Auto file move on completion doesn't work

Capt Lock

Hello,

I Am using XP SP2, Norton Internet Sec. 08, sQusi, Spybot, Ad-Aware 07. I updated to 1.8 las night at the suggestion of utorrent. I download to the default folder and have the folders moved to a new location on completion. I have tried telling the program to send them to this location again in the new 1.8. All worked fine before upgrade.The new location is a 1TB internal HD I have had in plce for months. I couldn't get a screenshot in here SO:

Under preferences:

Move Completed Downloads To: (Checked)

Q:Folder

Noting else is checked or filled in.

Again: Settings as above have worked fine for months, only change is to 1.8.

P.S. Addendum: first time I attempted to install, installer crashed. On second install worked except for above problem. Thank you.

I have the exact same issue. I just upgraded to ver 1.8 (build 11813) and uTorrent no longer moves finished files to the specified directory. The settings are correct as they have not changed. I have even gone as far as to remove the uTorrent folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\uTorrent"

I reinstalled uTorrent and the issue remains. I have XP Pro SP2.

Hold up...

I think I have found where the bug is. My default DL dir is "Z:\torrents\incomplete". Z is a network mapped drive. The files then go to "T:\torrents", another network mapped drive. I have a mac and run XP in VMware Fusion because uTorrent is the most badass torrent client on any OS. It downloads faster in the VM than anything I've seen run natively in OS X while still taking up less resources. I'm telling you this because there is no way there is a network problem. I can access the drives in XP and the "network drives" are physically connected to the machine. When I changed the "move to" dir to "Z:\torrents" the files copied as they normally wold to the set directory. It must have something to do with moving them to the other drive, networked or not.

This thread deserves a bump. Other than that I think I might go back to a ver with a round icon and the buffer overflow vulnerability. Or the uTorrent team could release a ver for OS X!?!?! I know it is not possible to do a strait port as utorrent seems to rely on windows API's. I can't hope can't I? =) If anyone fixes the plz email me as I don't normally get on the forums. Thank you and have a good evening.

Hello Folks,

Littlefire, I frequently use the file in question, it is all correct. No path changes. No changes from one version to the other. It simply worked, and then didn't.

Sean, I am unfamiliar with the mac systems and VMware products, I am running a straight PC system, so I cannot comment on your issue. Also, what's a "bump"?

Thank you both for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I run Windows XP Pro in a virtual machine. To the OS, it thinks it is running on standard OEM hardware. There is the addition of a few custom drivers that let you resize the window and copy and paste between the Parent OS and the VM. Try VMware if you have the time. It's great for trying out new OS's or distros without risking your system. And a bump is just a reply on a topic so it gets more attention. You may not have anything useful to say, but by bumping it you drew others attention to the topic. Aside from all that. It worked one day, then next it was broken was what happened to me. I checked out alot of things before I posted here. It's not my computer. It is uTorrent. I suspect the issue lies in making it more compatible with vista broke something in XP.

If you have similar issues, you should probably start your own thread because your setup will vary from one user to the next.

As for the original poster's setup - I think it is likely due to all the internet security, spyware, adware software you are running. When µTorrent is in the process of moving files, it is likely one of the other programs is also using the file which makes it impossible to move. Use procexp to see what program is holding on to the specific file that should be moved.

For what it is worth, I've been using µTorrent 1.8 all beta-builds where incomplete is c:\incomplete and finished is e:\ -- Never had an issue with files not moving correctly. I also don't run all that security stuff which helps. :)

Folks,

I am sorry. My cofig insists I not leave my Downloads in the default folder. Moving my downloads to the storage folder causes them to not be accessable to utorrent to seed with (something to do with my ignorance I suspect rather than utorrent). I feel it is important to seed back to the system, so as a result, I am moving back to 1.7.7. Had a rep for utorrent suggested something, or even asked for more info, I might have stuck. I hope that this and the other issues do get resolved as this is a fine product. A huge THANK YOU to both thelittlefire and SeanOTheDed for thier attempts to help me.

P.S. Sean, I will take a look at VMware as opportunity permits. I also went through checking a lot on the comp before posting, I agree that it is a utorrent issue. And lastly, that bump thing, you meant a response from a moderator or something, not me right?

Hermanm,

Your input and ANYONE else's is always welcome and invaulable, whether the folks on the other end acknowledge it or not. Unfortunately, your post was not visible to me at the time I wrote my last post, I don't know why, but I suspect it had something to do with the amount of time between posts. Your reasoning is completely understandable, however as this same arrangement served me well with 1.7.7, I believe it should with 1.8 as well.

Firon, I am using the same Norton I did with 1.7.7. Having recently purchased my 1-year subscrption, I am hesitant to just toss the cash spent. As I mentioned to Hermanm, if it worked with 1.7.7, I believe it should with 1.8. Unless a compelling reason for tossing the the $50 dollars can be brought forth, I will continue using the 1.7.7 version of the product until either the issue is resolved or my subscription to Norton expires and I switch to another. (After my previous post, I reinstalled 1.7.7, but am still pining away for 1.8's usefull features) Thank You to ALL who have tried to help in this, I appreciate it, and I suspect that many who browse about looking for answers but do not post appreciate the time and effort you apply to these forums.

Could you at least try it out? You can probably reinstall it afterwards and it'll likely work again once you do.

That being said, Norton has the worst detection rate in the industry, so you might as well not be running anything... AVG Free's certainly a better choice.

Firon,

I will consider it. I have installed AVG on others computers (I fix and build computers and simple networks, 2 semesters shy of a degree). I will be doing a job soon if it all goes well then I may try it. As I said before I liked what worked in 1.8 and would use it freely (and recommend it) if the kinks go away. I am sure the folks doing the coding are doing all they can, and I look forward to using it.

Archived