downloads 100% fragmented???

boncuk

Well, I bought a new hd last monday and did a clean install of xp. I always make one partition for xp of around 80 gb, and the second partition was about 400. I called this second partition m (as in media). IT's a ntfs 500gb disk.

I also got the newest utorrent, 1.8 and started to download some stuff. I did check drive c for defragmentation where windows is located and where I installed lot's of proggies since monday. But I didn't check drive m becoz as far as I know my downloads had never any fragmentation until now. But I felt more and more there was something wrong, so I did check just now and drive m was 100% fragmented. I didn't put anything on that drive except what I got with utorrent. What could have caused this change in behaviour? I am talking about 0% to 100% change, see pic here:

defrag2jv3.jpg

defrag2jv3.aa6e8fd96b.jpg

Until last week I had always a full blue bar at the top after using utorrent and now suddenly a full red one. Anything I can do about this? I want it to be defragged as it was before, even if it means worse speeds or something. Any ideas?

Apart from a new hd, I also have a intel quadcore q9450 and new mobo, I first had amd 4200+.

Well, one of the first things I always did was to tell utorrent to preallocate all files. But now I found out that as of v 1.8 utorrent has sparse files on as default in advance settings. Sparse files on overrules preallocation, so I have turned off the sparse files (set it to false in advanced settings). I have preallocation on, I think it was always like this before v 1.8 so I hope this will solve my problem, otherwise I'm gonna switch back to an older version.

I noticed this too. When I downloaded 1.8 and started some new torrents, I found out that the size of the downloading file is say 1GB, but the "size on disk" is 4MB in the beginning of the download.

I have preallocate checked and sparse_files true as default. Is that how its supposed to work? And if yes how to make the "Size on disk" as big as the files size right from the start?

Archived