ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

Hmm, clearwire wireless internet? I have that, heeh. Well I'd call their support, ask for escalation and a level 2 technician... see if they will go half way telling you what timeframes you can schedule your "bandwidth usage" to cause least harm. I notice I can get up to 2.5 Mbit down between 11pm-4:30 am, then again I am in the great white north.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they said they evaluate usage on a weekly basis so schedualing wont make a difference - i offered to limit my daytime traffic to whatever but he said they really want me at 2 kBs upwidth.

i set my max upload rate to 6 kBs , which is now a nearly flat red line maxing out 6 kBs and i seem to average about 45kBs with peaks in the high 90s for my down traffic

if i dont hear from them in 2 weeks do i call them back to see if all is copacetic?

i really cant afford to get cut off because they are my only broadband option other than DSL

So the technician used those words? I would suggest leaving it @ 6 then... and wait it out. It doesn't sound like they'll disconnect you, but you should still use the scheduler... so the bandwidth used doesn't increase for the next two weeks :P

I'm amazed it's considered "broadband"... but the fact you just plug in their adapter and get Mbit/sec download is sexy.

After wasting a good part of my morning trying to figure out the **** Glasnost problem I have come to the conclusion that my ISP is throttling my connection and have blocked me from using Glasnost. I have tried about every trick I know to connect to this testing website and I cannot. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a weird problem. I am using Vista Ultimate and utorrent. When I start utorrent I get great speeds...upto 300-500k. Then after about 5 mins or so the speed drops to under 10k (9.6k actually). I did the Glasnost test to see if my ISP iinet (in Australia) is tthrottling the speed but the test was successful. So I am at a loss....

Any ideals anybody???

Thx,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if anybody else has mentioned it, because I haven't read through 16 pages, but Time Warner definitely does NOT throttle here in Eastern NC. I seed 24/7 and download a pretty respectable amount as well. I always get my full 7Mbit/s down 712kbsp up, sometimes more during non-peak hours.

I'd love to have a synchronous line, but other than that they're really top notch!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

Way over in India, I have an unlimited 512 connection through MTNL - MAHANGAR TELEPHONE NIGAM LTD. - yeah, I know, awesome name.

What it offers is an unlimited, uncapped, guaranteed 512 kbps connection, HORRIBLE SPEED, but awesome features.

It has absolutely no packet shaping, or download caps of any sort, of course, with 50kbps, there isn't much capacity to seed.

Just thought it should be posted.

cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Astound Broadband (wave broadband), California - 3GB bandwidth capping per 24-hour period

Here's an email I received from one of their reps a year ago when I inquired about torrent speed caps:

Hello,

The type of connection the Bit torrent file transfer creates is the kind of connection that our network looks for when it limits the amount of bandwidth a single customer can use. Http and Ftp file transfers are not effected by the rate limiting. The network monitoring software we use looks for P2P/Bit Torrent type connections, and once it see's 3 gig's of data transfer across that type of connection, it automatically limits the amount of bandwidth reserved for those particular types of connections to 256k for 24 hours. The fact that Bit torrent and P2P connections have no cap as far as how fast they can transfer data, is what drives us to institute this rate limiting procedure. This is done so that not any one customer can utilize more then what they are paying for, thus hindering the connection rate of everyone in the area. Any ISP you go with will also have a similar rate limiting policy for specific connection types. Though they may limit your connection rate to a different speed, this is common practice among all ISP's.

Steve Lewis

Astound Broadband Technical Support

http://www.Astound.net

1-800-427-8686

This policy is still in effect today, even when using their highest tier internet plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping someone might have some advice about Bell's service. I switched over today and am instantly seeing terrible download speeds. I'm forwarded alright, have the firewall set-up alright - everything much like yesterday when I was with Shaw and had terrific speeds for download and upload. This is impossibly slow...

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Hello,

I am having speed probs, using vista ultimate, norton 2009 internet security, u torrent 1.8.1, telstra ( Australia ) wireless modem model MF626, at first it was great downloads and uploading now for some reason its slowed to a crawl can anybody please

help :( ..... you've probably heard it before but i how can i increase my downloads, is there a easy fix ??????

I need your help Thanks......................:)

Hiya, I've been a user on utorrent for almost 3 years now, but since changing ISPs I have found out recently through azereus that TalkTalk in the UK (I am near Liverpool) is throttling my connection. I used to get speeds of over 150kb/s, now I'm lucky if I get 10kb/s. If I want to download something I have to be a 'night owl' and download it between 3am and 6am, and its really getting to me.

Is there anyway I can get past this? Surely some technicians know how?

Or can anyone recommend an email or website so that I can complain to TalkTalk and ask them about it?

I did a speed test 10minutes ago and my download rate should be 3853kb/s and upload 616kb/s. So why the hell can't TalkTalk allow me to have this rate?

I recently did the Glasnost test and it said that my ISP (Bell.ca) isn't throttling my BitTorrent but I'm 98% sure it is. I'm getting 30 kbps maximum during the day and full 300 after 2 am. It's pretty much a known fact that Bell shapes traffic and they even admitted it, however, the test wasnt able to detect it. Could Glasnost be wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and im having a problem with opening the port on utorrent. It was working perfectly the first two days and suddenly it started displaying limited connectivity. I tried opening the port on bitdefender and it shows the port to be already opened!! but the utorrent program says that its closed. I tried disabling the firewall and it still doesnt work. I even uninstalled my anti-virus and also disabled the windows firewall too, still its the same. I tried using bittorrent and i get the same error all the time.

Can some one please help me with my situation? Thanks alot.

• 2 weeks later...

I started an issue ' Tracker incorrect by @zahav.net.ilreuven' about certain trackers having error 10055 after their name in list of trackers. After one of the letters made a comment about the server 02 bezeq , within a very short time all error 10055 were removed from the trackers and these trackers were back in action.

REuven

Hey all. I'm from israel and connecting through bezeq international.

My Cable connection is 2.5MB/250KB but in the past few days I was only able to squeeze 10-20KB from utorrent. also I can only connect to a low number of seeders/leechers, even if there are hundreds available, something like 15 s/l.

I couldn't complete Glasnost test, always getting "The connection to the measurement server timed out" error msg.

Very frustrating =/

any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

hi all just signed up to forum to ask for help with 1.83 beta u torrent speed problem switched from azurus to u need good port choice and how to add port ,please downloading four torrents around 21gb in all on 3 mb connection with eircom ,can anyone give me best ports please and up and down speeds to set thanks ,nashi

Archived