ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

Last two months, an ISP named OTEnet, here in Greece, seems to throttle "Peer to Peer" traffic, using Traffic Shaping with "Deep Packet Inspection" technics.

The Packet Inspection that this ISP uses, detects the encrypted traffic also. Users using uTorrent v1.7.7 (or bellow) are saying that the encryption doesn't tricks the "Traffic Shaping" that implements this ISP.

Beta testers of uTorrent v1.8 are saying that the encryption of this version works just great.

, that demostrates the throttling. (Greek audio without subtitles).

The Video is posted by three users from adslgr.com community, and it is discussed in this thread (Greek Language).

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Vigin Media and for the last couple of weeks whenever I log on to Utorrent (1.7.7) and download my broadband connection disconnects and then reconnects every 5 or so minutes. This does not happen when I exit Utorrent, so I assume it's my ISP doing this. Does anyone have an idea as to how to block this or adjust the setting to disguise that Utorrent is running?

"I am with Vigin Media and for the last couple of weeks whenever I log on to Utorrent (1.7.7) and download my broadband connection disconnects and then reconnects every 5 or so minutes. This does not happen when I exit Utorrent, so I assume it's my ISP doing this. Does anyone have an idea as to how to block this or adjust the setting to disguise that Utorrent is running?" said AndyK.

But how often are you downloading large amounts when you are not using Utorrent? Maybe the problem has nothing to do with Utorrent, but rather your connection is damaged in some way, or a download cap has been reached. You would be better off contacting your Internet service provider, and asking what is going on. Otherwise you may spend a lot of time searching for the answer to the wrong problem. Up to you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

okay - i'm on comcast and, so far as i know, there is no other way that i can subscribe to a different isp via cable.

i have searched the internet high and low -- i've tweaked my router (linksys), i've tweaked my pc (winxp-pro) and i've done all the port forwarding info that i can find. i've read through the utorrent 'help' on this topic and all the other 'tips' trying to find a coherent way to understand why i can't download at anything above 25kbps while i can upload at four times that rate.

now - there is ALOT of conflicting information out there and some of it is years old.

can anyone here help me walk through what else i might try?

thanks.

gee - thanks . . . thanks alot.

at age 52 with the equivalent three phd's i'm pretty sure i understand the RTFM type responses.

i have read it all. and while i'm a relative newbie to torrents, i've been around the internet since water was invented and i've more than 25 years of experience in various levels of computing.

if you bothered to READ my message, i said i've tried all of it -- most of it twice or more.

some of the information you provide conflicts with informations others provide. i was looking for an intelligent, person-to-person dialogue to help me work this through not some snappy snot-nosed reply that states the bleeding obvious.

but, again, thanks for taking the time to . . . er, . . . help.

If you want personal help don't use the "ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent" thread already established with a topic for your topic. If you're downloading @ 24 KiBps http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_Download_Limited_in_the_status_bar_mean.3F may apply to you... I find it hard to believe but not impossible that Comcast has simply shaped all traffic now... but you have to know what your connection does since your ISP does not care about you. Test with the OpenOffice or Slackware torrents for 1-3 minutes every hour you can, and make a chart. If it's always between 4p-2a like on Bell internet in .CA ( http://www.thestar.com/sciencetech/article/407730 ), then you know what's up

again, your first link provides nothing new . . . all that stuff i have reviewed and none of it applies to my situation, so far as i can tell.

my download speeds in other applications are much faster, regardless of time of day.

to quote the blurbette on the index page: "Speed problems? Firewall limiting your connection? Torrents won't download? Look here!" which is why i posted my question here. one would assume, in a reasonable world, that by having a FORUM one can expect HELP with one's problem. if all that can be done is to refer to the same bleeping 'faq', then why bother wasting everyone's time?

the fact is, if you don't know how to help or you just don't want to be bothered -- having the forum just reduces down to feeling good about yourself. there is no practical, much less advanced, support to be found here.

if that's true, just say so and i'll quit wasting my time.

I feel that the ISP I'm using right now, pesatnet /id is throttling

bittorrent traffic. Since last 2 months I feel uncomfortable to run

torrent on this ISP. Things that happened :

- They (maybe) limit the speed to each peer. The connection to each

peer never more than 1 kBps. This makes the overall speed become

very low. I'm sure that it happened not because of improper setting

of my torrent. I'm using the same setting since 4 months ago and

it worked well before.

- A strange phenomenon : The connection to my ISP is automatically

terminated when I run a torrent! I have to restart the receiver

manually to reconnect again. This makes me impossible to start a

torrent and just leave it to be finished. After few times (sometimes

directly, sometimes after few seconds / minutes) the connection

is surely terminated. I don't know what have they done, but I feel that

they must be doing 'something' to torrent traffic.

I'm not sure if it is throttling or not (because I don't know how to

proof). I just want to share my experience and maybe become consideration

before choosing this ISP.

What do you think?

if you bothered to READ my message, i said i've tried all of it -- most of it twice or more.

some of the information you provide conflicts with informations others provide. i was looking for an intelligent, person-to-person dialogue to help me work this through not some snappy snot-nosed reply that states the bleeding obvious.

That message link Firon pasted lets us get past all the bullshit and actually deal with the problem.

If you don't give us the information that post ASKS for, then you really don't want help with your problem as you'd prefer to just bitch.

I'm not interested in your age, I just wish you wouldn't waste your time and ours arguing that you don't want help or that we don't want to give it.

WE NEED MORE INFORMATION, period. Too many times, the person having trouble is too close to the problem and often overlooks something out of frustration.

Make a separate Speed problems forum post instead of cluttering this one.

I don't think Comcast is throttling anyone's connections to stop users from using torrent clients or peer to peer applications.

The first image below is a typical download speed for my utorrent client. Over 700 kbs.

utorrentfh2dl.jpg

==========================================================

This one is a screenshot of my ARES peer to peer client's window header, showing a download speed of over a meg a second.

aresdlspeed.jpg

==========================================================

Both examples are more than fast enough to get the job done and then some.......eh?

Just my opinion........based on the fact that I have no problems with Comcast speed.

I am using a standard, no frills comcast account that tested out at 10megs down and 1.5 up at Dslreports.com.

Because I am using XP sp2 I made the following adjustments.

increased my TCP receive window to 233600 and changed my TCP connection limit from the default 10 to 256.

That was all I had to do to it........hope it helps someone.

Respects......Winter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@RvNKng: ... being capped at 60kbps. ... [7mbps down, 512kbps up]

I think you are confusing kb/s (kilobit) with kB/sec (kilobyte). ISPs often advertise their speeds in kilo/mega bits, even though most applications display speeds in kilo/mega bytes.

512 kb/s equals 64 kB/s, so an upload speed of 60 kB/sec is pretty on par with your service cap.

Clearwire called me (voicemail) and said to run a virus check for abnormal up-traffic, etc. so i get this "level 2" tech guy on the line and he says that basicly they dont want to throttle me but they will unless i limit my up-width to 2 kbs! if i comply they will let me max out my down-width.

so my questions are;

1- is there a good utorrent upload mod that wont get my ip blocked?

2 has anyone had this problem

3 does this make me a mega leech ?

please all suggestions welcome - ive always been a good seeder and now i feel like i made a dirty deal with these Cucksockers.

Archived