to nodes outside of Comcast. Also, I have not completed a download that needs seeding. Soon, though, and I'll report on that.

EDIT 2: I'm done downloading, seeding only. Still seeding at reasonable speeds.

I've read about having your system or router drop RST packets. I decided to look at my crappy Linksys RST300 router, just for grins.

I can't find anything about that router. Are you sure you have the model correct?

In particular, I'd like to know whether it actually does something to the packets that appears differently on the WAN side (such as tagging it for ClassofService). Many routers implement QoS only up to the gateway, allowing higher-priority packets to "cut-in-line" ahead of lower priority packets ... but once they leave the gateway onto the Internet, they're all treated the same.

Sorry, you're right. I was giddy with excitement.

RTP300. It's the cheap free one I got from Vonage.

More info: uTorrent on my basement server runs on port 14555 TCP and UDP. That's what I did this test on. It's still uploading fine, btw.

I tried doing it with uTorrent on my upstairs machine, which was using port 7999 TCP only. It didn't work. I changed the upstairs machine to use port 14556 TCP and UDP, and now that one works too.

My theory is this: Comcast uses QoS to prioritize its voice traffic. IIRC, VoIP traffic is on dynamic ports. I would expect that having Sandvine do deep packet inspection on VoIP traffic would destroy the quality and make their phone service stop working. So what they have to do is not have Sandvine inspect QoS packets; it (or whatever is redirecting away from Sandvine) doesn't need to do deep inspection to determine that they're QoS.

Now, if they're using QoS for voice, that means their network must support QoS end-to-end. Which means that I can put QoS on my packets, and they will be handled by the Comcast network in the exact same way that their voice traffic is.

I have no idea whether this cheapy router handles QoS tagging like you're saying it could - only at the gateway. All I know is that using high QoS on ports 14555 and 14556 TCP and UDP works.

EDIT: 7:49 PM CDT 8/25/2007. Uploads are still working completely normally. I've been trying to disseminate this information around the internet, to no avail. Digg, /., Broadbandreports. I figured it would be well received, but nothing yet.

Has anyone else tested this yet? Or does it only work for me?

An ISP in Indonesia named Alucionet is throttling torrent. They limit the speed very low. This is the quote of an email I received from them :

Right now, we limit the P2P traffic :

07.00 am - 05.00 pm : up to 50 kbps max

05.00 pm - 10.00 pm : up to 100 kbps max

10.00 pm - 12.00 pm : up to 150 kbps max

12.00 pm - 07.00 am : up to 280 kbps max

I'm using their 384 kbps product, and I'll change my ISP ASAP. For you who stay in Indonesia, don't ever try this ISP. You'll just given disappointment by them.

Encryption doesn't work.

Darn.

Okay, I also made a mistake. Let me set the stage (all references to speeds are upload):

Server machine runs uTorrent on 14555. Desktop machine was running it on 7999. Set QoS on 14555, all of a sudden uTorrent on the server started working. Set QoS on 7999, desktop was still goofy.

Changed desktop port to 14556, it started working, too. Forgot to change QoS from 7999 to 14556. So the desktop has been working normally on 14556 for apparently no reason.

Tonight I'm doing some more testing, speeds unrestricted.

I'm finding that if I launch the desktop, and wait for it to update all the peers, it works fine - until I also launch the server app, and even though these are running on different ports. After I launch the server, the server upload is nil, and the desktop upload drops from about to 8Kbps (from about 150Kpbs at the time, but obviously upload speed is variable based on demand). As soon as I kill the server, the desktop jumps right back up to normal speed.

Doing this the other way around: launch the server first, port 14555. I have good upload, but it took a while for the peers to find me and ask. Launch the desktop - upload speed tanks. Kill the desktop, upload speed returns.

Here's the kicker though. That's with QoS off.

I'm going to leave QoS off for a while, and see what happens. I'm still not convinced that QoS has nothing to do with it, at least for where I'm at (Chicago market). I imagine it's possible that there's some kind of ignore timer that hasn't run out on me yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new but DL speed went from 95.kbps and now is sitting with 99.3% of file DLd and sticking on 0.1kbps. Am on Comcast and Speakeasy speed tests show me running at 4Mbps DL and about 3MBps UL (s/b at 8Mbps but will take anything I can). When I started the DL I was fine and then it just disintegrated on me. I've paused anyone from UL and paused any seeding, just to get this last .7% DONE. Any thoughts????

I got rid of router so straight cable into CPU.....

Color me unhappy....and I love UTorrent!!!

HawaiianI,

That is almost certainly a 'dead' torrent -- you're not connected to any seeds, or for whatever reason the seeds you're connected to aren't uploading to you.

Chances are, you're not the ONLY peer stuck at that percent!

Check the availability and look in the Peers Window for other Peers stuck at a similar percent.

That torrent may also be a fake or poisoned torrent!

You'll probably have to give up on that torrent.

In any case, that's PROBABLY not your ISP's doing!

Mahalo Switeck,

Luckily I found another source and even when I tried to play the "dead" avi torrent, I got nothing. It's a relatively new torrent, so they're few and far between re even finding them, but since I did find a batch of RAR files, am going to see if that produces my AVI, which, of course, I'll create a torrent and seed it.

BTW, my ISP is going to send a maintenance guy out here to see what my problem is in getting half of promised speed (even if it means re-cabling the whole joint. I could die of old age wen it gets bad and DSL was impossible with needing to power off and on every two minutes and I've now lost use of my router because I wanted max capabilities. I'm assuming my Intel Pro 100 VE Network card is adequate since no one has mentioned anything about THAT and I ain't no techie!!! LOL

Again, thanks for your quick and nice response!

:) HawaiianI

Ciudad Internet Argentina should be added to the Bad ISP list.

They are throttling the torrents traffic since 12:00 to 23:00 (max speed: 1KB/s). Doesnt matters if you have the Encryption ON, Lazy_Bitfield Enabled or if you use random ports (doesnt matter the range, it is filtered).

Heh, the end is near.

Archived