I'm trying, Switech!

macer8

I'm trying to follow your instructions in order to speed up my download, but I can't seem to do anything about "Resolve IP" because my Peers window is BLANK.

For that matter, so are my General, Pieces, and Files windows -- the only ones that contain anything are Speed and Logger.

Any suggestions?

BTW -- disabling what you recommended and setting the bandwidth as you recommended raised my DL speed from the 20s to the 30s. Thanks!

I guess BellSouth ISP is a low-end ADSL service?

You have 256 kilobits/second download max? If so, you're already reaching max download speed for your connection.

Disabling Resolve IPs requires clicking on an active torrent's PEERS window. I really wish Resolve IPs was also set somewhere else in uTorrent's settings pages. :(

BellSouth is the "child" of AT&T that serves the southern US. They offer four levels of domestic DSL: 6M/512K, 3M/384K, 1.5M/256, and 768K/128K. I have the 3M version and usually attain 2.8M downloads.

I've been attempting to DL a 5G torrent: at 24 hours, it's currently at 44%. What I don't understand is why I'm UPLOADING at such a furious rate -- I thought one didn't seed until the entire torrent was DLed. I've DLed 2.4G, but ULed 3.5G. Am I misinterpreting this information?

You can and usually do start uploading as soon as uTorrent completes and hash checks a whole piece of the torrent. Pieces are typically 128 KB, 256 KB, 512 KB, 1024 KB, 2048 KB, or 4096 KB...with 4096 KB (4 MB) being most common for VERY large torrents.

Are You using the 384 kilobits/second upload settings from uTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) or from the 2nd link in my signature?

Upload (from CTRL-G) is 186.

So, even though the torrent has not completely downloaded to my system, others are already uploading it? At 26 hours, it's just now reached the 50% mark...

My DL speed is ranging between 18K and 39K, while the UL speed is a fairly constant 46K.

You told uTorrent to upload 4 TIMES faster than your connection is capable of! :P

Try using the 384 kilobits/second upload settings from the 2nd link in my signature.

You may even be able to use a slightly higher upload speed...but as you near 46 KiloBYTES/second upload speed in uTorrent, your download speed WILL drop.

Please explain fully -- I do not understand your logic.

If my DSL connection offers an UL speed of 384K, how is 186K four times faster?

Why would setting the UL speed at 384K be better?

I don't understand WHY my UL speed is faster than my DL speed -- I really don't CARE how fast my UL speed is, especially when it's taking THREE DAYS to download one torrent...

kbit vs KByte . . . As kurahashi's profile says http://forum.utorrent.com/profile.php?id=1282 one Byte is 8 bits.

Don't overload your upload, and your download should come in as fast as possible. If you can't download http://slackware.com/torrents/ as fast as possible, you either have ISP problems you need to address or don't fully understand the speed of your line.

I just KNEW I wasn't getting all the information I needed! Thank you!

I've experimented with several of the UL options in (CTRL-G) and found that 256 triples my DL speed! Where it was in the 20's, it's now in the 60's -- and my UL speed is constant -- not spikes or valleys. Set at 384, both the DL and UL were spiking and valleying all over the place!

If you were managing a "fairly constant 46K" upload speed, I'd think you'd see at least a little improvement over the 256 kilobits/second setting by increasing the upload speed a little higher.

Try adjusting it upwards 2 KiloBYTES/second at a time and letting it run for at least a minute at the new speeds.

You may find a higher sustained download speed that way.

How many connections per torrent are you allowing? (Too few=lower download speed, Too many = lower download speed AND lower upload speed!)

You may want to put alternate upload speed while not downloading (seeding only) considerably higher than your normal upload speed...potentially as high as 46 KiloBYTES/second, though I recommend only trying 40 KiloBYTES/second at first.

It's set at 70 connections/torrent, as installed. I haven't adjusted it. Any recommendations?

I do not know how to adjust the speed -- using CTRL-G, I simply selected from the list until I found a speed that gave me a higher DL rate.

I'd still like to know why I'm uploading when the torrent isn't completely downloaded...

I found your response in another part of the forum that explained about uploading. You didn't respond to my question above -- you passed judgement on what you thought I meant by it.

Nowhere in the help files could I find ANYTHING stating that you upload as soon as you start downloading -- all the references are about SEEDING, and they clearly state that you don't seed until you've completely downloaded. I have no intention of leeching -- I just didn't understand WHY I was uploading!

And now I do.

Oh, and in version 1.7.7 there is no 'Bandwidth" tab -- it's under "Connection".

I'm taking your advice and raising the limit by 2.

Please don't take that comment personally, it's mostly for the other readers of the post. :P

We get a few "how do I download without uploading" posts, so any post that even seems vaguely like that...I reply strongly about how BitTorrent works.

Once your download speed is consistently faster than your upload speed...you are already "winning", someone else is getting screwed over by the reverse. Maybe they are doing it willingly as a seed...or maybe like you they had bad settings which crippled download speeds -- such as unlimited upload speed can do!

If your connections per torrent is already set to 70, there's going to be little gain raising it...and even my speed guide suggestions are at least 30. So anything between 30 and 70 are probably "good enough" and it's impossible to say what's the best without knowing more about the torrent you're on. A torrent with mostly distant peers and seeds...will be slow per peer/seed, so you might want more just to reach 2x your upload speed. A torrent that is local to your area probably doesn't need as many, in fact there may not be 30 peers/seeds total to draw from!

Bleh, I've been using v1.8 for too long. I won't go back to v1.7.7 unless forced!

Thanks -- I understand. I fully intend to let it run WIDE open when I'm seeding but, right now, I just want to download the friggin' thing as quickly as possible! The torrent I'm after is in Europe and I'm in the US -- at any given moment there seem to be about 10 people seeding it.

Seeds reads "0 (61)"

This was my very first torrent -- couldn't you guess from all the questions? I don't have any others! Could you tell me why, even though I'm only seeding, there's a Download speed registering on the meter? What's downloading?

Oh, and I tried to set an upload limit, but the speed is registering as higher than the limit I set.

That means the tracker has "seen" 61 seeds on that torrent...though probably only about 20 may still be on there now. (Its info is old, in 1 hour's time probably 5-25% of the seeds leave.) Still plenty of seeds for other peers to download from!

Even while seeding, the download speed is above 0 because communication requires some 2-way bandwidth. Just staying connected to an otherwise idle peer or seed takes bandwidth, both down and up. :( In short, the download speeds you're seeing are from TCP/IP overheads and BitTorrent protocol traffic.

DHT support in uTorrent costs some bandwidth that may not be counted towards your download and upload speed max limits. Even connecting to LOTS of peers+seeds at once may push the amount you're using over set max. A high half open outgoing connection rate (anything above 8) can have a noticeable effect on upload and download speeds while seeding.

There's no free lunch, almost everything costs...and eats...bandwidth. :P

Archived