Router Problems

millionman

I found out why my dl speeds were so low. I plugged my computer directly and I have blazing 2mb/s dl's but when its through my router it stays under 60kb/s and never goes over 60 kb/s. So its my router. I have a Linksys WRT54G V8 and I read the FAQ about these routers but it says that V5 and up have no problems any ideas?

I am also willing to buy a new one because I have 3 laptops that use wireless N so want to upgrade. If any one knows of a newer router thats works great and is reasonable in price (dont care if exprensive but if its worth it) then pls let me know.

Actually, it's V5 and up have problems. A WRT54GL is a good choice router. Or if you can check S/N's, a V4 WRT54G worked great for me (and without flashing). If only that thunderstorm and my family's folly didn't take it away...

So, can whatever your router connects to perform any NAT'ing? Have you selected a static IPa above 150 or below 100? Tested speeds (direct connect) with another computer? Things you can try on that router: go back to factory defaults and manually reconfigure the router (boosted my speed over wireless after a thunderstorm mucked with the router). Make sure the firmware is up to date. Disable the SPI firewall.

If you can activate NAT/Routing on what your router connects to, set the operating mode of the Linksys to router.

Archived