Rename incomplete filenames (*.ut!)??

hendrix

the only way i could ever use this if u could use em both at the same time.. have an incomplete folder and the incomplete *.ut! extension.. then.. i could se a use for it! - hey, maybe this is a good idea! should i make a vote req on it? :)

edit: there already was a vote req made!

click here to vote YES: http://www.niteshdw.com/utorrent/index.php?a=vote&vote=yes&id=62

click here to vote NO: http://www.niteshdw.com/utorrent/index.php?a=vote&vote=no&id=62

One possible way to implement this would be to have the incomplete file keep the same extension but have a pre-extension which was indicative of completeness level. For example, say I want to download a file called "Johnny's In Town.avi"

When it's been 10% downloaded it could say:

Johnny's In Town.ut-10%.avi

then

Johnny's In Town.ut-20%.avi

and so on.

In terms of switching BT clients, a simple macro could be run to strip out the pre-extensions if they are no longer needed/wanted.

No way. This makes it as others mentioned harder to switch torrent clients. The existing methods (folders and files tab) are more than adequate.

And why do u need to switch between torrent clients anyway? The idea is to stick with one client suitable for your needs and likings, am i right?

The idea for extension will be a great thing to be implemented.. now i get confused all the time whether this or that movie is downloaded (cause all i see is .avi file in his original size) ... i don't care if it's optional or not.

thats not true... if im dwodnloading 1 file torrent i dont care (i use complete/incomplete folders), but when im dling 30files or more, i want to use downloaded files, but i cant recognize downloaded files and not downloaded files... (yea yea i know.. i can open utorrent and look which files are dled... but that just sux!).. so *.ut! extension is best solution for me (and a lot of other people....)

Voted Yes. I have batch scripts which extracts complete rar-collections automatically and deletes the rar-files. With bitcomet I just did so if I find any *.bc! in the directory I skip it. Else I unrar it to another drive (where I later burn from) and if it was successful unraring the script delete the rar-files so the "busy" drive will get space freed automatically.

Workaround (for me) would be a new feature of:

1) Using a "Execute <prog> when finished" option so I can add a bat-file like "<remove quotes from %1> echo.> "%1\finished!.txt" or

2) Have a temporary folder for every torrents not complete, and then move them to the directory I choose to save them in to start with.

*Edit1 to clearify, I have different directories for apps/movies/music etc so to just have 1 move-here-when-complete-directory like it is now is not a good solution for me (as previous posters in thread also has pointed out)

*Edit2 Actually, I guess I could just remake the scripts so it just searches the torrents\finished folder (where I have my .torrent-file moved when finished) and if the <foldername>.torrent is in there I know it's done and OK to extract. Actually if I had made this solution in the beginning it would've been easier ;).

*Edit3[4Oct05] I "take back" mine Edit2-comment. When using multi-directory-torrents (i.e. 1 .torrent containing many directories), then the .torrent-file won't be moved until all are finished I assume.

If I then download 1 or 3 directories at a time (to save some diskspace and to be certain I get 100% of 1 dir instead of 20% of 8, with e.g. prio low/normal/high), the script I made for Edit2 isn't working anymore for these so I still must emphasize that using extensions for files that isn't done is a very good solution for us who like to tell wether a complete directory that is part of a torent is finished or not...

Yes! And I think there is a good reason - make it easier to "migrate" incomplete files from other clients to uT . Say I have 20 incomplete files *.bc! and like to switch to uT - I just define uT extension to be the same - and wallah ... smiley20.gif

I think this would be pointless, but if it is incorporated then make it optional, because right know you can setup two folders and two subfolders and make it that put all torrents in one folder and then if done put it in a subfolder and you can do that samething with downloads.

And why do u need to switch between torrent clients anyway? The idea is to stick with one client suitable for your needs and likings, am i right?

I was happy with Azureus until I found µTorrent. Then, it was simple for me to resume my downloads in µT.

Just because right now I can't imagine something better than µT coming along, doesn't mean that there never will be.

I voted no for already above mentioned reasons

How can it be better to browse through files in one directory to check the file extensions

rather than knowing that one directory holds everything that's finished and another one holds everything that's incomplete

That's just not true.

There a directory for completed torrents, not for completed files. Sometimes you download a torrent with sixty or so files, (sbemails sticks out in my mind) and the seeder leaves. While you're waiting for the seeder to show up again, it's nice to know which files are completed, and which are still downloading. ".uc!" would be the perfect solution to this problem.

And, keep it optional. A global default with a torrent specific option makes the most sense all around. Worst case scenerio, you'll have two new unchecked boxes on two different options pages (if you don't want this feature.) You'll live.

yeah, why not admit it.. its good to have the dir thingie currently in use, but as HyToFry said, when downloading big things (complete series) and u put high prio on the first few so u can start watching early the renaming feature would be perfect. I know u could use the internal filebrowser, but its just not the same thing!!

btw, i may sound a bit flakey cause ive changed my mind a few times.. but hey.. thats the way it is! :) who know i may change it again soon! moaha

Archived