Port forwarding, speed dramatically drops.

MaxKohler

My router: WRT54G v8 - Firmware version: 8.00.5

My internet speed:

When connected directly to the modem:

308822218.png

When connected through my router:

308829997.png

5615.png

Regular downloads go up to 2 to 3 mB/s, but it depends on the website I'm downloading from. Shouldn't my utorrent dl speeds go over 1000kB/s?

In utorrent my download speeds go up to 400kB/s and the port checker from the speed guide says my port is open, then my speeds drop to < 40kB/s and the port checker says my port is closed.... other port checkers on other websites always say it's open. The port isn't changing.

I've forwarded the port correctly, I've been downloading torrents for years and this problem just recently started happening. I unpluged the router and connected directly to my modem and naturally it said the port was open, but the total download speed was still around 40kB/s.

I tried enabling encryption.

Unchecked port mapping options in utorrent.

Tried a number of different ports.

Lowered Global maximum number of connections from 850 to 200.

Tried unchecking the DHT options.

Updated router firmware from 8.00.2 to 8.00.5

Reset router to factory defaults.

Unplugged Motorola modem for a few minutes and plugged back in.

Restarted my computer numerous times (duh).

All advanced settings are default.

peer.lazy_bitfield true

net.max_halfopen 8

Network status: green.

Even though this Glasnost test says it's my upload speeds that are being throttled, the upload speeds seem the least effected if at all. Most of the time I'm uploading faster then I'm downloading....

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* 2 out of 2 BitTorrent transfers were interrupted while uploading (seeding) using forged TCP RST

packets. It seems like your ISP hinders you from uploading BitTorrent traffic to our test server.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 939 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 1079 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

* 2 out of 2 BitTorrent transfers were interrupted while uploading (seeding) using forged TCP RST packets. It seems like your ISP hinders you from uploading BitTorrent traffic to our test server.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 1021 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 1263 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 939 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 1021 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 755 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 760 Kbps. You can find details here.

Ok, I unplugged the router for a few hours and ran through the modem, now I've hooked my router back up but I'm downloading at 30-40k and uploading at 70-80....

Max download speed reached was 55, max upload speed reached was 142...

Availability for the two torrents I'm downloading are 32.9 and 29.9 if that matters :|

I've checked the port 3 times and it's been open every time so that's good, but still really slow download speeds.

Edit: after 10 or 15 minutes I think the speeds jumped up, then dropped back down again.

adrpgsmzdh.thumb500.jpg

lujfwzithf.thumb500.jpg

Could this have anything to do with installing ipv6/teredo and checking/unchecking it in the local area connection properties?

I see... it should probably be more descriptive then instead of saying "connection type" it should say "upload speed". It makes sense now that you've said that I see the format, download/upload xx/2mbit.

That seemed to help at first because my upload speed shot straight up to nearly 200k but it came back down quickly to the same ol 30/80.

I was reading another thread on this forum about some per-torrent speed limit, well I have 8 torrents total, with 2 downloading, 6 complete, but only 3 of the complete ones are seeding (by their own choice, I'm not limiting anything). Because 3 torrents aren't seeding at all would that be affecting my download speed?

"The following note does NOT apply to WRT54G/GS v5 and up!"

My router is WRT54G v8 - still change the firmware? Will this void the manufacturers warranty if I try to send it in to Linksys for RMA or something?

Oh, also will this different firmware conflict with Linksys Easylink Advisor? Because this software is required to set up the router.

"How To Flash the WRT54G v8 Using v24 Final

Configure your computer's local lan ethernet address to 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1 . Then connect an Ethernet cable to your computer and port 1 of your WRT54Gv8 router (Do Not Use Wireless). "

Do you do this in local area connection properties -> internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties -> then choose "use the following ip address" in the "general" tab?

GTHK do you have the same router (WRT54G v8)? Do you think it's worth it to change my firmware? Because it's not my router causing this problem anyways, because it's doing the exact same thing connected directly to my modem.

This is what it looks like running for a while straight to my modem:

http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/m/MaxKohler/116835/ewytkizown.jpg

I used to have a v4, that was the best of this model, I loved it till lightning fried the NIC, router, and modem (mothers computer, wasn't protected properly). I now have a v6, which is about as bad as the v8 specification wise. The updated firmware makes a big difference, otherwise it crashes really easy.

Now lightning seems to have mucked this one up a bit, changing the ACK timing from 2000 meters to 200 seems to have fixed things for now..

Well I'm not even going to bother with the router since it doesn't seem like I'm having any trouble with it.

I downloaded a torrent from openoffice and it would go up and down between 100 to 350 kB/s. Obviously a lot better then the other two torrents I'm trying to download which were averaging around 10kB/s.

The slackware linux torrent constantly goes up and down between 60 and 160. And as I type this it's gone down to 20-30.

The ubuntu one goes between 160 and 230. Is that a normal download?

MaxKohler,

I looked at your pictures and best I can tell your ISP is effectively limiting you to about 60 KiloBYTES/second usable upload speed in uTorrent. You occasionally get burst speeds higher than that, but not sustained for very long.

Sadly, this means it probably won't do much good to set upload speed higher than 60. :(

Try the 640 kilobits/second upload speed settings in the 2nd link in my signature.

Is uTorrent's half open connection limit still set to the default of 8?

(If so, try reducing it to 1-4 for testing...)

BTW, if you save your screenshots as PNG files they'll probably be smaller than they are as JPG and much clearer. (PNG is an exact duplicate...JPG is typically fuzzy.)

Archived