Terado question

TraderJones

Need it for something? IPv6 addresses are exchanged through PEX, do you have that enabled? Teredo is really for getting to IPv6 only peers, I don't know about behavior when a peer supports IPv6 and IPv4. I guess that would depend on the tracker that hands out the addresses, which hopefully also supports IPv6.

I freely admit I don't know much about ipv6 or Terado yet, so bear with me.

Are you saying that I probably would not see the ipv6 address unless the tracker supports it as well as both peers?

ok, so PEX = Peer Exchange, right? I disable it by default for (what I feel are) security reasons. Am I wrong in this? What, if any, are the risks of having peer exchange enabled?

I don't *need* this for anything, I'm just curious to see how many of the connections actually go through Terado. If I can't tell or it doesn't happen I don't really care, just would like to know....

Trackers can't give IPv6 addresses if they don't support it, but PEX supports it. PEX = Peer EXchange, clients that support this will exchange addresses of known peers when they connect, including IPv6 addresses. Go to the trackers tab and you'll see PEX listed. I don't know about now, but IPv6 had routing problems on the Internet earlier. If the address for a peer is IPv6 only, then that should be used.

Also, any address like the one above is IPv6, addresses that start with what I specified are Teredo IPv6. Someone can have an IPv6 address but not Teredo. Also, the Teredo servers may go down occasionally.

PEX is very good for maintaining peer+seed lists on torrents, whether the trackers are offline or not.

This allows firewalled peers to find unfirewalled peers and seeds far quicker as well.

There is really not much of a reason to ever disable PEX, as it reuses existing peer and seed connections, unlike DHT which uses a separate network and uses UDP packets...or LPD which uses multicast packets.

I'm still not seeing any Teredo connections. I got together with two other users, we all have ipv6/Teredo installed and according to the log, working. All three of us have Peer Exchange enabled in settings. No ipv6 addys are present in the peer list. If I pull up the torrent properties, the checkbox for Peer Exchange is unchecked and greyed out, so maybe Peer exchange is somehow still not enabled?

Is a restart of uTorrent needed after Peer Exchange is enabled?

Just trying to figure out the details.

Archived