ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

If you are on a dialup, this software is NOT for you. I never said it works for everyone. But I can tell you it works for COMCAST. I use it.

It is very clear in the messages provided, it is for ISPs that shut you off. If your connection is slowed down, try right clicking on the icon and resetting your MAC address. "Use the program in manual mode" If it does not fix your problem then your ISP is throttling your connection NOT your machine.

Some people don't appreciate anything you do for them.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I am having a problem connecting to a decent number of peers and seeders. it is almost impossible for me to connect to a seeder and the only thing I get connect to it a small number of peers. with µTorrent client, i always get disconnected to the net. My µTorrent is always yellow and it takes ages to download or seed small files with a HUGE number of peers and seeders (6 mb for example) and that because the torrent doesn't use my maximum speed. With all theses problems, the torrent only works with me in a SPECIFIC TIME in the day! Only for some hours and NOWAY it is going to work at the rest of the day. It have been months and I used different clients (BitTorrent, Azureus, ABC), I read all the FAQ, examined all the possibilities, called my ISP and they have assured me that they are NOT blocking P2P programs. I don't trust them really so I tried randomizing my port but no luck. One thing I am sure of, I DON'T have a firewall problem and the port I am using is forwarded probably.

I am using a satellite connection (Saudi Arabia, Orbit SatNet Service, max download speed 256 kbps but I swear I'll change it to 1024 if my torrent will really work T_T) the problem is that I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG! According to the FAQ, my setting seems just fine! I ran out of ideas long time ago T_T

I chose to post here because I rally DON'T trust my ISP and I believe that they have something to do with my problem. Does anyone know anything about this ISP? Is there anyone with the same ISP as mine? If there is, would you mind helping me T_T or at least identify the problem for me T_T It is almost impossible for me to find someone around me to help. Please! Please!

since this isn't the help section, please contact me on snaaakeheart@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Netherlady - I'm kind of new to bittorrent myself and am having the same problems with not connecting to seeders and only a few peers. I'm not sure about the rest of the stuff BUT - if youre max D/L speed is 256kbps, that means your max speed in Bytes is 32kB/s (average, minus overhead and other bandwidth usage). When you download what is the max you've downloaded at?

Also - if youre having trouble downloading at certian times of the day it could just be that internet traffic is up (ie - around 6pm when everyone gets home from work/school/whatever and is surfing).

Hi, everybody! i'm a newbie in this torrent thing, there are good things around here, just like the movies... For start, i'm a expat in qatar with one ISP only, running utorrent in the office at 608kbps/3-2 accessing the internet at times/Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem/winproxy as our internet sharing software/network is in green, i assume everything is OK. The main problem is speed which only tops at 31kB/s and at time downgrades to 5kB/s. I've every little trick to tweak utorrent but no improvement so far.

System Config: P4 3.0

512MB RAM

80GB HD.

Really appreciate suggestions and recommendation from all of you! :(

Woah! i think it actually works! I signed up... my uploads are staying constantly between 16 and 17 kB/s and my DL's are alot faster... not as fast as they could be... but im talking 40kB/s vs 1.7kB/sec! Thanks for the awsome idea/advice!

Add clearwire to the list of isps that throttle bittorrent traffic!

blacknightx,

That's correct my max speed with direct downloads is 32kB/s but with torrent the average speed is 2kB/s sometimes it get to 7kB/s to 15kB/s but that will be my lucky day although it once hit 25kB/s. I am starting to think that my speed problem has something to do with me not connecting to enough seeds and peers ( for instant, my torrent has 162 peers and 9 seeds but I only get connected to 25 peers and 2 seeds and that is the best that it can get.) I've noticed that the more peers and seeds I get connect to the more speed I reach. Anyway, what prevent me from connecting to enough seeds and peers? What is the average peers and seeds for good torrent?

Thanx for the replay :)

I think AOL Dial-up may interfere. It sometimes stops downloading after about an hour. It is slower than my download max on that speed test, and I guess AOL sucks in the first place. Anyone here with AOL having the same probs as me? (download stops after a while, slower than supposed to be, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am from Gold Coast Australia. I have Broadband Internet Connection with a download speed of 512kb/s, and upload of 128kb/s. I have tested by internet connection several times with the service provider (Optus) and speed seems to be fine.

I have tried downloading various shows via uTorrent and it either starts at a speed of .5kb/s and stays there and eventually stops downloading, or starts at a speed of 30-40kb/s then slows after a while to around .5kb/s and eventually stops. Can someone please assist with what steps I can take to find out the cause of this problem. It doesn't appear to be any particular download, as I have tried several, some have only been around .5 of a gig, and it just won't download. I have only been using uTorrent for 1 week but been unable to successfully download anything.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

hi new zealand here telecom throttles on most plans if you want to fileshare you gotta pay more like GO PRO Plan $80 per month for 15 Gb in saying that am still trying to get my speed back been 6 weeks now still no success they will block the default port for all P2P and filesharing sites they have them all listed

Hi Ben, I'm in Oz too, with the other mongrel; & also pretty new to this. I think your problem may be your settings, or the lack of peers/seeders.

Try the above recommendation to download a well-supported file to test the speed. If the same thing happens, then you know it's your settings or other system problem. (Maybe even your modem or firewall) Avast seems to be a good firewall, and it's free. You can check the FAQ for problem modems also, but I think it's just particular files may cause it.

Elsewhere on this site you can find help on which settings you should use. Also try the Help forum for more detailed help.

PS Could you tell me what kind of deal you're on, and is there a contract?

I'm from Malaysia and my (bad) ISP, TMNet (aka TMNutz), has been throttling my torrents (with forced encryption) to death. Besides the quake caused disruptions (to US, Taiwan, China & Japan), I'm still getting like 0KB/s most of the time from international links, even those from nearby Singapore, Thailand, and even Europe! Time to rethink for a better (or alternate) protocol encryption or obfuscation/obscuring. :(

I'm quite surprised as it seems that Freedom2Surf have JUST started limiting what P2P users can do with their bandwidth. I've gone from being able to download a 5gig file, to now barely being able to downloaded a 100mb file which now takes about four hours to do. When I say JUST, this has only started happening in the last 5 days or so, having gone from 40kbps (which still seems minimal given I'm on an 8mb connection) to a mere 6-10kbps.

A guy I know who is a solicitor (lawyer) claims that ISP's that interfere in your service without notification are doing so illegally. I spoke to another ISP on Friday, who said that any issues they have with your downloading habits will be communicated through email / letter on a three strike basis. Trouble is, I'm not quite sure how you approach an ISP that's doing something illegal when they might argue that P2Ping isn't exactly legitimate ;)

Interesting article this though.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Rogers has started throttling secureix connections too; not just BT but even browsing speeds drop. I suspect they are throttling PPTP connections that secureix uses. Dont believe me? people using secureix: Test your speeds at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest with and without secureix connection. You'll see the difference (Use the same server location in the test for reliable results).

Anyone know of services like secureix that use IPSec VPN instead of PPTP? I dont think Rogers would throttle IPSec.

I'm from Cyprus and my ISP CYTANET has just started throttling torrent clients and from what i hear all the ISPs in Cyprus started doing it like LogosNet and SpiderNet.I use the newest version of uTorrent and the PE isn't working, but when i use the newest Azureus it works(with the same torrent).Isn't supposed PE to be a joint effort with Azureus's staff?Why isn't it working with uTorrent?Oh and could someone explain to me in a simple manner that VPN stuff?

The vpn actually works for me. I'm from Portugal. My cable ISP is also applying traffic shaping/QoS (call it what you want). I think that the problem is the way the tracker connection is done (unencrypted, plain http). So, if we can avoid our ISP gateway, the ISP can not "see" the connection between our pc and tracker. This means that they can't see the ip list that tracker sends to us. They can't identify the IPs. When a connection is done to a ip that is seeding/downloading a torrent the ISP thinks it's a normal connection, not bittorrent. So the connection goes on without being throttled.

Let me show you the how i do it:

1 - Connect to the VPN (we just need it to connect to the tracker and receive the peers list)

when connected to the VPN, our predefined gateway is the vpn gateway. This means the communications between your PCs and the tracker is done through the vpn. The ISP can't see. They can't "blacklist" those ips given by the tracker.

2-In utorrent, Options | Preferences | net.outgoing_ip: put your IP, assigned by your ISP (if behind a router, i think that you must put your static/dhcp assigned internal ip address)

This forces the peers connections to be made through your ISP and prevents them to be reseted when you disconnect the vpn.

3-utorrent, Options | Preferences | BitTorrent | IP/Hostname to report to tracker: also put here your IP assigned by your ISP.

4-Start your torrent. You'll be limited by the vpn bandwidth. Don't worry.

5-Disconnect from vpn. Now your default gateway is your ISP gateway. You can use your bandwidth.

Hope this helps someone (if your isp is applying traffic shaping/QoS the way my isp does)

sorry for my english

Thanks for the info bino.I don't have a static IP.My IP changes every time i connect to the internet( USB ADSL- i know very lame).Is this going to make any difference?And is this VPN a software?I google it and the only thing i found was about how it works etc.And if it's a software which one is the best or more efficient?

Hi MrGoochi,

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It can be implemented using PPTP or IPsec protocols. Windows XP has native support for both. There's no need to use other software (if using one of these protocols).

For a more complete explanation, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

If this works for you (or someone else), please let me know.

My IP changes every time i connect to the internet( USB ADSL- i know very lame).Is this going to make any difference?

Doesn't make any difference.

Archived