Pause = Slow

Vlad_Drac

From the Troubleshooting section of the FAQ:

Why does pause mode keep downloading or uploading?

It takes a short while for the download and upload to reach 0 (possibly several minutes), since µTorrent must send/receive all the queued pieces first. It does not drop the connections, so small bandwidth spikes may still be seen several minutes after because of BitTorrent protocol overhead.

After noticing that Pause didn't immediatelly pause, I thought maybe the current pieces would be completed before pausing, but, is it really what is happening?

I tried a little experiment, I paused a torrent at about 59% and watched it, after 3 hours and many new pieces later, it's now at 76.2% and still going, albeit very slowly. Infact, I just saw it start another new peice!

I then decided to check the FAQ.

Anyone else noticed this?

Maybe the FAQ could be changed to reflect this?

EDIT:

Another experiment, I stopped the torrent at 76.5% and closed uTorrent.

I then opened uTorrent and watched with the torrent stopped, mins passed with no traffic.

I then started the torrent and immediatelly clicked pause, maybe 1/4 a second max between clicking start and pause.

I checked the number of pieces, there were two.

I had another look some time later, the download is currently at 78.4% and there are 3 new peices(total 5).

Would probably reach 100% on Pause ;)

Are you running uTorrent v1.8?

DOH!

My bad, didn't even know about it 'till uTorrent prompted me to update to 1.8 this morning.

Was 1.7.7 yesterday.

1.8 doesn't appear to have this issue, pause works within seconds.

Pause does not request new pieces.

It would appear it did, you can't go from 59% to 78.4% of a 100+ Meg download by finishing the 5 or so 256kB peices that were active at time of pausing...

And, as already mentioned in the original post, I watched as new pieces started....

The clients you were "downloading" from were likely Transmission. You should pay attention to what clients are sending you data.

I do pay attention, thanks.

No, there was a mix of almost everything, as you noted - Transmission, but also uTorrent, bittorrent, Azureus, KTorrent, BitLord, Opera... you name it, all had traffic at one time or another.

Not that it matters much now anyway, as noted above, seems it was v1.7.7

Thanks for the replies.

Archived