Build 389 causing problems with other apps accessing internet

dudeboyz

This problem has existed before but always has been corrected by a future build.

But it seems back, and worse than ever, on the 389 beta.

I start up Utorrent build 389 and it runs fine, but a few minutes later, other apps have trouble accessing the internet. I will be in IE 6, for instance, and pages load fine, but then in a few minutes, it is no longer able to load any pages.

If I close Utorrent, internet access starts working right away for other applications. But if I start Utorrent again, a few minutes later, I can no longer access the internet from those same apps.

Especially noticeble on my 98 SE test system.

I hope you are able to get it fixed.

I also use Win 98SE on at least 1 computer. (the leftover)

And µTorrent runs just fine on it for days on end.

However I limit max connections to about 60-90.

I know all too well that hugging close to or going over the 100 connection limit causes progressive problems...that go from unnoticeable, to weird, to what an impressive way to crash!

Did you reboot AFTER changing it?

Indeed I did, sir. :)

I also use Win 98SE on at least 1 computer. (the leftover)

And µTorrent runs just fine on it for days on end.

However I limit max connections to about 60-90.

I know all too well that hugging close to or going over the 100 connection limit causes progressive problems...that go from unnoticeable, to weird, to what an impressive way to crash!

I try to leave as much as possible on Default. I don't change much at all.

Same download set that does not work with 389 works just fine with 364, so I tend to think it is a code change issue.

No huge deal - I'm back up and running no sweat with 364 for now. I just hope they can fix it in newer builds is all.

/use edit, don't double post please

Well, the method for connecting to peers changed, it uses a round robin method, instead of a 50% chance of connecting to random number between 1 and 30 every second (8 if it net.max_halfopen was still at default). I don't think much else was changed... upload more aggressively? Did you cap your upload? :/

i have 384k upload and have set the cap to 30 in Utorrent. Same setting as I've had for quite some time.

Wish they gave us a check-box option so we could choose if we want round-robbin or the 50% method. The round-robbin breaks the thing, I guess. I may have to stick with 1.3 only, if this new method is permanent and the only option. :(

I start up Utorrent (build 389) and it runs fine, but a few minutes later, other apps have trouble accessing the internet.

I will be in IE 6, for instance, and pages load fine, but then in a few minutes, it is no longer able to load any pages.

If I close Utorrent, internet access starts working right away for other applications, but if I start Utorrent again, a few minutes later, I can no longer access the internet from those same apps.

Especially noticeble on my 98 SE test system.

Interesting...

I'm using uT 1.3 stable on an XP Home SP1 box, and have noticed that all browsers (IE 5.5 & FireFox 1.07) on another PC with 98SE (which shares my local network) have had a lot of 'Can't find the site or page' sort of errors lately, though I had not connected the two activities in my mind until now.

BTW, if I repeat the browser page request (sometimes needs several tries), I will eventually get the web page up.

I DO anyway limit both my overall up & down speeds in uT, well within my ISP's max, so this does not seem to be the issue.

Next I will repeat the browser tests on the XP unit where I have uT running, and post further comments later.

:)

Just so you know, I have used Norton Ghost to archive the old config and done a fresh install of Windows 98 SE and tried that registry tweak that you pointed to earlier for Win 9x on the new install I set it to 512 and this time it works with release 395. I am able to download 5-8 of the files and open up a tabbed browser group in Maxthon and it can load all the 10 or 15 pages now.

It took me a few hours to do a fresh install with Office and all, but it seems to have done the trick.

Just wanted to let you know.

I'll keep testing.

Archived