Permanent UI changes = Teh retarded

Audiovore

Its why IE 7 sucks a billion times more than Firefox. I don't give a damn about security. Firefox could be hacked in 5s by a 5yr old and IE 7 could be as secure as Ft Knox, I still wouldn't use it. Cause they took away usability. As in the back, foreword, address bar, and search bar becoming static.

Now in 1.8 the RSS button moves, which is considerably frustrating, but something I could get over. But the fact that there is no god damn release tab anymore? Unacceptable. I spent an hour trying to see if it was there, hidden by some inane programmers concept of logic, to no avail. And if does happen to be there in some check box, that is also, unacceptable.

I have gone back to 1.7.7 and will remain so until this is resolved.

The point was that integration of the listviews would make RSS easier to use. RSS feeds may be looked at constantly, in which case always going into the RSS Downloader dialog just to see the recent releases is a pain. The rest of the tabs (History, Favorites) should rarely need to be touched, so tucking them away in a configuration dialog continues to make sense.

To be able to actually read the labels it takes up a sizable chunk of real estate for me, about 1". I'm a minimalist, I also turn off most of the columns that are on by default also. I also just don't find it that useful, if I wanted to see inactive, downloading, ect.. I would just look, or column sort by status.

Now in 1.8 the RSS button moves, which is considerably frustrating, but something I could get over.

I am a bit saddened by that particular change, since it separates the three matching "add torrent" icons I had used in Camino Amsterdam (see below) :/ Oh well.

330.png

It's a bigger pity that the program won't load un-updated skins anymore. Most of the status skins I like haven't been updated, and I would've preferred some blank icons over not being able to use them at all. (Yes, I could edit the canvas sizes myself, but what was wrong with the old program behavior?)

As mentioned Options->RSS Downloader has all the rss options (still).

Also, if you don't like the tall category list you can even return it to its old size by setting gui.tall_category_list to false in advanced options - although if you do use RSS feeds a lot would seem to be better to keep it tall :).

I want it short but then the feeds will retard the display :(

/me Hates scroll bars.

With the exception of one feed I check bi-weekly to monthly (µT parsing bug prevents broadcatching), I use RSS in a set it and forget it action, so the integration isn't really important to me. It's usable, but not preferred.

Hi,

I just upgraded to 1.8 and was sad to see this UI change.

I have always liked uTorrent and the layout of the UI, until now.

It is simple, minimalistic and with a seriously low impact on my screen real estate.

As Audiovore I don't care much for lists of "Active/Inactive" torrents, I have only one

main window with a history list of torrents open. I use the sort by column to monitor what is/what has happened.

When I use RSS I *used* to flip between all the RSS related tabs.

Since 1.8 I have to switch on a status list (less available screen real estate aka torrent info, which is why I deactivated it in the first place)

The earlier version made it available to use my mouse scroll wheel to quickly browse the latest releases in the RSS feeds, add something as a favorite if I wanted to, then resume browsing the rest of the feeds.

Now a click is needed to change RSS feed each time, and if I add something as a favorite I have to open a new menu.

All in all: I appreciate all of the hard work made by a lot of people. And I also know that most of the time feedback is wanted. I hope this is one of those times :-)

Keep up the good work, and if at all humanly possible, please make the RSS UI change optional.

Cheers,

R

While you guys ponder this, I think I will stick with the version prior to 1.8, no hard feelings though, this just happens to be more important to me personally than having the latest version.

isn't "adding to favorite " just control-r OR by right-click the release in the feeds-list OR right-click on the favorite list ?

I also objected first, but got used to it, and it's not so bad... They will improve on this UI, and your comments will surely be considered. In 'your' case - re-activating the RSS button for accessing favorites OR always visible favorites' tab/pane can do the trick...

Just a wild idea - moving the RSS feeds list (and future favorites' list...) to a new tab at the bottom ? to real estate wasted that way ... maybe even as a use GUI-option ? it will be nice if the user can adjust his GUI on the fly...

Sure, adding a favorite is just a click away (no issues with the actual "adding" it self).

It is what happens just prior to this (like browsing what to add, from all feeds quickly by simply scrolling feeds using the mouse wheel).

After a favorite is added I usually customize the settings for it, this is where I really liked the old layout, just a tab away from both the browsing and the adding.

On the other hand, RSS is why I choose uTorrent in the first place (outstanding handling of filters and matching like no other)

RSS related stuff basically covers all the *.torrent stuff I do, and having all RSS related functionality in a single place is something I find extremely useful.

As always with software, it is different strokes for different folks, and 1.7.7 was my kind of uTorrent (RSS wise, I haven't looked at any other changes really). Others might prefer RSS in 1.8, and if so, I am happy for them.

Now if I were to wish for RSS changes. (being a heavy RSS user as it were :-)

Consolidate all things RSS to a single pop up-like user interface (being able to see the main list of torrents in the background helps with understanding what triggered RSS filter actions/rules while tweaking RSS favorites)

Option to configure RSS feeds into user defined groups. Or, perhaps be to be able to configure a favorite to only match some RSS feeds. (much like the "qualities to match" functionality)

Basically giving the option to configure a favorite to trigger downloads only from specific RSS feeds. In 1.7.7 which I downgraded to, the only way to prevent triggering a download is either to have only one feed for it, or to set it to "all feeds" and then disabling a feed for all favorites.

Cheers,

R

I can only comment the for me it is also - one of the main reasons to choose this client. Since I was involved in it's original design, I was sorry to see it gone away ...

from my personal experience I can tell you - I got used to the new UI, but I do have reservations, and sent some suggestions to the devs. My understanding is - that they will implement improvements and soon.

So, you inputs are important. And since you can keep the favorites dialog open and at the same time - view both feeds & releases - it might be a good start, for the rest of the improvements. I think I might post my list of improvements/issues in the new features' or bugs' section .

After reading some of the other threads I am finding that there is quite a lot of people out there with an RSS fetish :-)

(and also some who couldn't care less and even want it removed/hidden)

Each to their own I guess...

For now, I will stick with 1.7.7, but given the overall development history of uT so far, some future release might contain major improvements for us RSS-heads. Like a dedicated UI or similar. As long as I don't see "fixed the skinning engine" as part of the release notes, there must still be hope right ;-)

Cheers,

R

"engine" = concept/algorithm. "need" = you describing the current state/method. The hint here was - let's change it... have the engine take part of the bitmaps from the skin, and what's missing - from it's defaults (I know, we might have to define additional setup for it - like icons' list related to the bitmaps) . This is good for up-graders that do like to go on using their current icons, and do not care much for the new ones (RSS in our example...). I hope this explains better what I missed in my previous post :)

Archived