ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Enabling Protocol Encryption has helped me some with upload speed. Download speed depends entirely upon the site I'm getting the torrent from. For instance, cartoon-world.org is lightning fast by comparison to isohunt.com.

You should have your system randomly generate the port each time you start utorrent. Also, if you've been downloading for a while, and things are slow, manually selecting the option to open a new random port couldn't hurt and may help.

Don't hold me to any of this actually increasing your speed, but it might. It's what I do.

The port test is a different matter altogether, and may or may not be fixable depending on your ability to control the router and IP designations. At any rate, that kind of discussion doesn't belong in this thread (you should start your own, and we can continue troubleshooting from there).

That's actually an impressive download speed. You have to remember that torrent files are not the same as directly downloading from a single source, which provides very high speeds. Torrents are shared files among many users, and for some reason, upload speeds are always very much slower than download speeds.

So the more people uploading, or "seeding" a file, hopefully the faster you can download it. That is why most places suggest continuing to seed a file until your seed ratio (availability is what utorrent calls it) is at least 1.0 or higher. That means that you have "shared" as much or more if you surpass 1.0 availability, as you have downloaded. That is how torrents grow.

If you download and then stop seeding at say 30 % or 0.300 in utorrent terms, that means you downloaded the entire file but only shared 30 % of it with others. That reduces the availabilty of torrents, and slows down the rate at which people can download, eventually reducing the number of seeds to zero and the torrent can no longer be downloaded.

You say it takes as long as 25 minutes to download a 700 MB file (I assume you meant Mega Bytes, not Mega bits). It has taken me days depending on the site and how long I'm logged on. You've got nothing to complain about. In fact, I'd like to know your upload speed, Internet Provider, and just what sites you are downloading from to achieve speeds like that.

A good download speed for me is only around 20 kB/sec, that's a rarity, and uploads are much slower. Right now I've got two files downloading, one at 1.5 kB/sec, and one at 2.5 kB/sec. Only one or two sites that I know of support speeds like you are talking about.

Sorry to be so wordy.

• 2 weeks later...

i found a cool little trick to bypass throttling (i have qwest in Arizona). in used a program called SuperScan which is normally used for hacking, sorry i don't know where to get it online but google is your friend. It scans your IP for open ports, after i scanned, I chose the one used for network printer access and went from 15 kB/s to around 50 kB/s.

**not a joke, the minute after i posted this, it was throttled. Im really beginning to think big brother sucks**

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping#Escalation_of_the_crypto_settings

Azureus encryption level 0 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Disable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" checked

Azureus encryption level 1 has no equivalent in µTorrent (weak encryption anyway -- it's only header encryption)

Azureus encryption level 2 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Enable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" checked

Azureus encryption level 3 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Enable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" unchecked

Azureus encryption level 4 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Forced" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" unchecked

Azureus encryption level 5 doesn't really have an equivalent in µTorrent.

There are ways via peer exchange and setting half open connections to 0 to simulate a higher level encryption in uTorrent. You must also have DHT disabled...and possibly resolve IPs as well.

Because trackers aren't contacted when half open connections are set to 0, some ISP blocking methods aren't triggered. HOWEVER, this absolutely requires you to be unfirewalled (green light) in uTorrent and may even require you to reset your modem and router occasionally.

Having a high max connection count could be bad, as although the ISP monitoring software/hardware may still treat your BitTorrent traffic with hostility due to the myriad of connections to you on a single port. So it may be required to keep connection max as low as 5!

thx for info, btw in 2 months time i will change my ISP to o2.co.uk, my mate have a broadband with them and his download is around 300-400kBytes(upload 100kBytes) at any time of a day so i recommended it for any one in UK who download a lot using p2p network

Archived