Massive memory leak in v1.8 build 11813

Beelzebub

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I registered here because of the responses from the administrators of this forum. The people are telling you that when closing utorrent 1.8 the Ram usage drops down to where it should be, a problem that I have also, and a problem that hasn't existed with the 1.7 version.

If you keep blaiming microsoft (not that it's perfect but not the case with this problem) you will never find the problem to this release.

I have a fresh install of Vista with utorrent 1.8 installed. After 3 hours I couldn't even browse anymore. All the memory (2GB) were eaten. I then closed the processes one by one and found out that utorrent was the problem.

I cannot see why you are telling the forum members that this is in fact an adware or an OS problem when clearly is an utorrent one. Also this didn't happen with 1.7.

Cheers

Antiv: Kasp Internet Security 8

Utorren 1.8:

-Override set to 100MB

-reduce mem usage... unchecked

-enable caching of disk writes... checked

-write out...checked

-write out...checked

-enable caching of disk reads...checked

-turn off...checked

-remove old...checked

-increase automatic...unchecked

-disable...checked

-disable...checked

Just registered to say "same here". 1.7.x worked great, but after i switched to 1.8.x the memory problem appeared. If I download with more then 5-6 MB/sec my free memory goes from ~2.5 GB to 0. In task manager utorrent sometimes seams to be using 40-50MB, other times it goes beyond 2 GB of RAM. There are no problems with lower download speeds, below 2-3MB/sec.

I know its utorrent's fault, because as soon as I close it, my free memory goes back to the way it should be. Tryed the settings you recomended here, but no luck. After a few hours of use, I have to stop everything, close utorrent, wait a few seconds and then reopen it.

It's really not fair to blame Microsoft because these problems only emerged after the new version was installed. It doesnt have anything to do with windows. The old 1.7.x still works great.

It's not "the hard disk cant handle the speed and thats why it happens". My "download folder" are 3x250GB Maxtor's in RAID Stripped config.

And no, I dont have any viruses or spyware on my computer.

Hope you'll acknowledge it's a bug and stop blaming the O.S.

My O.S.: Vista x64, 4GB RAM

As I've said, sometimes the utorrent process gets to 2GB of ram, sometimes its stays at 40-50, but always, a few seconds after I close it, the memory's free again. And it only happens when the download speed goes beyond 5-7MB.

I don't use nvidia firewall, I know about that problem, and anyway, dont have an nvidia chipset. And yes, I tryed bypassing the windows disk cache. I did read the forums before posting ;)

Hi !

I have the same problem.

Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, 4 GB Ram, Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz.

uTorrent 1.8 causes massive memory leak. In about half an hour downloading/uploading with 1-2 MB/s I have no free RAM and of course my PC slows down to a crawl.

When using Process Explorer I can see no process using so much RAM, including uTorrent which uses about 40-50 MB. Yet when I close it, RAM usage immediately drops from the full 4 GB to the usual for my idling system 800 MB.

This situation happens with idle system, nothing non-Windows runs except uTorrent, Comodo Firewall and sometimes Firefox.

Anyway, following your advice I managed to find the correct disk cache settings . Here is a screenshot of what worked for me:

utorrentoi6.th.jpg

Now my up/down speed has been reduced with about 10% . Everything equal to the above picture, as soon as I only check "Enable caching of disk writes" or "Enable caching of disk reads" my free RAM starts dropping 2-3 MB/s until no free mem is left.

And please stop blaming Windows and find a solution to the problem - other torrent clients do not cause such problems in the same circumstances and although uTorrent itself doesn't use 3.5 GB, it directly causes the memory leak. I am forced to reduce its functionality, which in turn reduces up/down speeds only to make it somewhat operable.

For now I keep sticking to uTorrent because I still think apart from this bug it's the best torrent client. I hope a new version will be released soon that corrects this huge annoyance.

I'm not refusing to post ALL the data. I just dont want to install process explorer, make a prinscreen, and post it here. I do not work for utorrent, I'm not a bug-tester (yes, I still say it's utorrent, not windows). I dont have time to do that.

As far as I can see, you dont realy care about solving some bugs from your software, you're just dismissing every comment with "it's windows". Well, I'm back to 1.7.x and guess what? Magicaly, windows doesn't have those problems anymore. I can download with more then 8MB without fear of runnig out of memory. 1.7.x uses about 50MB when downloading with my maximum speed.

I made the first post because i realy enjoy utorrent's ideea, small & fast. I've been using it for more then 18 months, so I thought I can help you by saying "same here" and giving you all the information I can. That way the next version will be better.

Hi Firon (and others).

The issue:

I must say im also one of these people. Please pay a bit more attention to the issue if there is any possible way to solve it.

Microsoft changed ALOT in SP1 for the cashe.

Now when we found out that if we disabled the cashing of files with uTorrent it slows down the application but start to work properly. This should tell you that something has changed, but not your program, yes that is obvious however it does not solve the issue.

Offering my help:

This happend to me before i reinstalled/upgraded my Vista (x86 > x64), and i thought it could have something to do with another application. I didnt care so much and now when i know thats not the case i ended up in here because i like uTorrent i would like to help you solve this. I dont see any issue in working for you for free when you give your program for free to me *smile*. So, just tell me what to do, where and when and ill be your personal danny the dog for a while.

Im building two new computers atm for my community, and one über one to myself. But i can put that on hold just because im willing to do whatever it takes to solve this for you (for me).

Best regards

Henrik

Edit: Im from Sweden, if you want to talk local with me.

This problem never existed on my system (Vista Ultimate x64) until v1.8, now if I leave uTorrent running overnight, as has been my normal policy, when I wake up I'm running 99% memory usage. I'm running 8 gigs of memory here, but as has been stated before, the task manager doesn't show uTorrent to be using all of that memory. However, when I close uTorrent, memory usage drops to 10% where it should be. It may be a windows problem but only v1.8 is making it happen.

I'm extremely interested the fix to this issue.

Archived