ISPs that throttle/interfere with BitTorrent

Firon

Aight Well I'm On RogersCable. 6000, Down 800up. And well there Monitoring Packets Threw Torrents. Rogers seems to know the incription. I'm Curious buy why is Utorrnt not just Changeing the Protocol Encryption More often .Then Isp's cant stop u .I hate to say this but more isp's will will start doing this So unless utorrent Fixs this problem you all might as well say Utorrent and other sites are as good Finished. im getting 30 kbps .When they didint cap it i was getting 800 kbps a sec.. its a Damn shame i loved torrents but ive searched and researched everything ... I download every where else at like 900kbps a sec on say download.com but torrents are sucking ...Hope some one comes up with something...i think we need some hackers on this site. I pay good money for Rogers.And there screwing with us now.I dont blame hackers they need to hack more if it was not for them everything would cost money.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, here's whats happened and the steps I've taken.

I am with Pipex and currently have about 6 or 7 months left to run on my contract. What they have done to me over the last 2 days is just reduce my usable bandwidth to 0.5Mb. I have been on the phone to them this morning (their customer service has improved as I get to technical support straight away). They told me to do 6 line tests at half hour intervals through BT. I did these tests and they told me my line was restricted due to the fact I was downloading too much. I told them the following:

1) I am an IT engineer and the only reason I signed up to your contract and not anybody elses was because on your adverts it says in big bold writing 8MB UNLIMITED USAGE!! I told them I am constantly using the connection for remote access as well as transfer of files etc

2) I told them that if they didn't want people to use 8 MB all the time then they shouldn't offer it and accept money for it

3) I said this is a blatent watchdog matter and I am not going to read 8 pages of small print. As far as I am concerned I should get what is advertised if I pay for it!

4) They said I would be monitored for the following 2 weeks and if I stopped downloading so much then they would put my bandwidth back up. i told them that as far as I was concerned they were treating me like a child and I asked if there was any way of them giving me a MAC number without me having to pay the remainder of my contract and they said no problem!!! RESULT!!!!

If everyone does this we should really piss them off!! come on guys!!

Anyone got suggestions of the best one to migrate? I heard AOL have absolutely no restrictions whatsoever. Is this true? If so, whats the catch?

Damn, I wish I woulda knew about Dos Dragon a few weeks ago. Comcast cut my upload speeds exactly in half (they did do better than RCN, they cut me off completely a few years ago). I just switched back to RCN. I dont think they throttle anymore, but I still use the 9000's port just in case.

I think all your situations were different to mine. You see they cut MY WHIOLE SPEED to half a meg! Ie. even web browsing. With you guys its just your p2p speeds that are being affected. I think that is complete breach of contract as I asked them at the bgining if there was a fair usage policy attached to my contract and they said no.....thats probably why they just shut up and gave me a mac number!

Nk33 !!!

Make sure you dont have any spy where or trojans or virus's on your pc that can slow down your internet speed as well as your pc speed.Find out how many processes you are running. if you running more then 40 thats probably a good time to shut down certain programs and run a virus scan. www.kaspersky.com is great If u need keys let me know..Another good way to find out if ur infect with trojans check your msconfig and see what apps startup on startup and see if u see anything thats looks odd.alot of trojans run on startup.. it also depends on your netspeed. find out what isp ur with and find out up down /up speed if its slow call them and tell them to check the line you may have Cracks in the line or a bad tap. or even a mad modem or cat5 cable look into it i would

I noticed i malaysia (stupid tmnet), removing the resolve IP seems to improve speed. but whats the function? also you try using ports higher than 60000. I found a forum, the guy said limiting global no of connections to 150 and peers connected to 50 doubled his speed. he also disabled his DHT. but i find this nonsense. it became slower.

Well I have been with aol for 2 weeks now (after migrating from pipex) and have had no drop-outs, I am getting much better speeds on public torrents as well! Connections is lovely! streaming media flows well, especially live football & basketball matches (check www.myp2p.eu )

i really need some help guys i to am with pipex and have only been with them for 2 weeks but they have throttled my downloading from torrent sites already to 30kb which is ridiculous saying im paying 25£ a month for the use of unlimited 8meg. I have rang customer services and they say its in there fair usage rules and thats why they can do this i tried to cancel and they said that it wood cost over 300£ to terminate the contract, if anyone has any info that can help me email me or post me back in the forum as i wood so much appreciate it

I threatened to go watchdog as they are using false advertising to sell their product. How can they advertise unlimited when it clearly isn't? It's like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet, eating 2 slices of lamb, then they chuck you out....or limit your supply!

...well it got me a mac code at no charge.

am going to have to try something like that nk33 it really is frustrating and the ppl i spoke to on the phone are holding there ground i think an offical complaint in an email with something like that in it might be better than ringing the phone help ppl but they might turn round and say what im doing is illegal

• 4 weeks later...

Guys British Telecoms BT is started throttling the torrent trafficking connection. they started one week ago on my line.

My speed:

12midnight - 12afternoon = 734kbyte d/l 50kbyte u/l

12afternoon - 12midnight = 12kbyte d/l 22kbyte upload

:angry::angry: :sad:

Someone need to do something fast like new encryption or new protocols.

I tried many work around like secureIx and vpn methods, NON helped.

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering if anyone else is using xplorenet high speed satalite service. i am having a hard time getting any dling done. always have a yellow triangle. i have tried portforwarding . doesnt seem to help.

i am running xp sp2...no firewall on puter or router... just bought a new wrt300N firmwarev1.03.6 wireless router...any help or info would be appriciated.

ps...i cant switch to a differant high speed isp because there is none that is in my area. my only other option is dial up ( never going there again) lol

Archived