How does upload limiting work? Weird behavior..

Ok so I have bunch of torrents with no upload speed limit and a few where I set 1kB/s.

For browsing reasons I also limited global upload speed to 58kB/s. From what I saw, maximum is slightly over 60.

What I noticed a while ago:

With the global limit set, there's some 25ish kB/s upload flow going on.

When I cancel the limit completely, it jumps to about 40kB/s and after little time even higher.

What gives?

edit

I must add that the jump in speed is surprising, because the cap wasn't hit at all, so I see no reason for it when it's cancelled.

Let me see.

65-66kB/s

edit

I might even be a bug. When I set the UL limit to 400kB/s (! or something similarly ridiculously high), the speed raised to 55kB/s from "usual" 25

Uh, with all respect, did you guys read what I posted?

I wasn't talking about downloading AT ALL.

I am now pretty sure it is a bug in terms of two different kinds of limits for upload speed screwing each other.

Let me re-explain.

1) Several torrents.

2) Most with no individual upload speed limit and few with limit of 1kB/s.

3) With GLOBAL upload limit set (and it's below maximum), the total upload speed of all torrents is about 25kB/s

4) The moment global limit is cancelled, global upload speed jumps to some 55kB/s

I am trying to find out what's wrong. My bet would be as 4th line of this post. But I got no way to prove it. It just doesn't look normal as it is.

edit:

Just tested having only one group of torrents (with/w.o limit) active and setting global limit on/off. Guess. No speed jumps.

Bandwidth travels in PACKETS.

You're seeing the networking equivalent of WATER HAMMER on pipes.

There seems to be nothing wrong from what I know.

...except maybe you've got too few upload slots per torrent to manage to reach your set upload speed.

And your real, sustainable upload speed isn't quite the peaks you've seen.

It might be 62 KiloBYTES/second for FTP, but BitTorrent has more overheads...so at best I'd expect only 60 KiloBYTES/second.

I don't think so. With no torrents individually limited there's no problem having stable 60-62kB/s upload. Set it and boom, down to 25. Mind you, the individually limited ones are only ten out of 60 total.

I usually have two upload slots per torrent and always did just fine. But I tried to make it ten to see what'd happen. Nothing. 28-30kB/s out. Let's flip the global limit now... Ohh! 55+.

Turn on DEBUG in the torrent window at top. It should show 3 numbers separated by "|" like so: 0|0|2

The 1st number is the current number of half open connections that torrent is attempting. Usually mine are 0.

I don't know what the 2nd number is for, but for me it's usually 0.

The LAST number is the highest upload slots per torrent that uTorrent will allow with the current settings.

Even when you set the global upload limit to 60 KiloBYTES/second, that last number is almost certainly 1.

When there's only 1 upload slot on a torrent, it's probably the Optimistic Unchoke Upload Slot which can be VERY erratic and often slow. Part of the time, some of the torrents won't even be uploading at all EVEN if you are connected to many peers on those torrents.

First sentence of this post:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=272525#p272525

Yes it shows 1 for all active torrents. But I still don't understand what it means for me too much...

Btw I manually decreased the upload slots on the limited torrents to one (default still being two) and the global speed increased some.

A while ago I found this though: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=10638 notably reply #9

What is this optimistic unchoke slot? Never ever did I hear about that.

Gotta run now, but will do some more testing later.

edit:

Ultima, it's 1.7.7

Optimistic Unchoke is also done so new peers will get something to share with others.

octopuss,

You're running too many torrents at once...by about a magnitude.

uTorrent's performance, as you've noticed, suffers dramatically...and in rather unusual ways...because of it.

The web link you posted is to a very ancient bug I found...pre v1.6 in fact!

Some of the behavior still exists, namely a lot of the time the optimistic unchoke upload slot isn't active...meaning upload slots being used are often effectively 1 less than you set them to. Back then, there was a bug where upload slots used were ALWAYS 1 less than set.

I understand that, but it still doesn't make sense because I NEVER had a problem with upload speed until now. And I have been having 50+ active torrents for past few months! This only started with the ~ten new ones where I set individual limits. Totally weird, really :(

I guess all I can do is say "it's normal" then...

You've got another problem too...my guess is your ISP started crippling BitTorrent traffic that it could identify just recently. It's not too effective yet, but it will probably get worse.

Try reducing the active torrents to about 10 or less that need it the most and seeing if they can sustain a higher upload speed than ~25 KiloBYTES/second. Set upload slots to 3 each for them.

Try uTorrent v1.8 as well.

I am 101% sure there is no torrent traffic crippling at all. It is all about the manual change in global upload limit that causes weird behavior. Without adding individual torrent limitations there is NO problem getting full speed upload (download doesn't suffer in any case). I don't know how else to tell you guys :)

On top of that, I just stopped about 15 torrents from the seeding but not uploading list and total upload speed raised by about 5kB/s for a brief period of time. So there might be something about the amount of active torrents. But it's hard to tell on saturday morning :)

1.8 I am waiting for stable release.

Archived